[Stable Update] 2024-02-21 - Kernels, KDE, VirtualBox, Calamares, ROCm, Firefox, Thunderbird

There are a lot of warnings like the ones below, and the update failed as a result. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Warning: npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/license already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/license.old
Warning: npm: /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/package.json already exists in filesystem
It has been backed up to /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/wrap-ansi/node_modules/strip-ansi/package.json.old
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: Failed to commit transaction: transaction not prepared

Found recommendations to execute sudo pacman -S npm --overwrite='*' here npm update error in arch · Issue #636 · nodesource/distributions · GitHub. Is this correct?

yes, sudo pacman -S npm --overwrite='*' fixed it

1 Like

If you wish, but as @Teo said, it’s useful for diagnostics … and AFAIK doesn’t affect start-up time.

This is what confused me about @robbie-hatley 's post.

1 Like

if might be insufficient by itself and i won’t bother further with it:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Silent_boot
Thanks
And @Teo

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

~/.profile no longer sourced

Hi everyone!

I’m finishing the update using pacdiff. All files done except the last one: polkit-1.pacsave. I’ve read the known issues section but still confused since I don’t remember I’ve modified polkit-1 file before. Is it safe to just remove polkit-1.pacsave file as pacdiff suggests?

2 posts were split to a new topic: I got a new nvidia error in journal after the update

Well after i updated again with my PC now, i saw also the removal from this package, it was shown in the pamac GUI.

But the additional information about known issues and solution, was a little confusing for me.

Because i thought i had to manually deal with the replacement from bashrc-manjaro… i think it would be better if it not mentionend under know issues, when everything dealed automatically anyways.

A post was merged into an existing topic: When I updated AUR it failed to compile electron24 and an audio related AUR package

Some people had modified their /etc/bash.bashrc, and in that case, they needed to know that those modifications were going to disappear.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Libfluidsynth_plugin.so exists in filesystem

Have you tried Ctrl+Alt+F3 already as TTY1 now contains the last text outrput, TTY2 your current GUI and TTY3 and following are now the text consoles…

:grin:

Solution updated with #2. Thanks for letting us know!
:+1:

P.S. Don’t forget to edit your /etc/skel/.bashrc file too!

Indeed: /etc/.bash.bashrc is the system-wide one, so if you have multiple users, that’s the one to change so @robbie-hatley probably has a multi-user system just like mine…

Help, help, my system is showing me the boot log!!! :upside_down_face:

Thank you for the plymouth modification in this update. Everything went smoothly,
except:

after running pacdiff -s after the update and overwriting /etc/passwd with the pacnew, I could not use sudo anymore, nor log into gui or tty. I noticed my old one was in the first line with /bin/bash.
I had to get the Timeshifted file and copy it back to restore my system’s functionality! (copied the /etc/passwd and /etc/passwd- files back)
Before that I tried modifying the new one to /bin/bash in the first line but that didn’t work.
Noticed there is also the /etc/passwd- file that I didn’t modifly…

How should I go about it now? I don’t want to miss the advantages of the pacnew in the future.

Without my old config I can’t login …

Also

^ I got the same warnings while upgrading. How should I go about it? Change the permissions or ignore the warnings?

See my post here:

1 Like

Has already been posted in this thread;

1 Like