[Stable Update] 2023-10-13 - Pipewire, Mattermost, Qt5, Haskell, Python

Do you have the kvantum-theme-matchama theme installed?

If so, uninstall it:

sudo pacman -R kvantum-theme-matchama

Here’s why:

Cheers.

Install it:-
Manjaro Kernels

Cheers.

This might be related:

pamac…
- unable to satisfy dependency 'libdav1d.so=7-64' required by ffmpeg

pacman…

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace plasma-framework with extra/plasma-framework5? [Y/n]
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "libdav1d.so=7-64", a dependency of "ffmpeg"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      ffmpeg
1 Like

Just ran into that same dependency problem a few minutes ago. I guess it’s related to something that @philm did a little while ago –

1 Like

Same libdav1d.so issue here. I’ve switched to Kubuntu 22.04 as my main boot a little while ago because I started using Davinci Resolve and audio didn’t work here and I couldn’t fix it after 5 hours.

Was hoping to come back to manjaro as my main after seeing pipewire in the updates, but nope. I love(d) a lot about Manjaro, but this update has reminded me why I hardly boot to it anymore; both the other times I boot to it since maining Kubuntu 22.04 I had issues to fix, and this time I have an issue again and I can’t even figure out how to fix it.

Probably going to keep manjaro around, but kubuntu 22.04 reminded me that nothing manjaro offers come close to outweighing the saved time, if used as a main system for doing actual work instead of tinkering and learning stuff.

1 Like

I have the same problem, this is first time doing something like that.

I tried follogwing Downgrading_packages on wiki, but can’t install downgrade package because of the same issue.

Is it the best option to wait until the next realase when this is fixed or do I have to do a downgrade somehow?

I’m going to follow the advice of @Aragorn and wait it out.

2 Likes

This, in itself, is one of the cornerstones of using Linux, no matter what distribution you might consider easier. Every system has its own share of bugs, inconsistencies, and annoyances; frequently attributable to human error or the introduction of foreign software.

DaVinci Resolve, being that it comes from the AUR, is unsupported on Manjaro. The 5 hours of troubleshooting is irrelevant, in my opinion, as is any inference that blame should remain with Manjaro, which is a rolling distribution; a moving target, if you will.

That said, it’s often likely help will be given by forum members, regardless, whether it may take 5 hours (or 5 days) to isolate a problem; dependent on how effectively one provides useful information, naturally.

Wasted time is a luxury not many of us can afford, but is it truly wasted if something is learned through the experience? I think not.

Incidentally, I used Kubuntu once and found it too curated for my liking. Taste is a curious thing, though. Good luck with whichever Linux you choose; and be excellent. :guitar: :vulcan_salute:

Cheers.

Tar Manual; ArchWiki

4 Likes

Hi,

bug report

[nls@lap ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for nls: 
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core                                                                          144,7 KiB  1607 KiB/s 00:00 [###############################################################] 100%
 extra                                                                           8,6 MiB  4,99 MiB/s 00:02 [###############################################################] 100%
 community                                                                      29,0   B  2,83 KiB/s 00:00 [###############################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                                      145,1 KiB  5,25 MiB/s 00:00 [###############################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: dav1d: downgrading from version 1.3.0-1 to version 1.2.1-1
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing dav1d (1.2.1-1) breaks dependency 'libdav1d.so=7-64' required by ffmpeg
:: installing dav1d (1.2.1-1) breaks dependency 'libdav1d.so=7-64' required by ffmpeg4.4
[nls@lap ~]$ 

dav1d is required by chromium, electron21, electron25, ffmpeg, ffmpeg4.4, kodi, libavif, libheif, and is optional for vlc.

pacman -Qi dav1d | grep 'Required By\|Optional For'

On this system (KDE stable) everything is current, and there is no conflict indicated. I have only recently reinstalled Kodi, which may have upgraded the libdav1d.so version in the process. This might also be true of the other packages mentioned, if any of them have a freshly updated version available.

Updating or reinstalling any of these might resolve the inconvenience of dav1d being downgraded.

Incidentally, there is some active discussion in [Testing Update 2023-10-11] as I write; as well as (scroll up dude/dudette) in the current thread.

Cheers.

An update on the strange conflict between tar-1.35-2 and restore from the “dump” package. Evidently there’s been a “restore” script in the tar bundle for a long time (since 2004), but it appears that it’s only been packaged with Manjaro’s tar bundle from the latest version. It must be that other distros haven’t been including it, as I’ve used several since 2004 without finding this conflict before.

Maybe.

The easiest remedy (only from our perspective) would be for the devs of either package to rename it. From their perspective, I imagine it’s a little more complicated.

Indeed. I suspect this is why distros seem not to have hitherto included the script in their bundles. I’ve just had a look at the Debian and Ubuntu tar packages (admittedly not a great sample as one is based on the other) and the restore script is also omitted from them.

check this for ffmpeg warning issue

Cannot upgrade due to "libdav1d.so=7-64", a dependency of "ffmpeg" and "ffmpeg.4"." - #4 by Kirito21

Perhaps a manjaro-dump-restore fix is needed.

(Note for passers-by; this doesn’t really exist.)

You are a truly brave individual. :lion:

A bit more digging reveals that the dump package no longer exists in the repos. So clearly if it isn’t there it won’t be expected to conflict with files in the tar package.

I think moving my dump and restore files to /usr/local/bin is looking like the way ahead. Or perhaps I need to find time to investigate more modern backup methods (a shame to have to change what I’ve been doing for 25 years, but such is life…)

plasma-wayland-session breaks the actual stable-release if i switch to a console with Strg-Alt-F if i switch back to the graphical session. plasma-x11 works without problem.

Or, move them to: ~/.local/bin as this will take precedence over /usr/local/bin.

https://dudeism.com/faq/
Q: Can women be Dudeists?

A: Of course. We feel that “dude” is a gender-neutral word (see “What is Dudeism“?). Just as it’s no longer acceptable to call female actors “actresses,” we don’t recognize the epithet “dudette.” Dude is a philosophy and has nothing to do with maleness or femaleness.

Murmurs arising from the Dudeian Liberation Front? :cowboy_hat_face:

Q: Do you really have over 600,000 Ordained Dudeist priests all over the world?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: