[Stable Update] 2023-11-06 - Kernels, Gnome 45.1, Plasma 5.27.9, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire

From the current Stable Update 2023-11-06 announcement:

Most or our Kernels got updated or rebuilt:

• dropped ZFS support.
    There is still some dkms support but we are considering to drop it completely

See ZFS package changes above, and read related comments in this thread, if needed.

yes, but it seems that some errors where made and @philm is still trying to not leave people with broken systems. I wanted to chime in on these efforts.

Dropping support for it is fine. People should migrate to something else like off of ZFS or to another distro (like cachyos) if manjaro cannot support it anymore.

Please tell me if I miss understand these efforts and I am wasting my and everybody else’s time.

Same here!

Yes, that seems to summarise it. :slight_smile:
I thought you were simply asking for a solution:

Aside:- BTRFS might be a good alternative (I’ve noticed more people are choosing it lately); EXT is fine for my needs.

I do not think BTRFS is a suitable alternative for ZFS at least for many of us. In case anyone cares, there was an interesting discussion on Late Night Linux a while ago featuring BTRFS advocate Neal Gompa and ZFS advocate Jim Salter discussing the merits of both file systems (link). Thus, dropping ZFS support from Manjaro would be total showstopper for some of us. I can only hope the team will reconsider. Maybe you could even give ZFS a spin.You might come to like it after all. :blush:

Note: While I hate writing those stereotypical “me too” responses, I feel it is important to illustrate how many of us use and, respectively, rely on ZFS. Please, please keep ZFS supported on Manjaro!

5 Likes

Once again “Stable” update broke OS, this time harder for those with encryption.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Getting error message: invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)

I would agree. ZFS has the most useful features of any filesystem I have used, and is relatively easy to administer.

I have lots of data (a lifetime of Pictures) on backup RAID with ZFS. Have been running ZFS on root for years. zboot is phenomenal with zfs to boot into any snapshot, kernel command lines are easy to set up. No GRUB or systemd boot. I do heavily rely on and use ZFS.

One of the main reasons I switched to Manjaro was the painless ZFS support, I would hate to leave such a nice distribution. I would second, please, please keep ZFS support on Manjaro!

7 Likes

Running Xfce4 on AMD Ryzen with Nvidia GT710, I encountered a slight hickup with the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
Pamac showed a conflict with the modules for kernel 6.1, which I still had as fallback-kernel. I tried to switch to the OS drivers with

mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

but on reboot lightdm could not be started.
I had to remove the proprietary drivers

mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-470xx

then reboot again. Lightdm started fine and I could finish the upgrade.

Unfortunately, I found out that Zoom (flatpak) seems to not like the open source drivers because it crashed several times during a meeting, so I tried switching back to the proprietary

mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

and reboot and since then Zoom has not crashed anymore.

I pushed another set of zfs packages. Please test and give feedback:

:: Different overlay package(s) in repository extra x86_64

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                             PACKAGE           2023-11-07           2023-11-08
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        linux419-zfs              2.2.0-1              2.2.0-2
                        linux510-zfs              2.2.0-1              2.2.0-2
                        linux515-zfs              2.2.0-1              2.2.0-2
                         linux54-zfs              2.2.0-1              2.2.0-2
                         linux61-zfs              2.2.0-1            2.2.0-1.0
                         linux65-zfs              2.2.0-1            2.2.0-1.0
                         linux66-zfs              2.2.0-1            2.2.0-1.0
3 Likes

Thanks for your advice. Damn this release and those who did it! I’ve been in hell for days now! Nothing works. The computer freezes, the picture freezes at the most unexpected moments. To get to the desktop manages to 15-17 times. All this time like a fool sitting and restarting the computer. Coolers are constantly cranked to 100, LA system 2.4-2.9.
@philm What the ■■■■ is going on?

@zo0M and @xaGe: to figure out what happend you may need to provide more info about your installation. Like which Desktop Environment and Kernel are used. Also the content of /var/log/pacman.log with the info of your last updates might help to understand which packages got actually installed/upgraded. [HowTo] Find system information

3 Likes

I downloaded an image of the latest version of Manjaro GNOME, reinstalled the operating system and NOTHING has changed - if I’m lucky and the monitor doesn’t freeze when the OS boots, I get to the login screen 5-7 times, and that’s usually where everything freezes - I see only the background and the cursor looks like X symbol. No user selection for login is displayed, nothing else is displayed at all! All the coolers of my laptop start spinning at full power, and I can’t even switch to the 2nd console! The computer goes into a coma and is frantically spinning the fans trying to take off, apparently.

