[Stable Update] 2023-09-10 - Kernels, Systemd, Firefox, Thunderbird, LLVM

A post was split to a new topic: Steam crash after closing the game

Gave 6.1 another chance, power management is still bad. Back to 5.15ā€¦maybe the next LTS will get it right

Happened on my set up too.

Small minor issues, but the minimize, maximize, and close icons in the upper right corner disappeared for Firefox and Remmina. BTW, Iā€™m using KDE Plasma.

Maybe you need to update theme? I have no issue on Firefox with KDE on my systems.

Mesa nonfree repo has been updated, but lib32 version there is still at 23.1.2, using llvm15 (and there are no 32-bit llvm libs available currently).

To get steam running, Iā€™ve manually downloaded and installed lib32-mesa-1.23.1.7-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst from nonfree.eu testing repository.

I wonder what is the cause of discrepancy between manjaro and nonfree.eu repos. It has been flawless up to that point.

2 Likes

Every indication is that it wonā€™t unless you make a post at the kernel forum so they know about your special issue and can do something about it. If it has been broken since 5.15 that area of the kernel is not actively being worked at.

1 Like

Upgrading manjaro-i3-settings (20221117-1 ā†’ 20230912-1)ā€¦ [2/2]
xset: unable to open display ā€œā€
Error: manjaro-i3-settings: command failed to execute correctly

i donā€™t know, I guessthis refers to the failing xset command. but why?

The GNOME animations on my Lenovo AMD Z16 laptop have become slow and stuttering since this update. The animations to open the overview or change workspaces have been butter smooth before and are now stuttering. I donā€™t see anything suspicious in journalctl. Is anyone else with an AMD based system experiencing something similar? I use Wayland and the open source GPU drivers.

This package upgrade didnā€™t do anything but change the default application for pdf:

Your issue must have some other cause.

right. the fail is caused by the install script:

According to Phoronix, the default CPU governor for AMD CPUs since kernel 6.5 should be amd pstate driver in active mode.

However, Manjaro is still using acpi driver by default (Iā€™ve checked both 6.5.1 and 6.6rc1).
Is there any specific reason why Manjaro is still using the old governor?

It is possible to enable amd_pstate_epp, itā€™s just not being used by default.

yes but please open a thread for it.
that question isnā€™t that simple to answer and iā€™ll also expect a philosophic aspect beside it.

Becauseā€¦ not everyone is using an AMD processor,maybe? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Could/Should this be added to the update announcements, or under ā€œAdditional Infoā€ maybe?

1 Like

Thatā€™s not a bad idea, but then it should be included for every update in each of the three branches.

The advice is not new, however. Weā€™ve been telling people that for ages already. But of course, the user always knows best, you know? :roll_eyes:

Also, people donā€™t want to use a command line; they want to use the shiny point & click thing. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Seamless update, thank you very much, invlovees!
Wayland and KDE is a buggy thing still, I know at least with Nvidia. Hopefully Plasma 6 (announced for Feb 24) will come to terms with that.

@Kobold
Have you figured it out or may I offer assistance? Updating via TTY I meanā€¦

boost is broken, the lib32-boost requires an older version of boost. Iā€™ve solved the problem by uninstalling the packages, luckly I donā€™t use boost.

Remove lib32-boost, it was dropped from the repos as itā€™s no longer needed. See Arch Linux - Todo: Drop unused boost-libs dependency

Thanks for offer but im fine, im updated few days ago.

Aragorn explained me everything in this Topic already. :slight_smile:

1 Like