[Stable Update] 2022-07-04 - Kernels, Firefox, Thunderbird, Nvidia 515.57, Python, Haskell

Hello community,

Another stable branch update with some usual updates for you.

With SER4 we have a nice little power house of MiniPC featuring a Ryzen 4800U Octa Core APU. More infos in the store!

• Some of our Kernels got updated
  • Firefox is at 102.0
  • Thunderbird got renewed to 91.11.0
  • Nvidia drivers got updated to 515.57
  • Regular Haskell and Python updates

Additional Info

Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcement topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

:information_source: You may need to rebuild any AUR packages that install files to site-packages …

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

Our current supported kernels

• linux419 4.19.249
  • linux54 5.4.201
  • linux510 5.10.126
  • linux515 5.15.50
  • linux517 5.17.15 (EOL)
  • linux518 5.18.7
  • linux519 5.19-rc4
  • linux515-rt 5.15.49_rt47
  • linux518-rt 5.18.0_rt11

Package Changes (Wed Jun 29 02:35:52 CEST 2022)

• stable community x86_64: 414 new and 406 removed package(s)
  • stable core x86_64: 20 new and 20 removed package(s)
  • stable extra x86_64: 114 new and 213 removed package(s)
  • stable kde-unstable x86_64: 311 new and 310 removed package(s)
  • stable multilib x86_64: 15 new and 15 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all changes can be found here.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

18 Likes

Known issues and solutions

:information_source: This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
:star: Please, consider subscribing to the Stable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please don’t post to say everything was great on my side or yes, I have the same error but leave the space for people having issues, or even better: for people having solutions!
Use :beer: :coffee: :heart: instead to let us know you’re suffering from the same so we can respond to the highest impacted issues first! :unicorn: :rainbow: :question:

:arrow_right: 2022-07-04

2022-06-12

Akonadi (KMail / Kontact / KOrganizer...) fails to start
touch ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ib_logfile0
akonadictl start
mariadb-upgrade --defaults-file=~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --socket=/run/user/$(id -u)/akonadi/mysql.socket
Locale file changes

C.UTF8 locale is now included in glibc:

Credits @diabonas for this change. Systemd wants us to include C.UTF8 by default and it seems the locale may be in included by glibc upstream in the future. To fix building and avoid nasty fixing in devtools, we include the locale in the package. See systemd/systemd#23252 (comment) FS#74864 : [systemd] >= 251 breaks devtools' locale

There is a pacsave for /etc/locale.conf as it has been removed from the filesystem package. /etc/locale.conf will automatically be restored if it did not already exist.

There is a pacnew for /etc/locale.gen. Please review it and regenerate your locale if necessary.

2022-05-13

Chromium / Google Chrome cannot save files to most folders (GNOME and Xfce)

This is an upstream bug with the package xdg-desktop-portal-gnome

In the meantime, you can try to remove the package xdg-desktop-portal-gnome (if feasible, without any dependency issues or conflicts), or wait for the bug to be fixed upstream.

Without any xdg-desktop-portal-* packages, Chromium and Google Chrome should correctly detect the environment and present either KDialog (KDE) or GTK file picker (GNOME, Xfce) upon saving and downloading files.

An alternative workaround, for now, is to intentionally click on the filename field, and then press Enter to save / download the file.

GNOME 42: theming and COSMIC packages changes, Bluetooth disabled by default
libkipi: Pamac fails to build the package from AUR
  • libkipi is a deprecated dependency for some KDE applications, and has been moved to AUR.
  • When using Pamac graphically, you can disable the update for libkipi, before removing it from your system.
  • When using Pamac from the terminal, you can proceed the update in multiple steps:
pamac upgrade --no-aur
pamac remove libkipi
pamac upgrade --aur
Timeshift: new rsync snapshots do not show
Wine: cannot be built locally

2022-05-10

QEMU >= 7.0.0 changes split package setup

2022-05-09 - David Runge

With the update to qemu 7.0.0 the package has been turned into a more fine grained split package utilizing meta packages.

• The qemu package is now virtually provided by the meta packages qemu-base, qemu-desktop and qemu-full.
  • The functionality of qemu prior to 7.0.0 is replaced by qemu-desktop
  • The functionality of qemu-headless is replaced by qemu-base
  • The functionality of qemu-arch-extra and qemu-headless-arch-extra is replaced by qemu-emulators-full
  • The meta package qemu-full provides all QEMU related packages (excluding qemu-guest-agent)

2022-04-15

KeePassXC auto-type does not work

Upgrading KeePassXC from version 2.6.6 to 2.7.0 partially breaks the “auto-type” function. This is fixed upstream in version 2.7.1.

In in the meantime, to have it behave (and work) as it did with version 2.6.6, change the following option:

Tools → Settings → General → Auto-Type → uncheck “Always ask before performing Auto-Type”

Version 2.7.1, which did not make it into this batch of Stable Updates, works correctly, even with the above option enabled.

