[Stable Update] 2021-12-10 - Kernels, Systemd, LibreOffice, Plasma, Browser, Thunderbird

Thanks! I did have one question though since these functions are new to me, is the mimeinfo.cache file automatically regenerated by one of the other two commands following its removal? Oddly enough besides, matray is no longer displaying this behavior, it showed up tonight on Zoom, and then disappeared on that as well.

This last update on Breath theme apparently removed Breeze themes for GTK, including the dark which is my default for QT as well. Any ideas to restore it?

I also just read somewhere that Breath is now a system default. The easier way to do this without editing the config file is to create your own profile in Konsole or Yakuke

See

Read the Update announcements. It’s worth it!

Haha, I didn’t expect this, thanks. All icons in the statusbar are clickable with the left mouse click, so I was sure it doesn’t work. This UX should be fixed, I think. I wonder, if we do have a person, responsible for UI/UX, @philm?

2 Likes

5.15.6-2-MANJARO kernel wont boot if fstab is configured with “ntfs3” mount point. Everything works fine if “ntfs” option is used (it becomes fuse mount point).
ntfs3 should be usable but for some reason that i have not figured yet, it does not.

if i use ntfs3 opton in fstab (should be the official option in 5.15 and onward) mount throws out:

mount: /mnt/Varasto: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing codepage or helperprogram, or other error.

mount options used:
defaults,noatime,prealloc 0 0

with ntfs option everything works but fuse is used.

Right clicking the toolbar icon works for me, I also tried to left click first, not obvious and perhaps something to think about for future releases.

1 Like

the update to all the themeing stuff somehow overwrote my user configurations for Konsole & my Desktop Wallpapers on KDE Plasma

i dont even know what yall did in that update to overwrite stuff in my user directory

needed to manually re-instate all my settings for those 2 things

I don’t know.

Even if I’d manage to get my kernel booting (I suspect it’s just running update-grub), I’d still stuck with a non-working sudo subsystem.

I’ve managed to get a peek on pacman.log, but I did not see any errors there.

Alas I don’t know where to start after achieving chroot nor if recovering takes more time and effort than a complete reinstall.

Konsole profile setting is not in your user directory. Default one Breath2.profile setting is in global /etc/xdg configuration folder. Yes, it was changed.

Your desktop wallpaper shoud’ve been replaced only in case you were using Breath2 wallpaper as this one got removed.

I installed it, still no more mint-y-dark available, it does somewhat return the previous behaviour but for example window border is not black anymore.

Use AlphaBlack Control to set your panels/applets and theirs’ font color.

Oh my, I’m detail-oriented but forgot this link, so thanks! In this topic, they recommended installing breeze-gtk package, which worked nicely here. As related to the depreciation of breath2, papirus icon is complete and fancy, and combined with arc color (plasma style) is my go to. I like breeze, but IMHO the icon pack is too dark and the icon for some applications is missing. The plasma style is thin for my screen (1920 x 1080).

Can you try using kernel 5.14 (if you have it still) or 5.10? Looks like 5.15 has some problems even on other distributions that will be resolved on 5.16,one of them is bluetooth not working (its happening to me as well).

did you try manually mounting to see if it works, i.e.;

# mount -t ntfs3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/Varasto

i’ve reverted back to using ntfs-3g, looks like there are still some kinks that needs to be worked on. from what little i understood the new driver is meant to imitate options provided by ntfs-3g on the new driver for interoperability, but some are not implemented as well on ntfs3 yet.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS#udisks_support

Desktop Background keeps changing to default every update. Especially on the SDDM background login, that resets seemingly at random. Plus power options screen (ctrl+alt+del) blur is showing as just black. Other than that it went seamlessly

Well, there are a couple of thing to try out. If your network is up and running, doing a pacman sync

pacman -Syy

and then reinstalling sudo, the kernel (perhaps a slightly newer one than 5.10) via

mhwd-kernel -i linux515

(which takes care of updating grub) and dependencies that are suggested and seeing if that helps to boot the system again.

Then there are tricks like this to try and rescue a broken install when your feel unsure of which packages are broken from your adventures:
Reinstall All Packages with Pacman on Arch Linux

1 Like

To all people using nVidia Drivers and getting issues with the login manager not loading (system hanging on “Starting Hostname”) I think the issue are the nvidia drivers not working anymore

What I did was obviously go to TTY with Alt+F2 and login, then “sudo systemctl disable lightdm” (or “sudo systemctl disable gdm” whichever you are using), and reboot

That only lead to go directly into login from terminal, then try “startx” and you get a “(EE) Not screens (EE)” found, so instead of looking a lot into xorg stuff I moved to
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Configure_Graphics_Cards

Then I checked the drivers with:
inxi -G
mhwd -l

Following it I made the system to search for drivers and install them (without uninstalling the others previously, I know it wasn’t “optimal” but whatever, I wasn’t in the mood)

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

The system then checked, downloaded, installed them, rebuild the config, and reboot, but since I disabled the login screen manager I went directly into TTY again and log in from there, BUT this time when I executed “startx” it DID WORK

After going into the DE I opened a console and “sudo systemctl enable lightdm” (or “sudo systemctl enable gdm” whichever you are using), and reboot

Finally everything worked fine but TBH it wasn’t a nice experience, I know it could be my fault for not checking the drivers before updating but damn… I read “STABLE” and trusted like nothing could go wrong. I think the system should check this sort of things before updating and warning you if you have something set that won’t work instead because if a standard user have this issue there is no way he is going to solve it alone.
By no means I am trying to blame the devs but mostly give my feedback of things that can be improved in future upgrades to prevent this broken stuff for a standard user, or at least if there is something really important like graphic drivers going to be useless to warn it properly

1 Like

same result, not working. only way is to use ntfs not ntfs3. using uuid or path gives same results. i think the fuse uses ntfs-3g and ntfs in fstab does the same. so in the end i have access to ntfs partition but only with the older driver. :sunny: at least that and not complete failure!

Even Gardiner Bryant (a.k.a The Linux Gamer) was using an EOL kernel in a video he was talking about why he likes Manjaro. He also mentions he only updates his kernel only for driver support for new hardware. But I don’t think it’s a good practice, especially when you’re not using an LTS or a supported kernel. It may lead to security vulnerabilities I guess. So I agree it may be good to add some text like “unsupported” next to the name of the kernel.