[Stable Update] 2023-10-13 - Pipewire, Mattermost, Qt5, Haskell, Python

Are you talking about the desktop layout? I used to have the same problem, apparently caused by a single widget: Event calendar. Its initialization is kinda weird that it likes to resize itself to some numbers it want and it pushes other widgets out of their place.

1 Like

No, it’s the desktop initialization.

I have two panels — a thin one at the top that spans the entire width of the screen and holds various widgets, among which the global menu, and a slightly thicker short and floating one at the bottom, which holds the pagers and the icons-only task manager. The Plasma theme I’m using is transparent, but supports the blur effect. :point_down:

Upon logging in, I only got the top panel, empty, without blur. The bottom panel wasn’t there, and although the mouse could be moved, right-clicking the desktop had no effect.

This has been the case after each of the last three Stable updates.

I also use this, and I’ve not had the issues. So I guess this:

…means it’s time for the Great Bug Hunt of 2023. If only you could offer a reward on Issuehunt…

1 Like

I did have issues with the global menu when I used it. But apparently only some apps like gedit not using it and hence hiding the menu from me completely.
Might be Kvantum then also. It is recommended to not have it enabled upon updating and switch back to deafults, also including desktop layout before the update.
Hope my thoughts help.
[This is intended to help Aragorn’s bug hunt, not my feedback on this update]

2 Likes

For global menu support in gtk-based applications, you need to install appmenu-gtk-module. However, some gtk apps don’t have a menu they can export — e.g. pamac, timeshift, et al.

That’s only when updating Plasma to a newer generation. But 5.27 is the last of the 5.x series, and there wasn’t even an increase in the maintenance level now — we’re still on 5.27.8.

I appreciate it, but I think it’s a matter of something keeping Plasma from shutting down while pretending that it did shut down. :thinking:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why hasn’t been curl updated to latest version 8.4.0?

Yes, always. :wink:

2 Likes

Minor issue: Konsole has an obligatory frame now. I was unable to find an option to disable the frame on its own, it’s bundled with the titlebar removal, so I did that, reluctantly.

System tray is broken:
can’t change volume
can’t change screen brightness

1 Like

Probably a theme issue. Working fine with the default Breath theme.

1 Like

For example, the Matchama Kvantum theme which is no longer supported; causing a few problems of late.

My simultaneous output audio sink (for both displayport audio outputs) stopped working with this PipeWire update - playback crashes.
Neither pulesautio module-combine-sink nor pipewire native libpipewire-module-combine-stream works.

I’ve downgraded pipewire alsa, pulse and audio to 0.3.80 and it works again.

1 Like

probably at the time, the exact vulnerability was not disclosed and curl devs took their time in getting it ready. as soon as it was relesed it was available from arch and unstable branch.

as member of a stable branch you should realize “stability” and “having latest patches” are mutually exclusive, having latest-greatest be it security or bug fixes, are of no use if those new changes lead you show-stopping regressions. this is the gamble you should take when are on a rolling-relase model distro. closer you are to the unstable branch the sooner you get all the latest stuff, closer to the stable branch, you get the resonably tested stuff,

you just cant have both!!!

5 Likes

All true.

I also acknowledge that releasing raw data prematurely can be counter-productive; but as information was already out there, it was probably still relevant to the thread in question.

Electron broke for me, every application causes a core dump (electron, electron24, electron25).
Tried reinstalling e.g. pipewire, the electron packages and the ones using them (code, obsidian, mattermost-desktop).

coredump:

(No debugging symbols found in /usr/lib/electron25/electron)
[New LWP 17221]
Core was generated by `/usr/lib/electron25/electron /usr/lib/code/out/cli.js /usr/lib/code/code.js'.
Program terminated with signal SIGBUS, Bus error.

#0  0x00007f7c1f49c22a in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#1  0x00007f7c1f4810d4 in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#2  0x00007f7c1f4826b1 in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#3  0x00007f7c1f47c715 in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#4  0x00007f7c1f47b4e1 in _dl_catch_exception () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#5  0x00007f7c1f47cb75 in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#6  0x00007f7c1f498150 in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#7  0x00007f7c1f494cd3 in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#8  0x00007f7c1f49643e in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#9  0x00007f7c1f4952a8 in  () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#10 0x0000000000000003 in  ()
#11 0x00007fff307db8f6 in  ()
#12 0x00007fff307db913 in  ()
#13 0x00007fff307db92c in  ()
#14 0x0000000000000000 in  ()

Any ideas?

edit: updated kernel to 6.5.5, no changes
edit2: I’m on X

edit3:
I tracked down the problem, I noticed no audio output available. I then investigated pipewire, removed pulseaudio etc. and while installing pipewire-git it failed due to a avcodec issue.
→ reinstalling ffmpeg solved the issue.
However, I completed the switch to pipewire afterwards (installing pipewire-pulse, manjaro-pipewire and stuff).

I’m having issues updating icon themes from KDE System Settings.
Error transferring [loooong-pling.com-url]
(However their site pling.com seems to be up. I shut down Postmaster as well to try.)

EDIT: RESOLVED !!!

Do you use combined sink module? I’m pretty sure it’s a pulsewire 0.3.81 issue (or change that requires different approach to do simultaneous output), as it goes away with pulsewire downgraded to previous version.

I do not.

At face value, that’s at least a workaround until more information is available; which is better than none.

Which … stuff?

I noticed minor loss of customisation; which didn’t seem to extend much past a few links; no big deal, really, as I don’t tend to use most of the bells and whistles in any case.

You took your own advice, right, and performed the update from a TTY without the GUI being loaded? :guide_dog: :man_shrugging:

Maybe other issues are also related to my post above, try reinstalling ffmpeg maybe.

best regards