[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

That is because your last session was Wayland - what is done script wise when you update - is not interfering with your last choice …

2 Likes

The update went smoothly as always, but I had an issue with plasma6 freezing alone all of a sudden (desktop and taskbar not responding and mouse cursor still working and an alt + tab still shows the apps that I’ve opened) on both Wayland and X11, but I removed linux6x-* and it contained linux6x-nvidia I can have a working environment once again, hopefully this’ll help someone that stumbled on a similar issue.
Edit : still facing the same issue :rofl:

3 Likes

From reading the comments here, apparently resetting all KDE settings was expected‽ There should definitely be a warning in the top post!

3 Likes

KDE … all my own shortcuts have also disappeared, I’ll probably do a restore, the upgrade doesn’t look ready at the moment!

2 Likes

Manjaro KDE - Pre-update

• Removed any custom widgets or themes. Checked ~/.config/*.* for any remnants that might interfere.
  • Switched to a default Global theme (Breeze).
  • Double-checked this announcement thread for possible issues that might affect me specifically.

Manjaro KDE - Update

First impressions

• I’m not liking the new taskbar at all.
    The setting to change that to the previous non-floating taskbar can be found via the Edit Mode dialog. :eyes:
  • Settings items are reorganised; time to retrain the brain.
    “Engineers… they love to change things!”
    – Leonard H. “Bones” McCoy (Star Trek franchise)

Next steps

• Perform updates on actual hardware rather than VM installs.

Cheers.

6 Likes

It’s bound to cause all sorts of “issues.” “Issues” that you, the user and owner need to fix

Edit:

You can set it to fixed, so that it’s not floating anymore. That makes it better.

2 Likes

is this supposed to be a joke?

Nope. Have seen it multiple times.

1 Like

There is no such warning in the top post. If you mean a separate announcement, then I have no idea which one you mean, I only follow “Stable updates” and probably many people do that. Many others do not even do that, but assume that system updates just work™.

5 Likes

In fact, it’s default in Manjaro

Thanks.

The setting is found via the Edit Mode dialog; for the benefit of others.

3 Likes

I’ll try to post my experience updating to KDE 6 later this week, from the Nvidia/X11 side of things and see how it’ll work with Wayland. Am I supposed to turn off Session Restore before the update too?

Post-update, encountered problem with plymouth displaying Manjaro branding at a blown-up resolution. Fixed by downgrading plymouth : I still had the newer version installed from the 2024-02-21 Manjaro stable update.

$ sudo pacman -Syuu
1 Like

My taskbar and start menu got wiped. (And probably some other settings too)

The breeze dark icon theme does not show symbolic icons in dolphin even tho they are there? The breeze icon theme does.

Keepass now has my theme applied to it partially.

1 Like

No they didn’t - they are not compatible with the new Plasma.

Please revert your system to the defaults provided by Plasma 6.

Yes - we know - but any previous customization for plasma 5 is invalid and you have to revert it.

2 Likes

For me the Plasma update worked quite good. Everything stayed in its place, suffice to say I haven’t done any major customization.

There seems to be some issue with font rendering though (Wayland, 150% scaling). The font (Noto Sans) looks weird in some places - notice the “i”:

Other than that I am happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Getting error

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(964/964) checking keys in keyring                                           [###########################################] 100%
(964/964) checking package integrity                                         [###########################################] 100%
(964/964) loading package files                                              [###########################################] 100%
(964/964) checking for file conflicts                                        [###########################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
kwin: /usr/lib/libkwin.so exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
1 Like

Fiiiiinally :slight_smile: Thanks!

3 Likes

Just to add upon that for others, as this update might interfere with heavy customized KDE/GNOME: There is a great HOWTO from @linux-aarhus: HOWTO Update the smart way

1 Like

@philm Please quickly add a warning about KDE settings resetting to the top post! I had other things to do today and did not plan to spend hours on this today, but because there was no warning, I installed updates. Other people should be spared from that hassle.

3 Likes