[Stable Update] 2023-07-10 - Kernels, Plasma, Gnome, LibreOffice, Pipewire, Mozilla, Wine

Coffee and chocolate are better motivators, I’ve found…

1 Like

pacdiff -s
==> ERROR: Cannot find the vim -d binary required for viewing differences.

Noobie here, is there a way to reverse the last update? I can’t listen a music with my bluetooth headset without it getting interrupted randomly. I can’t watch videos on youtube more than 10 minutes, it switches to 240p (not about internet connection) or i wait for 30 secs for 5 secs of chunk of data to load. Tried 6.1 and 6.3, still the same. Everything was fine before this update.

You can specify your preferred diff utility using DIFFPROG=, ex:

DIFFPROG=sdiff pacdiff -s
1 Like

vim is required by pacdiff. install vim

You should be able to restore it from the backup you took before upgrading.

Matcha does not support Gtk 4, so that will accomplish nothing.

FYI, normally the GTK_THEME variable should never be used as it’s only for debugging–especially as a global variable.

1 Like

I pushed a new libpamac which should fix those outstanding issues and also prevents the LPE vulnerability to gain root access.

A side note: pamac-gtk is using GTK4 now and is designed to work with Adwaita stock themes provided by Gnome as Pamac is a Gnome App. Those who don’t like that change can use the old GTK3 UI we still provide via pamac-gtk3 package.

3 Likes

that seems to work, but the resulting questions & then some file comparison tool im am totally unfamiliar with open - no idea how to proceed.

Thank you for your effort. I guess it was not easy fixing this. Hopefully, reverting the exploit fix didn’t reintroduce the vulnerability.

However, I still have this error:

$ LANGUAGE=C LANG=C pamac update --force-refresh --aur
Preparing...
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.manjaro.pamac.commit ====
Authentication is required to install, update, or remove packages
Authenticating as: bernhard
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ====
Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
Aktualisierung von core.db...                                                                             
Aktualisierung von extra.db...                                                                            
Aktualisierung von core.files...                                                                          
Aktualisierung von extra.files...                                                                         
Fehler beim Synchronisieren der Datenbanken                                                               
Refreshing AUR...                                                                                         
Nothing to do.                                                                                            
Transaction successfully finished.

Just did the update, then rebooted, no improvement. I think it will be better not to use Pamac in the future.

I have GVim installed and it worked the same but when I select the merge option it says that does not have a previous file to compare then it asks again and I just select q (quit).
What does that mean? I did the right thing, is it all ok?
Everything works ok, I update flatpaks on pamac, unistalled clementine AUR and installed flatpack instead, I installed that package needed to Steam don’t crash and everything seems to be ok.

I think there are several files it finds, you are looking to merge pacman.conf
I skipped the first few, then it was the 4th one.
But then choosing m opened a file tool & I had no idea how to proceed.

Viam supervadet vadens

Maybe this will help understand the idea: pacman/Pacnew and Pacsave - ArchWiki

No its not … it just assumes DIFFPROG is set … if it is not set it defaults to vim -d
Ex, in my /etc/environment I have

EDITOR=/usr/bin/micro
SUDO_EDITOR=/usr/bin/micro
VISUAL=/usr/bin/kate
DIFFPROG=/usr/bin/meld

If users are not familiar with panews … they should become so … or use a different distro
(you must learn how to manage these … or it will end badly eventually)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

I know but I decided there’s a need in the simplest solution for a newbie.

1 Like

newbies will not know how to manage vim … or even exit.

The manjaro homepage says "user-friendly and suitable for those new to computers, " - dont be elitist

3 Likes

Its not elitism … its part of the distro … if you dont learn how to manage them … it will not be a sustainable situation.

And that, along with phrasing elsewhere such as in msm-notifier, has been discussed multiple times for being considered misleading or often misconstrued.

I might point you to one of my comments on the matter:

Newbies have probably never edited pacman.conf. So it’ll be safe for them to just do

sudo mv /etc/pacman.conf /etc/pacman.conf.pacsave
sudo mv /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew /etc/pacman.conf 
2 Likes