[Stable Update] 2023-07-10 - Kernels, Plasma, Gnome, LibreOffice, Pipewire, Mozilla, Wine

Viam supervadet vadens

Maybe this will help understand the idea: pacman/Pacnew and Pacsave - ArchWiki

No its not … it just assumes DIFFPROG is set … if it is not set it defaults to vim -d
Ex, in my /etc/environment I have

EDITOR=/usr/bin/micro
SUDO_EDITOR=/usr/bin/micro
VISUAL=/usr/bin/kate
DIFFPROG=/usr/bin/meld

If users are not familiar with panews … they should become so … or use a different distro
(you must learn how to manage these … or it will end badly eventually)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

I know but I decided there’s a need in the simplest solution for a newbie.

1 Like

newbies will not know how to manage vim … or even exit.

The manjaro homepage says "user-friendly and suitable for those new to computers, " - dont be elitist

3 Likes

Its not elitism … its part of the distro … if you dont learn how to manage them … it will not be a sustainable situation.

And that, along with phrasing elsewhere such as in msm-notifier, has been discussed multiple times for being considered misleading or often misconstrued.

I might point you to one of my comments on the matter:

Newbies have probably never edited pacman.conf. So it’ll be safe for them to just do

sudo mv /etc/pacman.conf /etc/pacman.conf.pacsave
sudo mv /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew /etc/pacman.conf 
2 Likes

And encouragement I hope?
I have understanding and love the tiny @Manjaro-Team
Things can happen. :hearts:

To me it seems they are working their a**es of fixing everything!

1 Like

libpamac 11.5.7 should fix the false warning on successful DB sync. Was a logic error on my end when removing some code.

10 Likes

Nothing is fixed here. After the update to libpamac 11.5.7, the problems persist. What a mess …

it fixed for me - refresh databases & mirrors a couple of times, it should work out.

That’s exactly what I’ve done several times now.

I had to disable the “Check for updates” options, then re-enable to fix it.

Well you can try this:

• open a terminal
  • delete /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/sync as root
  • create /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/sync as normal user
  • run pacman -Syy as root
  • run pamac update as normal user
8 Likes

@philm
I dont really understand where this commands (pacman merge) really good for… i mean, where is the goal from this?

Are this commands only for removing the Community section (eye candy) and i can skip this or is there something behind this, that i maybe dont see… maybe a bug prevention or security issue?

I solved the issue on my side by just simply commenting out following section in /etc/pacman.conf

#[community]
#SigLevel = PackageRequired
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

After this I just updated the database. Now everything is working fine. I did not merge as suggested before.

The “merge” would have removed the section from the file that you commented.

This is new since the Update
This spam’s the Log

Jul 11 23:36:00 pamac-manager[3728]: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
Jul 11 23:42:04 pamac-manager[3945]: Using GtkSettings:gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme with libadwaita is unsupported. Please use AdwStyleManager:color-scheme instead.
Jul 11 23:42:09 pamac-manager[3945]: _gtk_css_corner_value_get_x: assertion 'corner->class == &GTK_CSS_VALUE_CORNER' failed

and this

Jul 11 23:17:14 kded5[1275]: g_settings_set_value: key 'scaling-factor' in 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' expects type 'u', but a GVariant of type 'i' was given

i use KDE

The pipewire raop-sink bug is fixed !

it is a wiki post. so the content may be from me or from other users. You may ask @Yochanan has he is more in keeping the files clean and tidy. On my end I never used any program to merge pacnew files when there are any.

1 Like

You use Pamac-GTK which is the GTK4 version. You may want to install pamac-gtk3 to solve your theme issue on KDE:

1 Like