[Stable Update] 2022-09-12 - Kernels, LibreOffice, KDE Gear, KDE Frameworks, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pipewire, Mesa

IDNK to do it the gui-way because I upgrade manjaro from a plain tty without begin logged in any gui nor DE.

AFAIK you could do pamac checkupdates | less to figure out what’s getting updated.
I would expect pamac-gui would also show a dialogue what’s getting updated and whatnot with the ability to not proceed when the user spots something odd.

I have reverted back after this update.
I am on Plasma. I was glad 5.25 was kept back until the 5.25.5 as 5.24.6 was LTS and more or less usable for me.
I upgraded today and very soon hit the first bug. If you have global menu and you try to add a widget to the desktop or any of the panels , kwin freezes and crashes. The same happened on 2 of my computers.
I could reproduce this crash on my Endeavour KDE install as well, but on Arch / EOS it’s solved by an update (kwin and or plasma-workspace maybe ?)
Found this reported by others too:

I installed a testsystem with stable and switched to unstable. The latest package of plasma-workspace fixes the problem with global menu.
So I really think holding back updates could be sometimes a bad idea.
If you release a stable version 1 day after the testing one, how much did you test really ? I guess not too much. This package should have been here in this stable one.
Please add this to the know issues.
Thank you

i downgraded the pipewire package - only this one - and the errors are gone, together with some minor sound issues …

sudo DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade pipewire 

Please…
Do not be mislead by this stable update having a “newer” 5.18 than the stable update before.

Kernel 5.18 went EOL quite some time ago (2022-08-21), see https://kernel.org/.
It hasn’t had any (security) updates since - it’s certainly not “perfectly fine” to use any longer.

Great advice on forum, where there is typically at least one user per week asking for help, because he can’t be bothered to keep up with kernels and can’t update because some “perfectly fine to use” 16 months old kernel is causing dependency issues.

4 Likes

I use a script which detects EOL Kernels and run it automatically after updating my system. It told me that 5.18 is out of date. I recommend anyone to pay attention to the blog posts or use some kind of notification. Because I use Qtile, the notification from Manjaro does not work for me, so I wrote the script. Here for anyone interested into it: Check if one of the current installed Linux kernels has reached EOL · GitHub (and forum post)

2 Likes

Probably. I would actually look through to make sure you either find alternatives for them in the repositories or really just check whether you need them. Having a bunch of random AUR packages that you did not intentionally install is a recipe for problems in Manjaro

I know yours was just a rant, but just like you are asking to keep plasma at 5.24, a lot of people on this forum were asking for 5.25. ultimately it boils down to the fact that Manjaro is generally speaking, a rolling distro that moves to the latest versions of packages. Some packages might be held for a bit, but ultimately the update will happen.

For what it’s worth, I’m not saying you’re wrong or unjustified. I also do think a feature freeze for two versions of plasma would be great. I’m simply explaining that there is another crowd that really wanted the update

1 Like

I do it from a terminal myself, but am to cautious to update right now, due to Plasma. But I think I’ll be OK for now, but I’m still gathering intel…I learned a long time ago not to blindly do updates.

1 Like

Nope X11

It’s a bit like roulette IMO

3rd party themes, widgets, panels etc?

A post was split to a new topic: All my wifi access points disappeared

Amongst others, no doubt. But, hey, as far as I’m concerned my current “issue” isn’t really an issue(as in a deal breaker) insomuch as it’s little more than a niggle…and no doubt there’ll be a fix relatively quickly :wink:

OK I did that config change, cleared the cache and refreshed the updates list, I’m still seeing a bunch of updates that will go through if I hit Apply, such as: kdecoration 5.24.6-1 → 5.25.5-1, kwin 5.24.6-1 → 5.25.5-1

Will that cause issues if I go through with that? Or are those “independent” binaries

1 Like

You are attempting a partial update, which is not recommended and definitely not supported.

2 Likes

In fact that is the only issue I have so far found with the new KDE releases. For me it is a new Dolphin tab, not a new instance. A minor irritation.

You might want to look here:
https://bugs.kde.org/

1 Like

I had the same issue on one of my computers but rather than wait, I was able to verify that the upgrade was completed by reviewing /var/log/pacman.log using TTY. After rebooting all was well.

Well, some guys demanded for the opposite instead.

Well, there’s a reason why testing branch and unstable branch exist, they can just switch to those branches if they really want those new features. They have the choice to do it.

However, as we’ve seen, Plasma 5.25 update is not working for everyone, and there’s already a plenty of people having issues with this Plasma version. Some even went as far as: “Pls hold Plasma back at 5.24. 5.25 is buggy, blah blah”

P/S: Controversy never fails to amaze me

4 Likes