[Stable Update] 2023-06-04 - Kernels, Gnome 44.1, Plasma 5.27.5, Python 3.11, Toolchain, Firefox

Hi, I don’t know if you solved this, but try installing xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-gtk instead.

Hi… I had already installed them… same results Thank You

Maybe you should check audio plugins, what type of audio you are using…
I am also on xfce and its working just fine on my end.
Maybe you should open a sparate thread so that people can try and help.

This is what I have and it works…

pacman -Qs skype xdg-desktop
local/skypeforlinux-stable-bin 8.98.0.402-1
    Skype for Linux - Stable/Release Version
local/xdg-desktop-portal 1.16.0-3
    Desktop integration portals for sandboxed apps
local/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk 1.14.1-1
    A backend implementation for xdg-desktop-portal using GTK

and short version of inxi -Axx

Audio:
  API: ALSA v: k5.10.181-2-MANJARO status: kernel-api with: aoss
    type: oss-emulator
  Server-1: JACK v: 1.9.22 status: off
  Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.70 status: off
  Server-3: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active with: 1: pulseaudio-alsa
    type: plugin 2: pulseaudio-jack type: module

Very slow to open firefox, archive manager

…please see known issues with xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

Updated on my PC, icon 100% normal.

But, some sporadics GNOME coredumps, like was said here before.
The problem it’s something related to DPMS, which caffeine-ng uses. I closed caffeine and for now, no problem at all.

EDIT: None game from Steam launch for me. In Lutris everything worked fine.
For example: Euro Truck 2 appear was “running” using Proton. Under native, open but with buggy window, and I can’t play.
Native games don’t even launch.
Please, HELP!!!

EDIT2: Team Fortress 2 worked fine. I am creating a topic on “Support” area…

2 Likes

Thanks! it’s also work for trackpoint

same for me, telegram stopped working. It shows only an empty window.

@gkraemer and @RaZario seems you don’t read the second post about the issue with apps non starting or starting very slow: Simply do this and you’re fine: #$%&§$%% and get your glasses and read the second post :small_airplane:

5 Likes

I have tried for an hour before posting here and it just didn’t want to start :person_shrugging: after posting here it worked.

1 Like

When I used the command to print this list, after updating but before rebooting, it gave me a pretty long list ( > 300 packages).

When I printed the list again, after rebooting, it shrunk to just a few.

Is this expected?

So I guess everyone should reboot before they’re doing this rebuilding step, right?

The point is to be run on the newly updated system - searching for packages still using python3.10.
Your experience is expected.

2 Likes

Hi,
Gnome 44.1 introduced a bug in Mutter that prevents giving proper focus to windows.
There is an issue on the gnome gitlab for that: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/2690

Unfortunately I only learned this after the update. My “launcher based workflow” (currently using Albert) is completely broken. I am always typing into the wrong windows and it’s driving me nuts.

Is there a safe way to downgrade Gnome?

I could not open digitally signed pdf after latest poppler update to 23.05. Switched to poppler 23.03 with required dependencies and it works.

It was actually introduced during the development cycle of 44 series. Maybe the upcoming 44.3 might fix it. That is scheduled for 1st of July.

Problem:
No internet, wifi interface unable to connect.
Similar to: WLAN funktioniert nach Update nicht mehr - #19 by go2sh
Manjaro does not connect to WPA2/3 mixed WIFI network - #2 by Pino

Workaround/Solution (choose 1):
a) disable mixed wifi network in router
b) downgrade wpa_supplicant
c) switch to lan

Broke “Asbru connection manager”, as it now seg faults.

To fix, update package “perl-glib-object-introspection”, like shown here.

pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/p/perl-glib-object-introspection/perl-glib-object-introspection-0.050-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Because everything was moved to python 3.11
so it’s like fresh install of python, most tools aren’t installed.

Updating went smoothly, I had the same issue, firefox/telegram/etc… slow to start up after the fix is went back normally
Had to rebuild some of the packages to python 3.11
My real issue is with my pip packages, there are many of them and some even use configuration files.
Anyway, I’m thinking upgrading one by one is safer than running a vague do it all command, and since certain pip packages have been included in arch repo (eg. ueberzug), I think it would be better that way, espacially since I missed up and updated before using the workaround :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless:
Which make me feel it would bite me back some time in the future.
What do I do with the old 3.8 → 3.10 directories in /.local/lib?
can you just delete it?

the question is more if the hardware is not detected or you’re not able to connect to a router with a certain setup.