[Stable Update] 2024-01-13 - Kernels, Systemd, Qt5, Mesa, Dbus, Firefox, Thunderbird

This update broke Steam. Launchers of multiple kinds just hang indefinitely, locking up the entire KDE Desktop.

I just did a quick test of Steam and I can launch and play all the 3 games I have installed at the moment on my Cinnamon Desktop, so it seems there’s a problem on your side.
You might want to open a new thread in the support forum, with at least your system specs (“inxi -F” in a terminal) and a copy from the output of Steam (launched from a terminal too).

Mhwd and mhwd-db got 2 updates, one was 2 days ago or so one I got today.
Just wanted to mention that both pamac cli and pacman tell you about a conflict

warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: mhwd-db will be installed before its mhwd dependency

before installation.

(And why do I get it thrice now?)

Anyway just wanted to tell you that I “solved” it by first updading mhwd

sudo pacman -S mhwd

before running
sudo pacman -Syu
again

Unsure if this is good practice but would not know why that’d cause any issue…

Think I also ran sudo pacman -S mhwd again after it was over to reinstall.

Nope. Steam works fine for me on KDE and if it was broken there would be a lot more posts about it. It’s something specific to your system.

Read again. That’s not a conflict. And it goes through without doing anything.

1 Like

Maybe this will help look here.
TLDR: Downgrade pixman 0.43.0-1 back to 0.42.2-1, did the trick for me.

1 Like

Thanks mate, that solved it.

I’ve been spending more time on my SteamDeck lately that I found my main rig 2-3 months behind on updates; and figured today was the day.

Imagine my surprise (post update/reboot) when GRUB only gave me the option to log in as root as I was in “maintenance mode”… rebooted, paid more attention to the scrolling boot text, and found that nvme01 was not a happy camper. I thought it was odd that the system didn’t boot as nvme01 is not my boot/os drive until I remembered drives listed in /etc/fstab need to be there.

Thankfully I remembered the following commands:

1. lsblk -f to get a list of the UUID’s for the drives the system was using, so that I could
  2. nano /etc/fstab and rem out (#) the drive that failed (not in the lsblk list)

Rebooted and all is well (minus a failed drive) as I’m back in the OS once more… but definitely a scary moment. I’m going to have to dig into learning the changes required for “mount on demand” on my non-system drives.

A post was split to a new topic: Graphical issues with kernel 6.6.10

How to access directory without terminal under plasma-wayland?

You’re really missing on the simplicity and speed of the CLI and a sudo nano /path/to/the/directory/name_of the_file > write or paste the text with Ctrl+Shift+V > Ctrl+O to save > Ctrl+X to quit. You could also do a half-way GUI/half-way CLI by creating the file in your home directory with your favorite editor, then sudo cp -v /home/you/your_file /path/to/the/directory/it/should/go/, but if you want to do it the full “GUI and as root”, I recommend you to read those pages:

Kate seems able to handle it, but I can’t confirm this, as I’m using neither KDE nor Wayland…

1 Like

I’ve been through the rigamarole over a decade ago(not completely new to linux, though certainly a bit rusty), just tired of it. I’d like to have the option of going gui/mouse driven interaction when I feel like it. I’m not against doing larger operations via terminal, though. There are situations where it genuinely becomes more convenient that way.

Perhaps Kate can save files into the directory, but alas it can’t browse into it(same as dolphin) so won’t be opening any files from it either. No way to see what even might be inside there if any.

I’m pretty sure this is manjaro specific tho, like KDE/dolphin can if configured for it do these things, but whatever the manjaro polkit rules are just wont allow for it. I’m on Testing btw, may have something to do with it perhaps.

Have you tried this ?

Otherwise, I think Manjaro allows GUI login as root, so you could do your editing, and log out / log back in as your regular user when done.
It might not be as convenient as what you would like, but could be the next best (and simple) thing…

No but I’ve tried this without success:

I recon it’s probably essentially the same thing. TBH it’s probably time to distro hop and work with a clean install again anyways so I’m probably going to stop diggin’ on this systems issues soon. They aren’t major, but annoying enough.

kde /plasma walled garden issues … pkexec kate or sudo kate fail…

I tend to use mc (midnight commander) a console based gui app for this kind of thing

sudo mc

You’ll need to silence any f10 shortcut in order to exit cleanly , or use the mouse… has a built in editor function

activate under options/panel → lynx-like motion and you can use the arrow keys to change directories

1 Like

There is no need to use pkexec or sudo with kate, because kate is polkit-aware. It will ask you for a password when needed.

3 Likes

NO NO !!!
The official way ! kde recommends using the admin protocol, which works with dolphin if kio-admin is installed
dolphin admin:///etc/

And, with kio-admin, we have in dolphin a menu “open as admin” : dolphin - config - context menu - Administrative Actions :wink: (dolphin display this context menu only in directories owned by root)

6 Likes

If it absolutely has to be, then maybe like this:

sudo pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dbus-launch dolphin

Thanks for the tip, it seems I missed that one! As I said, I don’t use KDE on Manjaro, and rather use the CLI when I’m on Mageia and OpenSuse, but I will give it a try next time I boot one of those…
@megalomaniakaal that might indeed be the answer to your problem, as the one who wrote it said the reason for doing it was “I’ve gotten annoyed with the inability to manage system files so I’ve made a KIO worker that enables Dolphin to view and edit files as root.:wink:
Have a look here: KIO Admin | 💺 Blog

2 posts were split to a new topic: Update fails after some time