[Stable Update] 2022-06-12 - Kernels, Systemd 251, GNOME 42.2, KDE Gear 20.04.2, NVIDIA, Mesa, Pulseaudio, Pipewire, LibreOffice

this is not good ,
this is pacman -Syu or pacman -Syyu

Since you used CPAN you cannot ask your package manager, you have to look for yourself:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/perl5/5.34/*/
1 Like

And the same here, too. Affected VMs are Windows 10 and 11 guests.
Also tested both available 5.x LTS kernels with no difference. Didn’t test higher kernel versions, though.
I uninstalled an re-installed both the VM Extension Pack and the Guest Additions, but to no avail.
I even downgraded VirtualBox to the previous v6.1.32 with the same negative result, which is why I suspect either the kernel updates or the systemd update to cause this trouble.
Unfortunatly my VMs don’t run long enough to take a glimpse of their event logs to gain more insight from that side.

2 Likes

Nice one. Thanks!

After this update wine 7.10 stopped working properly with the MetaTrader4 program (timeframes changing stopped working and blank program window starts when Alert window appears).

Downgrading wine to a previous 7.7 version was a workaround solution solving the issue.

Downgrading kernel, respective VBox host modules and Virtualbox to the previous versions did the trick for me for now.

just to report (nothing critical for me, I’ve downgraded, all fine, will wait for the next kernel)
On Plasma (ext4, nvidia but no gaming, fairly simple setup),

linux518 fails (I can log in but I get ‘kwin is too unstable’ dialog), I’ve had to reboot into 5.17, remove 5.18.
I’ve looked into the journalctl, there is what it seems a kernel segfault around that time

"kernel: MainThread[1095103]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fdbabeec7b5 sp 00007fff6e7ab9c0 error 6 in libxul.so[7fdbaabae0
00+5a82000]"

followed by a core dump

systemd-coredump[2181]: Process 2164 (kwin_x11) of user 1000 dumped core.

to my eye this looks like libxul.so is where it crashes and called from firefox module - what’s firefox doing at this point?

…that repeats number of times, bunch of other errors (plugins missing, skipped) but I couldn’t make much sense of it.

The system has been running ok for a long time (year, more), this is the first issue of this sort after an update. i did mirror fasttrack & sudo pacman -Syyu - so fairly standard for me, nothing special this time.

I didn’t see anyone else reporting this - and that is strange, so I’ll just wait it out as this seems like a major kernel update.

And thanks guys for all the work you’re doing!

EDIT: wrong dump : ) - similarly, there are multiple core dumps for kwin_x11

As @LA-MJ points out, during upgrade, mariadb prompts one to upgrade the databases.
The prompt during updating, however, only concerns the general mariadb databases
(systemctl restart mariadb.service && mariadb-upgrade -u root -p)
which you may perhaps not even be using or running.

Akonadi runs its own and one can check whether a database upgrade is needed (it was in my case)
mariadb-upgrade --defaults-file=~/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --socket=/run/user/$(id -u)/akonadi/mysql.socket --check-if-upgrade-is-needed

I guess, backing up ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ib_logfile0 is a good precaution (as it seems to regularly disappear on first reboot after the update).
After updating and rebooting, I copied my backed up ib_logfile0, started akonadi, checked whether akonadi’s databases need an upgrade, performed the mariadb-upgrade, rebooted, and all seems fine.

1 Like

Update: This is limited to Electron Flatpaks. Same electron apps from the repos work fine, which is probably better, but still this is very odd. Seems to be related to a display driver of some sort, according to a two year old reddit thread.

Do you remember the steps you made?
I also noticed comments about upgrading the MariaDB (MySQL) database, but i struggled so much trying to do it that at the end i simply recreated the logfile. Most notably, the one thing that really blocked me in that upgrading process was that, on my end, the socket was missing, and Akonadi never managed to recreate it, until i went for the easy solution.

There is no chance to classified this VirtualBox issue was “Known issue” from this update?
That’s the only thing that I am waiting a solution to update my machine.

I saw another post and they said that upgrading the kernel to 5.18 kind of fix the problem.
This really work?

I had the same issue, but with my bt-headphones (Sony WH-1000XM4). I was able to fix it by replacing pulseaudio-modules-bt with pulseaudio-bluetooth as well, but I also had to change my /etc/pulseaudio/default.pa adding ‘load-module module-bluetooth-discover’

xset b off

Works for me.

The Bookmarks dropdown menu in firefox is fully transparent now for some reason, which renders it unreadable if a light themed website happens to be open. It doesn’t seem to be firefox theme related since it happens independently from any chosen theme.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-06-14 16-01-06

Try Menu > Help > Troubleshoot mode to see if the problem still occurs. It could be a plugin.
I do not have this transp bookmark issue.

1 Like

There the issue disappeared. I noticed, that also the whole layout of firefox changed (Tabs are now above the address bar, not below it etc.) so I decided to give firefox a refresh of my profile. Now, everything is fine again, it seems, my profile was a little “old”.

Thanks.

Moving up to the 5.18.3 kernel (on my host machine) seems to be what caused my VirtualBox problems (for my guest machines, both Linux with an older kernel and Windows). Switching to the 5.15.46 kernel let me launch my VMs again. With that said, I also did a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling things while trying to figure this out.

Edited to add: I read comments on the VirtualBox forum saying that we’ll need to wait for 6.1.35 to work with the 5.18 kernel, and the current issues might actually start with any kernel version higher than 5.17.11.

For VirtualBox issues you can also look here:

In this thread solutions / work arounds are discussed / explained.

Downgrading libvirt & libvirt-python to 1:8.3.0-1 resolves it for now.

EDIT: Fixed with gnome-boxes 42.1-1.0

1 Like

While I was installing virtualbox, i was offered to update,
Well, I did

asciicast

But after restarting, error said, my system had a corrupted file system, and was asked to do fsck, i did, and selected default option for everything, which I shouldn’t have done.

Now, I’m unable to login, stuck in a login loop.

And while the update was going on I got this message, fixed that by following on screen instructions.

When I try to login, I enter password, hit enter, then I am back to that screen after few moments of black screen with boot messages.