[Stable Update] 2023-11-06 - Kernels, Gnome 45.1, Plasma 5.27.9, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire

After recent updates there are the following issues:

More than agree, ZFS is major FS it should be supported and it works in many distros and bsds. If it fails it means something wrong not with ZFS but with environment.

6 Likes

OK, I’ll recheck the packaging. Maybe some went wrong in placing the modules.

3 Likes

After the update parts of GNOME (the applications) have green accent (Maia) and part (the shell) appear in default GNOME blue. How do I make it consistent like it was before? I prefer Maia accent.

1 Like

@staff The current version of VapourSynth is broken, upgrade to Arch Linux - vapoursynth R65-1 (x86_64) please

check with @Yochanan on how to do it.

I might fix other zfs modules later today: [pkg-upd] 2.2.0-1.0 (78305c7d) · Commits · Packages / Extra / linux66-extramodules / zfs · GitLab

2 Likes

I felt adventurous, so I tried pacman -S linux65-zfs --overwrite /usr/lib/modules/6.5.9-1-MANJARO/extramodules. Also /usr/lib/modules/6.5.9-1-MANJARO only contained a single file “version”, which contains the current kernel name.

Sadly it didn’t work. The boot hangs while loading the zfs module.
Had to revert to a snapshot I created beforehand and recreate the initramfs from a stick via chroot.

My guess is, that linux66-zfs will behave in the same way.

Solved: found sddm-maia-theme was just a relict lying around… deleted.

Why is my gnome version 45.0 and not 45.1

1 Like

pacman would not update for the reasons mentioned about kpeople5 and kcontancts5. I uninstalled kdeconnect and it’s dependances to no avail. So I tried @gzyms advice to use Pamac which worked fine. I reinstalled, kdeconnect without issue. I reran pacman -Syu and ended up with the warning manjaro-panew-checker: local (0.5.4-1) is newer than extra (05.3-1) Which is not an issue for me right now. This was on my old laptop. For my newer desktop, I just used Pamac straight away without issue.

this change resulted in linux61 and linux61-zfs to break:

pacman -S linux61 linux61-headers linux61-zfs --overwrite /usr/lib/modules/6.1.60-1-MANJARO/extramodules
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) linux61-6.1.60-1  linux61-headers-6.1.60-1  linux61-zfs-2.2.0-1

Total Installed Size:  290.43 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(3/3) checking keys in keyring                                                       [------------------------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) checking package integrity                                                     [------------------------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) loading package files                                                          [------------------------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts                                                    [------------------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
/usr/lib/modules/6.1.60-1-MANJARO/extramodules exists in both 'linux61' and 'linux61-zfs'
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

And yes neither linux65(-zfs) nor linux66(-zfs) currently allow affected systems to boot, although kernel modules and initcpio look fine.

From the current Stable Update 2023-11-06 announcement:

Most or our Kernels got updated or rebuilt:

• dropped ZFS support.
    There is still some dkms support but we are considering to drop it completely

See ZFS package changes above, and read related comments in this thread, if needed.

yes, but it seems that some errors where made and @philm is still trying to not leave people with broken systems. I wanted to chime in on these efforts.

Dropping support for it is fine. People should migrate to something else like off of ZFS or to another distro (like cachyos) if manjaro cannot support it anymore.

Please tell me if I miss understand these efforts and I am wasting my and everybody else’s time.

Same here!

Yes, that seems to summarise it. :slight_smile:
I thought you were simply asking for a solution:

Aside:- BTRFS might be a good alternative (I’ve noticed more people are choosing it lately); EXT is fine for my needs.

I do not think BTRFS is a suitable alternative for ZFS at least for many of us. In case anyone cares, there was an interesting discussion on Late Night Linux a while ago featuring BTRFS advocate Neal Gompa and ZFS advocate Jim Salter discussing the merits of both file systems (link). Thus, dropping ZFS support from Manjaro would be total showstopper for some of us. I can only hope the team will reconsider. Maybe you could even give ZFS a spin.You might come to like it after all. :blush:

Note: While I hate writing those stereotypical “me too” responses, I feel it is important to illustrate how many of us use and, respectively, rely on ZFS. Please, please keep ZFS supported on Manjaro!

5 Likes

Once again “Stable” update broke OS, this time harder for those with encryption.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Getting error message: invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)

I would agree. ZFS has the most useful features of any filesystem I have used, and is relatively easy to administer.

I have lots of data (a lifetime of Pictures) on backup RAID with ZFS. Have been running ZFS on root for years. zboot is phenomenal with zfs to boot into any snapshot, kernel command lines are easy to set up. No GRUB or systemd boot. I do heavily rely on and use ZFS.

One of the main reasons I switched to Manjaro was the painless ZFS support, I would hate to leave such a nice distribution. I would second, please, please keep ZFS support on Manjaro!

7 Likes

Running Xfce4 on AMD Ryzen with Nvidia GT710, I encountered a slight hickup with the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
Pamac showed a conflict with the modules for kernel 6.1, which I still had as fallback-kernel. I tried to switch to the OS drivers with

mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

but on reboot lightdm could not be started.
I had to remove the proprietary drivers

mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-470xx

then reboot again. Lightdm started fine and I could finish the upgrade.

Unfortunately, I found out that Zoom (flatpak) seems to not like the open source drivers because it crashed several times during a meeting, so I tried switching back to the proprietary

mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

and reboot and since then Zoom has not crashed anymore.