[Stable Update] 2022-09-12 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, KDE Frameworks, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire, Mesa

Hello, I use Manjaro KDE. Given the problems reported on this forum, I have not yet done the September 12th update. My system works perfectly and I have no urgency to update it. I tell myself that the longer I wait, the more chance I have that the bugs will be fixed and my update will be done without any difficulty. What do you think? Should I wait for the next stable update or would it be better if I tried to apply this update now? I’ll have to do it at some point anyway and I’m not sure what’s more prudent. Thanks for your advice!

3 Likes

I’m curious - though I don’t use GUI to do updates (I use pacman) if I open Discover, it’s offering a set of updates not available yet in Pamac.

This is just one example - Discover says it has 360 updates whilst pamac (stable) has none.

strange
here we can view pamac with stable but discover with testing :thinking:
you post in stable but forum user profil is testing …

Sorry, I’m in Stable now.

updates shown in background of screenshot do not match versions in stable branch
according to mbn
Have you checked packages branch compare - https://packages.manjaro.org ?

1 Like

Sure, for Audacious it’s telling me it has an upgrade FROM my stable version 4.2-2 => to version 4.2-3 in Testing and Unstable.

Why doesn’t Discover know what branch I’m on?

Perhaps a caching issue from when you were on testing

1 Like

Ok, for pacman we have /var/lib/pacman/sync
For pamac we have /var/tmp/pamac/dbs
But I have no idea about discover - and discover has no manual.

I think it works with packagekit - so let’s try a refresh:
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/PackageKit/alpm && sudo systemctl restart packagekit

Success!!! Now I have only 1 update for Breeze-Round-Chameleon Icons. Thanks :wink:

1 Like

Plasma 5.26 comes out in just 4 days. Once it’s out, how long until it hits stable?

1 Like

I really, really, really hope you are saying this tongue-in-the-cheek.

Answer = The time it takes!..! :smile:

Maybe setting autoswitch profiles in the config helps?
The important line in the config is marked bold

Otherwise try to close your software because it’s still reporting as using the device in communications mode?

Modprobe nouveau did not work?

We’re all pretty bored with these questions. A few people actually left because of the delay for 5.25 - and that’s good. We don’t want to be hurried - most people who tried or are using 5.25 agree that it’s pretty buggy and unstable. The benefits far outweighed by the issues it brought - so much so that many people restored snapshots and are still rocking the LTS 5.24.

Meanwhile everyone gets excited about bleeding edge - and you can have that by switching. If you go to Stable, you don’t get excited or look forwards to new stuff. You wait until it’s polished enough for the team to mutually agree that it’s not going to cause instability.

So the answer is: Nobody has a clue, and nobody interested in ‘Stable’ really gives a toss :wink:

9 Likes

From my side I will wait as much as possible; I just hope @Philm will give us “renegades” a reminder when it is the most mandatory time to update.

Regards

1 Like

You’ll need to reconfigure Samba.

In my case, since 3 or 4 updates ago I lost the functionality and configuration of Samba; it was working fine before that (at work and home).

To date I have managed to “fix it” but not 100%.
I had to download a Samba configuration file; but I don’t remember if it was from a how to or from the Samba project and tuned it until I could have something functional (at work).

At home, I only used it to share files with other computers but due to “lack of interest” on my part I haven’t tried to fix it anymore.

Regards

Thank you very much for your interest. I did provide a clean smb.cnf , now the smb y nmd services are running but I cannot manually share a folder. It shows this error:

when I give a Read Only permit to Everyone and full control to my user and try to share from Dolphin menu.

Like you, that’s exactly why I don’t have 100% corrected my problem. :frowning_face:

I can create the shared folders, but I can’t access them… I can think of something, if it works I’ll let you know.

I’m following this wiki, but it hasn’t worked for me yet.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Samba

I have Manjaro KDE with 9/12 update on two machines, both are fine, just as stable as before.

I only had one issue, which was with autostart - easily resolved (after understanding the issue) by removing “sleep 5 &&” type shell commands from the “Exec=” line (in my case I called a script instead).
I do not expect this to change over time. Source:

1 Like