[Stable Update] 2024-05-13 - Kernels, Plasma 6, Gnome 46, LxQT 2.0, Nvidia, Pacman

In fact - I am the one to blame for adding this note - not Philip.

Most systems on stable branch will not have the latest linux-firmware (20240409.1addd7dc-1.2) as this was released to the repo after last stable snap in mid March.

There is a couple of threads where older kernels has refused to load compressed firmware modules.

To avoid such issues one may need to ensure consistency as described.

1 Like

I have the same problem, but plasmashell --replace does not seem to solve the problem…
edit:

this solution solved my problem with the application launcher, the taskbar displays the active windows and the sound panel works again.

3 Likes

Which is still covered in

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE#Configuration_related

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I had the same issue on one of the three systems that I updated. After executing the command and rebooting the system, the launcher is now populated. For some reason, the search does not work properly, i.e. a couple of applications (e.g. Firefox) cannot be found when I start typing. But I am still happy as the majority of apps are searchable.

1 Like

Check this.
Might be a different app that’s causing it for you; find out and tell us.

After the update pipewire no longer works for me, no audio device can be found. As a workaround I had to get back to pulseaudio packages

1 Like

EDIT: In my case the problem was casued by an outdated config for wireplumber in my ~/.config/wireplumber directory

1 Like

The update broke the game Squad on Steam for me. Launching the game fails with a “failed to load the anti-cheat module” message.

Other Steam games not dependent on Easy Anti-Cheat work fine. If I Timeshift back to before the update Squad works again.

Just thought that I would post that I am still running kernel 5.15 and upgrade seems to have gone OK. linux-firmware is 20240409.1addd7dc-1.1 (not -1.2). Running XFCE.

2 Likes

For those who updated plasma and didn’t read the post, the solution that worked for me was to restore the theming as said, and remove al orphan packages, there was a lot of qt5 and others related to plasma 5, reboot and the icons and menu were back.

1 Like

The XFCE upgrade worked well, but I can’t upgrade my KDE systems …it makes them unusable.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Whenever I log in to session I see this weird graphical glitch

XFCE updated fine, followed upgrade to Python 3.12, which is good since I messed up the proper maintenance of python packages for 3.8, 3.9, 3.10 and now have those directories with packages that I don’t know how to deal with.
So far no issues, and Linux 6.9 seems to be stable and isn’t causing the high CPU temps like in 6.7

I confirm that plasma-firewall thinks ufw is disabled although I verified it is enabled using systemctl status ufw.

When I try to “enable” the firewall using plasma-firewall in the System Settings GUI I get an error:

Error enabling firewall: An error occurred in command 'setStatus':

How to fix `plasma-firewall` error in System Settings GUI when running `ufw`

Open /usr/lib/kde_ufw_plugin_helper.py and change the first line from #!/usr/bin/python3.11 to #!/usr/bin/python3.12. This fixed the issue for me immediately and makes sense since Manjaro is currently on Python 3.12.

2 Likes

This fixed the issue for me, too.

1 Like

May I ask what is a total noob question? I’m use BTRFS and a snapshot is automatically taken prior to any update/upgrade. If I perform this latest system update and things go completely south, is it really as easy to recover as I think?

1. Reboot computer
  2. At Grub menu, reboot from a snapshot
  3. Once the snapshot boots, run Timeshift and restore the same snapshot.
  4. Reboot
  5. From Grub menu, select the normal Manjaro boot option.
  6. Computer boots successfully in pre-update state and I give a sigh of relief.

I’ve done some searching on this and have not found a ton of clarity on restoring from a BTRFS snapshot, and I just want to be prepared. I acknowledge that I should probably know this already as I deliberately chose BTRFS for its recovery capabilities.

Thank you, and happy updating.

Ah, great! There already was an update to libplasma, looks like it fixed the problem.
Thanks!

195 posts were split to a new topic: Sublime text does not detect the dark theme on GNOME

7 posts were split to a new topic: Multiple issues with stable update

I’m getting this error, too. I try installing the 6.6 or 6.8 kernel as suggested and I keep getting this error message so the whole process stops. Do I need to uninstall the nvidia driver first?