[Stable Update] 2023-03-31 - Kernels, Plasma 5.27 LTS, Pamac, Phosh, Mesa, LibreOffice

This is the link to the ‘Production’ driver…

This is the link to the ‘New Feature’ driver…

Do you see the same supported products for the 4000-series cards?

Ah, I misinterpreted what you meant. I understand now. Yes, looks like the 4080 and 4070 Ti cards are missing from the list along with all the 4000 series laptop GPUs.

I was using video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-470xx-prime instead of video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime ever since it came out simply because I get better FPS on my games. But the latest update borked vulkan somehow and couldn’t run the games. So I tried installing video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime and the games worked fine again, but I was still getting almost half the FPS I got from 470xx. So I removed it and tried to reinstall 470xx and I get this error:

> Installing video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-470xx-prime...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-amd-nvidia-470xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core downloading...
 extra downloading...
 community downloading...
 multilib downloading...
error: target not found: linux63-nvidia-470xx
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

After installing this update, having a problem accessing Display related options in the Systems Setting app. When clicking on Systems Setting / Display and Monitor, the Display Configuration window briefly appears for a few seconds, then that window closes. Same window closing issue if I select Appearance / Plasma Style or Colors or Fonts.

Per some of the other posts here, I installed Xsettingsd, but that did not fix this issue.

Here is the output of my inxi -F:

System:
  Host: go-manjaro-kde Kernel: 6.1.21-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: XPS 15 9560 v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Dell model: 05FFDN v: A00 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Dell
    v: 1.24.0 date: 08/10/2021
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 88.1 Wh (100.0%) condition: 88.1/97.0 Wh (90.8%)
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-7700HQ bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache:
    L2: 1024 KiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2087 min/max: 800/3800 cores: 1: 2800 2: 2800 3: 900
    4: 2800 5: 900 6: 900 7: 2800 8: 2800
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A
  Device-3: Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 with: Xwayland v: 23.1.0 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1: 3840x2160~60Hz
    2: 2880x1620~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.1 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL
    GT2)
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel CM238 HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  API: ALSA v: k6.1.21-1-MANJARO status: kernel-api
  Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: ath10k_pci
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 9c:b6:d0:d8:4c:d7
  IF-ID-1: ipv6leakintrf0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A
    mac: 16:4d:5b:64:0c:b5
  IF-ID-2: proton0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros type: USB driver: btusb
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 state: up address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 953.87 GiB used: 413.24 GiB (43.3%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: PM961 NVMe 1024GB
    size: 953.87 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 58.19 GiB used: 32.35 GiB (55.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 511.9 MiB used: 9.2 MiB (1.8%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
  ID-3: /home size: 224.52 GiB used: 89.05 GiB (39.7%) fs: ext4
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p8
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C pch: 65.5 C mobo: 51.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2512 fan-2: 2517
Info:
  Processes: 269 Uptime: 13m Memory: 31.08 GiB used: 5.61 GiB (18.1%)
  Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.26

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

3 posts were split to a new topic: Ttf-noto-nerd: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ttf-noto-nerd: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)

My GNOME Settings > About panel shows the current Gnome version as 43.4. Meanwhile, Packages shows the current version of the gnome-desktop package in stable as 1:43.2-1. So which is it? I’m trying to troubleshoot an issue on another forum and I want to be able to tell them which versions of stuff I’m running with a bit of confidence.

Hi there.

I’m wondering if it might be worth offering a choice of full disk vs root disk encryption in the installer. I’m running Arch (I used “archinstall” script" on an old laptop with Xfce, Grub & partial encryption & am not having any issues. Given that a significant number of people will want a level of encryption on their notebook, I think it’s worth considering.

Thanks team & everyone that tests it for the rest of us. More power to you all. Ruziel :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I think I found a bug with the new KDE Plasma, related to multi-monitor support. The Move Window KWin script broke. Can someone please point me to where I should report it to KDE? (Bug description here.)

It is fairly simple to do already

Updated and the desktop and all icons vanished and no app icon runs. Looking at it right now.
I cannot use the command prompt but I have Yakuake. Through this I looked at the command “xfdesktop” which had an error returned on gtk-appmenu-module. I use packman to install this module but it just chained into another error so I reversed change.

Through Yakquake I can launch programs just I have an un-usable desktop/workspace.