Did you bother to check this downloaded image for consistency?

Please provide necessary logs and other requested information. May I suggest, a new thread might also be appropriate.

1 Like

Hey man, thank you, philm. I haven’t had the time to look into this fully until this morning and have fixed it after looking over the pacman.log as you suggested. I found this from that Monday upgrade.

[2023-11-06T14:56:58-0500] [ALPM] error: problem occurred while upgrading plasma-workspace
[2023-11-06T14:56:58-0500] [ALPM] upgraded plasma-workspace (5.27.8-2 -> 5.27.9.1-1)

Despite declaring an error, says it updated the package. Not sure why it failed, but that could definitely be the issue looking suspicious I just reinstalled that package, rebooted, logged right in and everything was working as it should.

As a 10+ year Manjaro user, I appreciate your continued efforts! :metal:t4:

3 Likes

Imagine, I did.
As you might realize if you read carefully, my system is literally comatose. how do I get the logs out of it in this state?

I had to install an older version of the system (once again). at least it works!

Live usb session?

3 Likes

Maybe, but it doesn’t make sense anymore. As I said, I needed to work, not ■■■■ around with a broken operating system, so I just rolled back to the previous version.

I just completed…

sudo pacman -R kpeoplevcard kdeconnect libkipi kpmcore3 partitionmanager3

pamac update

Saw references to updated Kernels and ZFS packages:

linux510                               5.10.199-1                (5.10.197-1)                        core      79.3 MB
linux510-headers                       5.10.199-1                (5.10.197-1)                        core      30.8 MB
linux510-nvidia                        535.129.03-2              (535.129.03-1)                      extra     53.2 MB
linux510-virtualbox-host-modules       7.0.12-2                  (7.0.10-15)                         extra     175.5 kB
zfs-utils                              2.2.0-2                   (2.1.13-1)                          extra     32.0 MB
linux510-zfs                           2.2.0-2                   (2.1.13-1)                          extra     1.4 MB
linux515                               5.15.137-1                (5.15.133-1)                        core      104.9 MB
linux515-headers                       5.15.137-1                (5.15.133-1)                        core      33.4 MB
linux515-nvidia                        535.129.03-2              (535.129.03-1)                      extra     55.2 MB
linux515-virtualbox-host-modules       7.0.12-3                  (7.0.10-15)                         extra     265.7 kB
linux515-zfs                           2.2.0-2                   (2.1.13-1)                          extra     1.6 MB
linux61                                6.1.60-1                  (6.1.55-1)                          core      145.5 MB
linux61-headers                        6.1.60-1                  (6.1.55-1)                          core      35.5 MB
linux61-nvidia                         535.129.03-2              (535.129.03-1)                      extra     55.6 MB
linux61-virtualbox-host-modules        7.0.12-3                  (7.0.10-20)                         extra     298.1 kB
linux61-zfs                            2.2.0-1.0                 (2.1.13-1)                          extra     1.8 MB

pamac completed updates, no issue. Rebooted. No Issues.

$ uname -a
Linux dldsk01 6.1.60-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Oct 25 13:06:34 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ zfs --version
zfs-2.2.0-1
zfs-kmod-2.2.0-1

Thank you for the support!

I’m a Manjaro ZFS on Root user using Refind and ZFSBootMenu. Highly suggest ZFS users to run away from GRUB based ZFS usage. ZBM provides a working boot environment to create snapshots, clone/promote snapshots, and should you need it a chroot environment. If you don’t need that, it just loads up Manjaro. Be sure to enable pacman hook to take ZFS snapshot.

6 Likes

Just finished two installs and can confirm that linux61-zfs and linux66-zfs are working.

sudo pacman -S --noconfirm linux61-headers linux61-zfs

sudo pacman -S --noconfirm linux66-headers linux66-zfs

created pool and datasets so thanks for uploading linuxxxx-zfs packages.

4 Likes