[Stable Update] 2022-12-06 - Kernels, Mesa, Plasma, Cinnamon, Nvidia, LibreOffice, Pipewire, Virtualbox

Haha I think I am aware of that
@philm quotes

Our current supported kernels

linux419 4.19.267
    linux54 5.4.225
    linux510 5.10.157
    linux515 5.15.81
    linux519 5.19.17 [EOL]
    linux60 6.0.11
    linux61 6.1.0rc7
    linux515-rt 5.15.79_rt54
    linux60-rt 6.0.5_rt14

so yeah there has to be linux 6.0. But since I am not quite aware of things like [EOL] and rt54 and r14, I thought of asking here. I know my question was stupid but I would be grateful if I was educated on these things.

My original being : is stable update receiving 6.0 kernel or is it still in version 5 ?

Fairly certain there exists no such thing as a law about “enabling a full code path”: Either you’re allowed to redistribute a certain product and include it, or you aren’t and don’t include that library on the server. Much as some crazy tech dystopians may dream of a programming police next, you can make anything work however you want: Laws apply solely to what you’re allowed to distribute or not.

For me mp4 support is still working well in latest stable, both for h264 and h265 codec videos as well as Youtube on Firefox. Glad that doesn’t seem to be universally broken in any way.

1 Like

well: Packages

1 Like

Will there be an “unofficial” guide to the alternatives? I am a Manjaro / Linux newbie and most of the articles I’ve found have been associated with RPMFusion and Fedora which, I’m assuming, are not the compatible binary packages you referred to here.

rt kernels are realtime kernels which are not need unless you deal with things/want things with as little latency as possible which is useful for music production and(i think mostly only hear it used with music) video editing. EOL stand for end of life so it will not get updates and will be removed in a later update. the current kernel is 6.0 with 5.15 being the LTS which means it will get security updates for 6 years. the next LTS as of posting will be 6.1 if no issues appear.

3 Likes

much helpful

No, I think he means the Arch packages.

If you take a look inside /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist you’ll find Mnajaro’s repos.
If you open up one of those URLs in a browser you’ll find that many of them maintain repos for other distros, including Arch. Then it’s just search, download, install.

Even being based in Germany?

I thought the legal risks only apply to U.S.-based companies?

1 Like

Do you have Intel and/or Nvidia GPU? If so, that’s why.

They will also play fine on AMD. It will just be using the CPU to decode the video, instead of the GPU.

But this can spell doom for laptop users running on battery.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it “doom”. Just loosing a bit of battery time.

I’m experiencing an issue with EasyEffects right after this update (I already tried to re-install it).
EasyEffects doesn’t work with the new pipewire it seems… did someone find a workaround for this?

EDIT: After another reboot, the EasyEffects works just fine. Go figure. :roll_eyes:

@Unbeknownst you know how to switch kernel with the ‘manjaro settings’ app?

Also: be wary of 6.0.x kernels if you have an AMD graphics card, as the listed issues point out it can cause issues with resume from suspend and hibernate. Best to stick with 5.15 LTS unless you have a specific hardware issue with it that is fixed in newer kernels.

1 Like

So is it a problem only for hardware accelerated playback/encoding?
Software decoding and encoding does not require any fees or patents does not apply to them?

It makes no sense for me - being able to decode the stream using an unlicensed software decoder but not on my 1000 eur graphics card from legitimate brand and official distribution, that has hardware decoding listed in its specs.
If MPEG-LA has any problems with AMD they should sue them.
All the decode logic is in the chip itself, not in Manjaro.

Also my old Intel hardware has everything still enabled on open source drivers.

PS. How can we tell, whether for example Gigabyte (manufacturer of my card) did pay all the royalties or not? It is Manjaro problem or Gigabyte problem? I’m also not sure whether my display manufacturer did not infringe any patents applicable for IPS panels, but this does not mean we should turn off display at all in Manjaro…

11 Likes

Ooops, the new Wine version (7.22) doesn’t work for me. It crash immediately my preferred windows game (wolfenstein). Downgrading to 7.20 fix the problem.

Ryzen 5600 - Amd RX570

2 Likes

what are you going to do over there?

Seeking refuge from the Patent Police. :male_detective: :oncoming_police_car:

All good, aside that annoying KDE Plasma bug introduced 2 months ago that is still here
(If you want to remove anything, like an element on your taskbar, is not saved on the next restart. Oddly, modifying something works just fine.)

I’ve update my kernel to version 6.0.11 which also installed linux60-nvidia-390xx-390.157-1 and now I ended up with this message:

Dec 06 19:19:24 manjaro kernel: nvidia: version magic '6.0.9-1-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload ' should be '6.0.11-1-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload '

I went back to kernel 5.19.