[Stable Update] 2022-10-05 - Kernels, Systemd, AMDVLK, Deepin, Pamac, QEMU, Thunderbird, Firefox, 0 A.D., Gradience, Linux Firmware, WINE, GNOME, Pipewire

Okay, Thanks!

Better to look at the packages depending on python2:

$ pactree -ro python2

You can decide if you need any of them and possibly remove them and python2 along with it.
Deal with for orphans beforehand - this might already clear up some.

Here’s the output
Anything worth knowing?

pactree -ro python2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             ✔  17s  
python2
├─python2-cairo
│ └─pygtk
│   └─driconf
├─python2-gobject2
│ └─pygtk
├─python2-numpy
├─python2-setuptools
└─libglade (optional)
  └─pygtk

YES ! Python 2.0 is no longer supported and to be honest for a longer time now. It’s your problem to update and keep your system working.

1 Like

I’m trying to remove it. so, as a person who has certainly lots of duties but also little knowledge, I ask. please don’t be offended by lack of proficiency.

4 Likes

libebml 1.4.3 breaks MKVToolNix and VLC complains about codecs in mkv videos.

Mentioned in [Unstable Update] 2022-09-12 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, Wine, Cinnamon, Deepin, Qemu, Qt - #36 by clmbtti

Downgrading libebml to 1.4.2-2 restores functionality.

pamac install /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libebml-1.4.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
2 Likes

Well the latest KDE update seems to have worked: still running 5.24.6 plasma but with an updated KDE frameworks v. 5.98.0. Does this mean we can continue like this? :smiley:
I am prepared to.

2 Likes

@Olli since you implied some initiave was required, i decided do the folowing, after reading documentation on pacman
Here’s what I used :

sudo pacman -Rc python2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ✔ 
checking dependencies...
:: libglade optionally requires python2: libglade-convert script

Packages (7) driconf-0.9.1-14  pygtk-2.24.0-12  python2-cairo-1.18.2-4  python2-gobject2-2.28.7-7  python2-numpy-1.16.6-2  python2-setuptools-2:44.1.1-2  python2-2.7.18-5

Total Removed Size:  107,27 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes...
(1/7) removing driconf                                                                                                                                                   [########################################################################################################] 100%
(2/7) removing pygtk                                                                                                                                                     [########################################################################################################] 100%
(3/7) removing python2-setuptools                                                                                                                                        [########################################################################################################] 100%
(4/7) removing python2-numpy                                                                                                                                             [########################################################################################################] 100%
(5/7) removing python2-gobject2                                                                                                                                          [########################################################################################################] 100%
(6/7) removing python2-cairo                                                                                                                                             [########################################################################################################] 100%
(7/7) removing python2                                                                                                                                                   [########################################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

My system hasn’t crashed. the update manager says everything is up to date. I’ll try to reboot now just to see if I’m jinxed. EDIT : Solved, it seems. Thank you @Lila-Kuh @freggel.doe @Olli

4 Likes

qt6-waylandtry to install this, i got it to run on wayland plasma

I have found that every QT application that I’ve tested has stopped working. When I try to launch them by command line, I get the following output:

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.15.5) with this library (5.15.6)
Aborted (core dumped)

Applications of note that I cannot run include keepassxc and git-cola (the former of which prevented me from logging in to the forums from my linux drive, so I had to login via windows)

You’re using an unsupported theme. Remove qt5-styleplugins if installed.

1 Like

That was exactly my problem, thanks!

XFCE install also updated with no issues.

Had conflict with manjaro-pulse and pipewire-jack. Removed manjaro-pulse to resolve.

Also, ceph-libs started building itself after the updates finished, which would’ve taken hours. Did that just get moved to AUR or something? I cancelled and re-ran pamac update to finish updating VS Code (AUR), and it went smooth.

Make sure to remove ceph-libs if it’s orphaned!

Additionally, I had an issue before where the audio level would be 1 level below where it was after a reboot (e.g. went from 45 → 44). Looks like that is fixed now!

2 Likes

konqueror problems after update

When trying to start konqueror a window with title “Error – KIOExec” says “Unable to create io-slave. Unknown protocol ‘konq’.”
The konqueror window shows with most menu items greyed out and not showing anything in the window.

I can start with a directory (konqueror /home) and it runs ok

My system is-
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.98.0
Qt Version: 5.15.6
Kernel Version: 5.15.71-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2

Anyone else with this problem?
Any help appreciated thanks

Two nitpicks:

• sudo pacman -Rc python2 - This is fine as long as you double check what will actually be removed.

• Better to read manpages or original documentation, which in this case, is on archwiki. No idea why manjaro has -Rc so nonchalantly listed in its wiki.

-c, --cascade

Remove all target packages, as well as all packages that depend on one or more target packages. This operation is recursive and must be used with care, since it can remove many potentially needed packages.
 -s, --recursive

Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync operation, and it helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want to omit condition (B), pass this option twice.

Other than that, I commend your initiative. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As usually, update is not available via Pamac. The only way to get updates is using CLI. This issue is being reported for months by multiple users.

Everything works fine, but after the update I got see update for ceph-libs which is being built the whole eternity (I forgot my pc for 10 hours and it was still building) and was marked as a dependency for something. Also, in pactree command it showed me it wasn’t needed for anything, so I stopped it, deleted and saw how much space it was taken.

That was my first very strange package.

Hi, I have also problem with Timeshift GUI. Similar as others including fact, that even that GUI vanish during the proces, some backup is done.

Also I’ve experiencing problem with my desktop since last update. I’m using KDE plasma. After update, wallpapers settings si gone, widgets are gone and icons are misplaced.

1 Like

This isn’t really an “issue”, but the PamacIndicator won’t hide itself when there are no updates.
I have toggled “Hide tray icon when no update” in the Pamac GUI but it’s still sitting there… staring at me.

I assume this is related to community/gnome-shell-extension-appindicator being updated to v46 (which broke my SyncthingIndicator)