Note:- All icons even Manjaro icons do not work I seem to only have the one app Yakuake that works.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

[edit] I installed the gtk-appmenu-module and proceeded on but it leads to another error.
command xfdesktop - Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined.

A post was split to a new topic: Input delay with external monitor connected via DisplayPort

My Creative Soundblaster AE-5 (soundcard) no longer working after changing the output device in the KDE Sound Control, i think its called pavu control.

My soundcard was working, till the moment i played with the pavu sound manager.

The creative card is no longer listed there, but still can be accesses with alsamixer, still no sound at all.

Just wondering if it will be better when changes that could impact booting your system or similar, if there should be a more “official” wiki entry explaining how you might solve and update your configuration to avoid the booting issues. It will also increase the community knowledge :slight_smile:

The current approach where everyone posts their solution (for their setup) and having the information spread across threads make it even more confusing, and potentially dangerous if you don’t know well what you are doing.

2 Likes

one simple thing would be to make the CLI password input environmental flag default. Currently i suspect less than 1% of users know about it and suffer cli->gui->cli workflow.

I did the update yesterday and lutris didnt work anymore. I had 2 games, where it said once “D3D rendering failed”, the second said “need a GPU what supports (…)11”

I had to completly remove nvidia-470 470.182.03-1 and switch to nvidia-470 530.41.03-1
The update also removed my nvidia-settings without any other replacement.
Now it seems it works normal as before.

Kernel 6.1 GPU Nvidia GTX 960

you have to add nvidia-settings

After the update, my trackpoint freaked out. Moving towards the top right worked fine, any slight movement in other directions lead to erratic jumping.

Rebooting the computer another time fixed it. (I had already rebooted to apply changes.)

KDE Plasma version and Lenovo E470, in case anyone wants to check if they have the same issue.

After last upgrade I had a black desktop screen problem. I followed these instructions (prime driver not working for my dual gpu laptop) than it worked.
But on reboot I got the message “error: no such cryptodisk found. Perhaps a needed disk or cryptodisk is not loaded”
I enabled GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y in /etc/default/grub, did sudo update-grub and rebooted. But than the black desktop screen came back again. I have set it back again for now.

Regarding your other suggestions: /boot/grub/grub.cfg “…try to remove the dash separators”, does it mean the UUID has to be written like this instead (in your example): ’ 3722dfb23b32414bbd59-4329fa92b6a9??

What can be done to keep away the black desktop screen (including the KDE Plasma ssdm still does not appear in color anymore) and getting rid of the error message on booting as well.

I do have one luks ssd for root and another separated luks hard disk for my data. For the second luks hard disk I have to enter always the password on boot as well.

After the update, most everything I use seemed to work, except OBS. Since I rely on OBS for work and streaming several times a week, I had to use Timeshift to revert my system. OBS is working again but I’d really like to keep my system updated. So, my question is…

This may be a noob question but is there a procedure (or guide) we could use to check the dependencies for a specific app, and then choose not to upgrade things that will cause the app not to work?

I know I can do this:

$ pacman -Qi obs-studio-git
Name            : obs-studio-git
Version         : 28.1.0.beta1-2
Description     : Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming.
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio
Licenses        : GPL2
Groups          : None
Provides        : obs-studio=28.1.0.beta1
Depends On      : ffmpeg  jansson  libxinerama  libxkbcommon-x11  mbedtls  qt6-svg  curl  jack  gtk-update-icon-cache
                  speexdsp  pciutils  libajantv2  librist
Optional Deps   : libfdk-aac: FDK AAC codec support [installed]
                  libxcomposite: XComposite capture support [installed]
                  libva-intel-driver: hardware encoding [installed]
                  libva-mesa-driver: hardware encoding [installed]
                  vlc: VLC Media Source [installed]
                  luajit: Lua scripting [installed]
                  python: Python scripting [installed]
                  v4l2loopback-dkms: Virtual webcam [installed]
                  pipewire: Pipewire capture [installed]
                  pipewire-media-session: Pipewire capture [installed]
                  xdg-desktop-portal: Pipewire capture [installed]

and get a list of dependencies, but most of those dependencies don’t appear in my Pamac list of updates. So, is there an easy way to tell what is causing OBS (or any app) to fail? And then, is there a way to revert ONLY the necessary things to make that app work again?

thanks