[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

Yes, I can confirm that. :wink:

I switched fonts from Hack to Hack Nerd and got the little icons back.

1 Like

Update done , everything went fine, I’m glad to use Plasma 6 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finally bit the bullet today and did my update. Using the TTY was far less painful than I thought it’d be and the update appears to have gone off without a hitch!

Aside from my desktop icons shifting around when I made all of my theme settings default and the fact that I dislike the floating task bar (and can’t figure out how to make it just remain anchored) which I’ll probably get used to eventually. This was very smooth!

3 Likes

looks not “rc” anymore…

uname -a
Linux Zen 6.9.0-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon May 13 07:01:28 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

anyway … with this kernel I get this:

[    0.835076] zswap: compressor lz4 not available, using default zstd
[    0.841054] zswap: loaded using pool zstd/z3fold

it works with zstd, but just… lz4 is supposed to be better, no? (and worked before with 6.8)

Well i just did the update on my AMD CPU/GPU Laptop with Manjaro/KDE, almost everything is working flawlessly, besides some unsharp fonts from shortcuts on desktop and light distorted fonts inside “system settings” menue . If this are the only problems, then i hope its the same for my Intel/nvidia PC.

All what i did was (Timeshift snapshot, just in case):
1.Fresh start
2.Log out
3.crtl+alt+f3 to open TTY
4.sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack
5.sudo systemctl stop sddm
6.sudo pacman -Syu
and spammed Y to replace everything
7.reboot

Im NOT even deleted ./cache or reseted ./config stuff, on my 4year’s old home user account. I’m not even switched any of my Theme to default, that i downloaded from the KDE Store, everything is still customised, only a few icon’s (~1%) are missing. (I’m not using Virtual Desktop or Widgets btw. maybe there are problems? idk)

My Global Theme “Layout” just disappeared (or was deleted, while i updated?), while i still had tranparency/blur effects for my Taskbar/Terminal as before with KDE Plasma 5, so it must be active :man_shrugging:

Edit: My AMD Laptop had performance issue with X11, switch to Wayland in the Login Menue and after that my Window Dragging was smooth again. My Intel/nvidia PC is running fine with the new Plasma6 Update under X11 and gaming working pretty damn good, i love this update, thank you @philm and the other Maintainer’s. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yeah i had to put my desktop icons/shortcuts at the old spotts again.

I fixed the floating taskbar with rightclick on the Taskbar and “Enter Edit Mode” and clicked on the “Floating” switch. DONE

5 Likes

Thank you very much. Clicking on that fixed the annoyance!

I checked both solutions:

1. /etc/profile.d/kde.sh is not existing instead there is the entry /etc/profile.d/manjaro-kde-settings-xdg.sh however the content is totally different :
export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS:-/etc/xdg}:/usr/share/manjaro-kde-settings/xdg

and echo shows:

xxx@xxx ~> echo $XDG_DATA_DIRS
/home/xxx/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share /usr/local/share /usr/share

1. Re/install libx11 does not solve the problem either

Plasma 6 broke my Task Switcher for Thumbnail Grid, if you have the same problem, remove ~/.local/share/kwin/tabbox/thumbnail_grid and it should start working.

My system is crashing constantly with NVIDIA proprietary drivers and kernel 6.9. These are both changes made on this stable release.

If I downgrade to kernel 6.8.9-3 it all works better, but I got a recent crash there as well.

I’ve posted in this link: Crash with nvidia proprietary driver, but mouse moves - #16 by gersonjferreira

Should I downgrade both the kernel and nvidia drivers?

No, but is there a reason you need to be on the absolute latest kernel?
I would at least try 6.6 LTS.

1 Like

Not really. I did I fresh install and it came with 6.9. then I’ve downgraded to 6.8 to try to fix the issue.

But ok. I can try the LTS tomorrow.

Update broke Gnomes “Nautilus” right click “Edit as admin” option, it now tries to open all text files with Gnomes “Videos” instead of “gedit”?, so can no longer edit text files this way, “Open as admin” still works as it should.

I found nothing could fix my constant stutters and freezes on wayland, but they gone once I switched to X11.

One of the first things I did was to revert to the old school panel/taskbar: Right-click the bar, select Enter Edit Mode and flick the Floating toggle.

It doesn’t get much easier than that. Cheers.

I resolved a similar issue by switching the profile from “Built-in” to “Breath”

Not the same issue.
That is the breath profile.
But it is not using a working ‘nerd’ font.
That is why it looks like that, as answered here and in other threads already.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/stable-update-2024-05-13-kernels-plasma-6-gnome-46-lxqt-2-0-nvidia-pacman/161404/454

etc.

No, the built-in Konsole profile uses zsh. :wink:

Oh by gosh you are right.
Its the $SHELL thats bash - they set default shell to zsh using the profile.

1 Like

Are you using Nvidia graphics and Gnome?