[Stable Update] 2023-11-28 - Kernels, Firefox, Appstream 1.0, Blender 4.0, Cinnamon

On my x1 carbon gen 9, the update left me without sof-firmware, so no sound. Installing sof-firmware fixed it. This did not happen on other machines.

Are you running a dual-boot/multi-boot with a different OS that owns the grub?

If so, go into the OS that owns the grub and “sudo update-grub” so it can re-read your Manjaro system.

After the update my computer gets bugged after about 10 minutes of use. Spotify sound output stops and all applications content is unusable (not refreshing) only the windows decorations and buttons work as normal. But close button does nothing as almost all applications hang.

1 Like

I have problems with graphics acceleration after the update to GNOME 45. I reported on it here and now I try to get som help in this topic I made. Thanks for help & suggestions.

See https://github.com/ryanoasis/nerd-fonts/issues/1434

Yet another Blender crashes with AMD gpu, works fine on Intel and Nvidia on my other PCs.

It seems too be a problem with openshadinglanguage being compiled with LLVM-15 when Blender is compiled with LLVM-16.

2 Likes

gamescope is broken
but gamescope-plus is ok

Do you happen to be running an AMD processor and recently updated to 6.6 kernel?

I had similar behavior after last update under the 6.6 kernel. Watched my processes for a bit and eventually saw all newly spawned processes get shoved into a ‘disk sleep’ run state which essentially felt like a ‘hung’ system even though a number of older process would continue to function for a while. Also didn’t seem to matter what CPU scheduler or governor I used, the system would eventually spiral.

It went away as soon as I removed the 6.6 kernel and went back to either 6.1 or 6.5. I’ve assumed it had to do with the scheduler change that I heard about and possibly related to the latest CPU vulnerability on the platform. Figured I’d try kernel 6.6 again after I did a BIOS update for the AGESA microcode update that resolves the security issue. shrug

1 Like

A bit more information on your system would be great. CPU, Graphics, Desktop, Kernel???

After upgrading i am experiencing problems with the bluetooth stack on thinkpad t14s. all bt connetions are failing after ~10 minutes uptime. restarting bluetooth service helps for a few seconds. not sure which package caused this, tried kernel 6.6.2 and 6.1.63. reverting btrfs snapshot pre update resolves the problem. the only package related is libgusb. any ideas?

Edit:

Seems to be a bug in the new kernel versions: 218142 – Bluetooth adapter fails to recognize on kernel 5.15.0-88-generic

Just a note for anyone who gets issues launching any GNOME app after upgrade;

There’s a commonly fetched package in the AUR called libadwaita-without-adwaita-git. Some people install it to theme their gtk4 applications. I was one of those people. With the bump to libappstream, I feel like a lot of people who enabled the AUR and aren’t quite as tech-savvy might be pulling their hair out figuring out why nothing loads any more.

Just make sure to switch back to the official libadwaita, then update for good measure

pamac install libadwaita
pamac update

or

sudo pacman -Syu libadwaita

Moderator edit: Corrected commands

2 Likes

As a side note: non tech savvy users on stable branch are not supposed to replace system components with aur git versions, because this WILL at some point in the future, break, as you discovered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am running kernel 6.5 (same with 6.6) here — since the last update (or the previous one, I didn’t check) my Wacom tablet is busted (X11, will try with Wayland — tried, works with Wayland, although it’s a bit pesky).

Symptoms: I can use the pen to move the cursor, but as soon as I click anywhere the gnome-shell interface freezes, and the only way to recover it is to call the prompt with Alt-F2 and then press “ESC”.

Does anybody experience that?

Post Data: It seems this one: Fix tablets on X11 having the wrong device (!3393) · Merge requests · GNOME / mutter · GitLab , which should be merged in Gnome 46…

Kernel 6.5 is EOL.
You should upgrade to 6.6

I tried with 6.6, but nothing changed. The tablet still freezes the interface in Xorg, and works in Wayland. Thank you for the heads-up.

Well, 6.1 is also LTS, you can try that.

I¡ll try, but the fact that it fails in Xorg, and works (although without recognizing the special functions on the key) on Wayland, makes me quite suspicious that the problem is not in the kernel, but maybe in xinput drivers… (which I admit I have no idea on how to check).

Thank you. In this thread the maintainer states he found another workaround for the issue he wanted to solve in first place and thus added back the additional names.
The Manjaro Stable Updates from today December 1st already has the new versions and both names are back again.

# fc-list |grep SauceCodeProNerdFont-Regular.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/SauceCodeProNerdFont-Regular.ttf: SauceCodePro Nerd Font,SauceCodePro NF:style=Regular

I’m sorry. This is completely off topic. But this :point_down:

…sounds like the start of a bad infomercial…

1 Like