[Stable Update] 2022-01-23 - OpenSearch, Kernels, KDE Software, Cinnamon, Pipewire, Mesa, Gnome, LibreOffice

I’m having bluetooth error on my Dell XPS 13 9310. When I turn my BT headset on it says connected … disconnected … connected and so forth until I turn it back off again.

I’m still using this workaround for the HCI. If I disable it, I still run into problem that fixes it.

$ inxi -E
Bluetooth:
$ inxi -SM
System:
  Host: flathead Kernel: 5.15.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: XPS 13 9310 v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Dell model: 0MRT12 v: A00 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Dell
    v: 3.0.3 date: 06/19/2021

I found this a million time in journalctl:

Jan 25 08:48:21 flathead bluetoothd[1948]: profiles/audio/media.c:endpoint_reply() Endpoint replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
Jan 25 08:48:21 flathead bluetoothd[1948]: profiles/audio/media.c:endpoint_reply() Endpoint replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments
Jan 25 08:48:22 flathead bluetoothd[1948]: src/profile.c:new_conn_reply() Hands-Free Voice gateway replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments, Unable to handle new connection
Jan 25 08:48:22 flathead bluetoothd[1948]: src/profile.c:new_conn_reply() Hands-Free Voice gateway replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments, Unable to handle new connection
Jan 25 08:48:23 flathead bluetoothd[1948]: src/profile.c:new_conn_reply() Hands-Free Voice gateway replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArguments, Unable to handle new connection

Edit:
As mentioned here, a systemctl restart bluetooth seems to temporary fix the issue.

Updated and after restart Steam is all black. Found a work around on this thread which said to use

LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libharfbuzz.so steam

This worked in a terminal, but has to be run each time to start steam or it is completely black. I created a script file on my desktop to run steam with that command until this is fixed, which I hope it will be.

Interesting.

Looking at the timestamps on my grub.pacnew it seems to be from this update.

I think I’ll try implementing these changes at my leisure on my “playground” boot system. Grub changes always worry me as I can restore my system from pretty much any error but messing up Grub could be a killer.

I got no sound after waking up from a suspension! :smiling_face_with_tear:
I have to restart to make it work again
or use this every time

systemctl --user restart pipewire pipewire-pulse

very annoying! :smiling_face_with_tear:

I can’t replicate this. I just updated and I still have sound after my suspend. I also use pipewire.

Problem with filesystem (not sure if it was actually this upgrade or the previous one as I’d not used that system since before Christmas.

(  4/629) upgrading filesystem                                       [######################################] 100%
error: extract: not overwriting dir with file /usr/local/share/man
error: problem occurred while upgrading filesystem
error: could not commit transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (transaction aborted)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Solution:
rename /usr/local/share/man before upgrade and restore after.

apparently somehow pipewire.socket was masked!
I did

systemctl --user unmask pipewire.socket
systemctl --user restart pipewire.service

and the problem has been fixed :grinning: :+1:

It’s a dependency for “ldm-gdm-integration”. Also, its description says “Linux driver management”, is that not important? Anyway, that still doesn’t help for the other 1398 packages, they would also be broken. It’s not inevitable, it’s impossible.

Thanks for posting this, I have a UM425QA, and my keyboard stopped working after this update after a cold boot (it works fine in Grub, I don’t have encryption). Probably something changed between v5.15.12 and v5.15.16 in the kernel.
Weird thing is, I didn’t ever need the linked solution before, and all kernels worked fine off the bat. I’ll test to see if it is working for me.

EDIT: Nope, the solution didn’t work. @frost19k just to verify, does your laptop’s keyboard work after you’ve reached GUI without applying the solution? (Maybe you could test by entering the encryption password with an external Keyboard)

After the update (on Wayland) switching to Firefox with Super + 1 from another workspace randomly fails with:

gnome-shell[820]: meta_window_raise: assertion '!window->override_redirect' failed

Switching to other programs seems to be fine. Restart & reinstalling Firefox didn’t help. Closing it and opening it again solves it temporarily. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

I have a UM325UAZ and the exact same problem as you (solution does not work). On grub, everything is fine but when I reach the login screen, it’s impossible to type something (Ctrl+Alt+F2 does not work too). It was fine before the update. It works with the 5.14 kernel, maybe you can stick to it for a while.

Please be careful with it, because:

Our current supported kernels

linux44 4.4.299
linux49 4.9.297
linux414 4.14.262
linux419 4.19.225
linux54 5.4.173
linux510 5.10.93
linux514 5.14.21 [EOL]
linux515 5.15.16
linux516 5.16.2
linux510-rt 5.10.90_rt60
linux515-rt 5.15.13_rt26

Explicitly mentioned it in the request thread:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/update-requests-for-packages-built-by-manjaro-developers/423/284

Doing a reboot after cold boot also works, as mentioned in the original post I replied to. So I’m happy with 5.16 for now.

I found this recent patch that probably has to do with the original bug. That patch is from Nov, and kernel v5.15.12 (from previous Manjaro stable update) was released in end of Dec; I’m not sure whether the patch made it in or not. This diff between .12 and .13 does show that change, so maybe it didn’t make it in? If so, we’re probably seeing some side-effect of that change.

I saw but if I reboot to avoid the keyboard issue, I don’t have Wi-Fi (with 5.10, 5.15 and 5.16). It seems to be a problem with mt7921e. I already tried multiple solutions for it too but didn’t find one that’s working

Yes but then I don’t have Wi-Fi. I tried different solutions but nothing worked, except rebooting around three times or using 5.14.

Oh okay, maybe it is what cause the problem.

Ok I messed around a bit more, and seem to have found the solution. Adding options i8042 probe_defer=1 to /etc/modprobe.conf does the job - I’m able to use the keyboard directly after a cold boot on 5.16. I got the module option by looking at the submitted patch I linked to:

The deferred probe mode is enabled either via the new option
i8042.probe_defer or via the quirk table entry. As of this patch, the
quirk table contains only ASUS ZenBook UX425UA.

(Note that they also added UM325UA to the table in this patch)

Thank you for your response. I tried, but it doesn’t work. Did you do something more than adding options i8042 probe_defer=1 to /etc/modprobe.conf ?

(Thanks !)

Yeah, I’d expected it to not work for you, since UM325UA is already in that table, so the option is automatically set for you. Not sure what else you can do other than creating a bug report somewhere.

I did realise that the changes made to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf didn’t actually get applied. We need to run mkinitcpio -P to recreate the images. Maybe try that (after applying the solution from the very first post I replied to)?

it looks like a fix is in the pipeline:

@philm, are you able to say when this might me merged? thank you