[Stable Update] 2023-06-04 - Kernels, Gnome 44.1, Plasma 5.27.5, Python 3.11, Toolchain, Firefox

Got a problem with Evolution after applying this update - Evbolution doesn’t display mail content or header. Neither in preview, nor when opening a mail. Just a blank window.

Packages shows that stable has an older version of evolution. Commits · main · Arch Linux / Packaging / Packages / evolution · GitLab. so maybe that version has known bugs like yours @leftbit

Does starting evolution from the command line print out any info?

There are some folders that can be cleaned / renamed to check if there is an issue with settings or cache.

The user’s data files

$HOME/.local/share/evolution

Various configuration and state files

$HOME/.config/evolution

Account settings

$HOME/.config/evolution/sources

Disposable data caches

$HOME/.cache/evolution

I did the update few minutes ago, everything is OK, no issue at all with dkms modules nor with firefox or with AUR python based app.
Thank you! :kissing_heart:

A post was split to a new topic: Curl 8.1.0-1 is not working with github

A post was split to a new topic: My gnome not work Oh no something wrong!

Same here… Brave is acting weird, it won’t show most buttons online or images associated with buttons.
I’ve tried switching different themes (light / dark, gtk / classic )

Here the fix:

Regards.

So I tried again to update today and it worked fine. Turns out last time I ran pamac remove --orphans and it removed GDM! No wonder graphical login was no longer working! I was more careful to the command output this time:

$ pamac remove --orphans
Preparing...
Checking dependencies...

To remove (31):
  gnome-common           3.18.0-4                                            extra
  gtk-doc                1.33.2-1        (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  python-anytree         2.8.0-6         (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  glib2-docs             2.76.2-1        (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           core
  intltool               0.51.0-6        (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  autoconf-archive       1:2023.02.20-1  (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           community
  autoconf               2.71-4          (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           core
  yelp-tools             42.1-1          (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  mallard-ducktype       1.0.2-9         (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  itstool                1:2.0.7-1       (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  docbook-xsl            1.79.2-7        (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  docbook-xml            4.5-9           (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           extra
  gdm                    44.1-1                                              extra
  python-html2text       2020.1.16-9                                         community
  debugedit              5.0-5                                               core
  cython                 0.29.34-3                                           community
  libx86                 1.1-8                                               community
  ttf-noto-nerd          3.0.1-1                                             community
  webkit2gtk-5.0         2.38.6-1                                            extra
  gobject-introspection  1.76.1-3                                            extra
  python-mako            1.2.4-3         (Orphan Of: gobject-introspection)  extra
  electron               22.3.3-1                                            community
  uchardet               0.0.8-1                                             extra
  bison                  3.8.2-5                                             core
  pastebinit             1.5.1-1                                             community
  flex                   2.6.4-5                                             core
  m4                     1.4.19-3        (Orphan Of: gnome-common)           core
  asar                   3.2.3-1                                             community
  go                     2:1.20.4-1                                          community
  pkgconf                1.8.1-1                                             core
  make                   4.4.1-2                                             core

Total removed size: 1.5 GB

Apply transaction ? [y/N] 

Transaction cancelled.

For those on GNOME, can you reproduce that ?

No, I have gdm set as explicitly installed. Set gdm to be explicitly installed so you will not have to deal with this again. Pamac (gui) has an option to set it to explicitly installed or pamac install --as-explicit gdm

That’s probably my fault, because I was fiddling with GDM before the update and I may have done a wrong move. FYI the only thing that I remember modifying is the following (yes I saved what I did in a script):

# configure GDM using current user desktop settings
function configure-gdm {
	# copy monitor config (e.g. scaling)
	sudo cp "${HOME}/.config/monitors.xml" /var/lib/gdm/.config/monitors.xml
	# relaunch the command after boot so the modifications survive system updates
	sudo mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/gdm.service.d/
	echo "[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/cp ${HOME}/.config/monitors.xml /var/lib/gdm/.config/monitors.xml" \
	| sudo tee /etc/systemd/system/gdm.service.d/override.conf > /dev/null

# enable fractional scaling
	sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']"

# set mouse speed
	SPEED="$(dbus-launch gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.mouse speed)"
	sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.mouse speed "$SPEED"

# set touchpad speed
	SPEED="$(dbus-launch gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad speed)"
	sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad speed "$SPEED"
}
1 Like

Thank you to whoever pressed the button to push Lutris 0.5.13 !

Lutris works great now with VKD3D 2.9 and all the dx12 games i tested work as expected.

Thank you :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t think so, pamac lists:

Required By           : --
Optional For          : --
Provides              : --
Replaces              : --
Conflicts With        : --

So unless it is set as explicit it is an orphan. The commands in the script do not change anything about the way the package manager handles GDM. (I’ve just spun up a VM with a clean install and this has GDM as explicitly installed so I guess at a point in the past it was not required to be explicitly installed)

Yes those commands does not change anything, but since I’m the only one having this issue, it was probably a wrong move that I didn’t remember making that created this problem. The fact that I fiddled with GDM just before the update is probably not a coincidence.

A post was split to a new topic: Firefox does not give me a window when launched

Is there any higher purpose to your comment, or are you just trying to let the people know how clever you are at sarcasm?

1 Like

Yeah … the point was that the user had somehow not interacted with or reported the results of the solution already posted, quoted in their response, and asked by both myself and phil.
If you missed that … maybe I should quote it again for you :wink:

1 Like

This is a support thread, so here ought to be fine. cscs is just making snide noise.

No … actually its not.

and anyways … points were cited and answered already. Therefor quotes. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Actually it’s you making noise… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
cscs is helping more than you. I don’t understand your comments.

4 Likes