Desktop Icons (DING) Gnome extention and File Previews stop working due to a crash in sushi.

This has been fixed upstream in sushi version 41.2. To restore functionality you can manually upgrade.

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/sushi/sushi-41.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

2022-03-14

Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.15.2) with this library (5.15.3)
  • Check the mirror you use is up to date:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu 
  • If you use qt5-styleplugins (AUR), rebuild or remove it:
pamac build qt5-styleplugins
DSL/PPPoE may require downgrading 2 packages

First please check if new bugfix version 1.36.2-1.0 of NetworkManager improves things.

If it does not, downgrade to 1.34.0 (and restart network manager after) :

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/libnm/libnm-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/n/networkmanager/networkmanager-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Bug report: FS#73948 - networkmanager 1.36.0 breaks DSL connection

Older dicussion: my-internet-connection-is-no-longer-working

mangohud (AUR) prevents Wine/Proton applications from starting
  • Consider disabling the mangohud overlay until the bug is fixed upstream.
VPN via L2TP might not work anymore

See FS#74089 - networkmanager 1.36 breaks vpn with networkmanager-l2tp

You may need to downgrade to 1.34.0:

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/libnm/libnm-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/n/networkmanager/networkmanager-1.34.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
1 Like

Looks like my root apps (timeshift, gparted) have reverted to light mode. Im not sure how to change them back…?

EDIT: in my case it was a theming issue unrelated to this update. my mistake!

3 Likes

Timeshift also on KDE, but KDE partition manager is fine. Not a big deal, but would be interested to know why (maybe Timeshift has been like this a while and I never noticed…).

Everything is fine, but I can’t use my earphone’s mic anymore, so anyone got this error like me? (I use Cooler Master MH710 Earphone, Jack 3.5mm)

Are you using GNOME?
Maybe it’s a QT setting:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/strange-colors-in-some-aplications/113165/3?u=gaasantana

That was the first thing i checked, but unfortunately not the solution in this case.

It has. :grin:

The same thing if you run bleachbit as root/sudo.

The underlying pattern seems to be root/sudo + GTK under KDE.

However, native KDE and Qt applications are not affected. Only GTK, from what I have experienced.

My laptop shows no updates these nine hours later?!?

Try this command:

$ sudo pacman-mirrors -f5; sudo pacman -Syyu

Any update on when Plasma 5.25 may land on Stable?

1 Like

I had been using the proprietary NVIDIA driver setup recommended here and got a black screen after today’s update to nvidia driver version 515.57. A quick CTRL-ALT-F4 and reverting those changes from the cli to disable the manual driver selection fixed it. No more wayland though :disappointed:.

Please open a separate #support:graphic-cards thread for further troubleshooting.

1 Like
$ systemctl status systemd-vconsole-setup.service
× systemd-vconsole-setup.service - Setup Virtual Console
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service; static)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code)
       Docs: man:systemd-vconsole-setup.service(8)
             man:vconsole.conf(5)
    Process: 756 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-vconsole-setup (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 756 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

systemd[1]: Starting Setup Virtual Console...
systemd-vconsole-setup[775]: setfont: ERROR setfont.c:417 kfont_load_font: Unable to find file: ter-116n
systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: systemd-vconsole-setup.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1]: Failed to start Setup Virtual Console.

$ cat /etc/vconsole.conf
KEYMAP=us
FONT=ter-116n

Fix:

sudo pacman -S terminus-font
sudo systemctl restart systemd-vconsole-setup.service
1 Like

Just found my old Chromebook with a hacked-in SEAbios. It had not been updated in 9 months (linux-firmware was 2021-10-02).

Had to manually set the date and time because it had forgotten and pamac/pacman were throwing certificate errors.

Removed some AUR packages and dkms modules it wanted to build. Upgraded 933 packages (2GB). Rebooted. Installed kernel 5.15.

Perfect. Everythings works and is up to date again. I love Linux in general en Manjaro in particular :clap:

2 Likes

Curious issue. After the update, the KDE print dialog does not show anymore the “driverless” printers. These are still well visible in the KDE system settings printers panel and in the print dialogs of non KDE applications. Any clue?

You may switch to unstable branch to help out with 5.25 Plasma testing. For stable we aim to ship 5.24.6 when it comes out.

Wow. Surely Bleachbit should work without being run as sudo… Isn’t that a graphical user application?

Still - useful to trim unwanted locales if you’re working with a small device with something like a 2GB SSD I imagine.

To prune redundant system files, such as locales, it requires being run as root. When run as root, it doesn’t touch any user home folder.

I see the “driverless” options for my Canon MFP printer as a network/LAN printer… no “driverless” options for local/direct connection (USB)

Not sure if the categories are new (local, network discovered, other network), but filtering/assigning the drivers to the appropriate (subjective) category might have removed it from your view if your printer is not networked?