[Stable Update] 2021-11-19 - Kernels, Gnome 41.1, Plasma 5.23.3, Frameworks 5.88, LxQt 1.0, Xorg-Server 21.1, Mesa

Good day.

I use KDE Plasma since a few days also under Wayland with an AMD GPU. I am really positively surprised how stable Wayland runs on my computer now! About a year ago Wayland was not really usable… Now everything really works, even Steam works smoothly, as well as other programs. So far I haven’t noticed any noticeable problems. When I look at the video, I can not see anything at all… ???

Kind regards SchulzX777.

1 Like

In the latest update, I am facing a weird problem regarding the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin. It does not correctly control the microphone sensitivity as well as its on/off state. To properly change the microphone sensitivity, I need to open the pavucontrol audio mixer, then go to input devices, and change the settings from there. Any changes made from the plugin (regarding the microphone), do not sink with those on the pavucontrol. I am using a laptop and the latest 5.15 kernel, but it does occur on the latest LTS 5.10 as well. Previous updates did not have this issue, maybe pipewire related? Does anyone else face the same problem?
P.S. Just to clarify, I am referring to the “volume” icon in the task bar in XFCE4.
Thanks a bunch!

After latest upgrade: System stops with ‘Failed to start Light Display Manager’

Hello, I’m about one step above a newbie so speak slowly.

So after installing the latest upgrade and rebooting it all stopped with the above error.

Opening the tty I tried startx. It didn’t. The error messages were:

(EE) no screens found(EE) and

Unable to connect to to Xserver, connection refused.

After much poking , prodding and reading later I have a list of various error messages which might make sense to somebody.

From Xorg.0.log:

6.523] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[     6.523] 	compiled for 1.6.99.901, module version = 1.0.0
[     6.523] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[     6.524] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  495.44  Fri Oct 22 06:11:21 UTC 2021
[     6.524] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
[     6.524] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[     6.524] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[     6.524] (II) Module "fb" already built-in
[     6.524] (II) Loading sub module "wfb"
[     6.524] (II) LoadModule: "wfb"
[     6.524] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
[     6.524] (II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     6.524] 	compiled for 1.21.1.1, module version = 1.0.0
[     6.524] 	ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[     6.524] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[     6.524] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[     6.524] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 GPU installed in this system is
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     supported through the NVIDIA 470.xx Legacy drivers. Please
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     information.  The 495.44 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     GPU.  Continuing probe... 
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 GPU installed in this system is
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     supported through the NVIDIA 470.xx Legacy drivers. Please
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     information.  The 495.44 NVIDIA driver will ignore this
[     6.524] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     GPU.  Continuing probe... 
[     6.524] (EE) No devices detected.
[     6.524] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[     6.525] (EE) no screens found(EE)

The (WW) section would appear to say that driver 495.44 (which I think we are trying to install) doesn’t like me :(.

From the release notes:

Nvidia 495xx driver series drops Keppler support. (mine is Keppler).

From yay -Q | grep nvidia

(This is from my current live system)

lib32-nvidia-utils 470.63.01-1
linux510-nvidia 470.63.01-13
linux514-nvidia 470.63.01-12
mhwd-nvidia 470.63.01-1
mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.144-1
nvidia-utils 470.63.01-2

Running the same command on the failed system shows the appropriate references in the right places to 495xx on the failing system which I guess is an indication that it’s installed.

I think I should be installing 470.86

Any suggestions?

Yes, in said live environment, open a terminal and enter a chroot environment:

sudo manjaro-chroot -a

It should automatically detect your installation, if you do not have other Linux installations.

BE CAREFUL: You are now using your actual installation as root.

The password on the live system is manjaro for both the user as well as for root. So go ahead and provide it when prompted.

Then it seems you have to install version 470xx of the Nvidia drivers.

To do so, run the following in the chroot environment:

mhwd --install video-nvidia-470xx

Respond to any prompts, if required and exit the chroot environment.

exit

Followed by rebooting your PC.

If still not working, please open a new thread, linking to this thread. This way, your situation will get more exposure and you stand a better chance of receiving assistance.

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-470xx

This won’t work from the live environment. Or rather, it might, I don’t know, but it won’t persist across reboots. So it won’t apply to his installation, only the live environment. Unless I’ve got it wrong. So not really all that helpful.

Hi,
did have the same problem.
My (temporarily) solution is, to start the snap-apps with sudo. In my example:
sudo --user “Username” “snap-app”

Hi, after upgrade i have no sound in my headphones when i change output from Line Out to Headphones. There is sound when i test it but when i play it with vlc or any other video player it is absent. Amarok and mpv don’t play anything it just pauses at the start.
When i switch to Line Out everything works as intended. But i want my headphones to work again.

I use KDE and pipewire.

> systemctl --user status pipewire-media-session.service
> pipewire-media-session[4848]: spa.bluez5: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit
> pipewire-media-session[4848]: ms.mod.policy-node: 0x558807d8a960: no node found for 50, stream error
> pipewire-media-session[4848]: ms.mod.policy-node: 0x558807d8a960: no node found for 50, stream error
> systemctl --user status pipewire-pulse
> pipewire-pulse[1470]: mod.protocol-pulse: client 0x562cf6db9a20 [amarok]: ERROR command:-1 (invalid) tag:2 error:25 (Input/output error)
> pipewire-pulse[1470]: mod.protocol-pulse: client 0x562cf6ddc370 [mpv]: ERROR command:-1 (invalid) tag:2 error:25 (Input/output error)

FIXED:

sudo pacman -S wireplumber
systemctl --user daemon-reload
systemctl --user start wireplumber.service

wireplumber replaces pipewire-media-session

My system does not boot since the update. After grub menu I just see “starting version 249.6-3-manjaro” Help?

EDIT: Solved… I needed to switch to video-nvidia-470xx, because my NVIDIA GTX780 is no longer supported…

Downgraded the package snapd (which received an upgrade to 2.53.2-2 with this release) to

-  3)  snapd    2.51.3  2  /var/cache/pacman/pkg

afterwards restarted snapd service.

This worked.

With 2.53.2-2, snapd has changed to use cgroup v2 as default: https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapd/+bug/1850667

Of course this works for now, but what other options do I have?

Meanwhile, AMD radeon cards get opensource drivers that even surpass the closed source actual vendor driver variant performance* and lifetime of the product (software wise, why should you be forced to retire something that still works? …)
*(give and take, but it is quite competetive!)

Just saying :slight_smile: This update for me went without a hitch for my amd mb, cpu and gpu. There is the known intermittent usb freeze that also has a future fix that is being worked on, but nothing “reinstall is next step” kind of issues…

Hopefully nvidia takes note of users that wish to extend the lifetime of a system/computer and actually goes ahead and gives the open source community the knowhow to add decent support for “old” gpus. Kepler is not that old to be warranted a retirement.

I must admit I didn’t remove LightDM first, that might have been it.

As I shared above however I’ve managed to get my system working by no longer using my second monitor in a ‘portrait’ position. Not using xrandr to modify my second monitor means I can now login (or at least on the i3 account) - using both LightDM and SDDM. Admittedly having the monitor in landscape mode is not my preference - but it will suffice until this bug (presumably in Xorg?) is fixed.

I could try and uninstall LightDM and reinstall SDDM to see if I could get my monitor back in portrait mode. However I’ve got more pressing priorities at the moment, so am just going to run with it as is. Appreciate your help.

Don’t know, somehow I got a feeling that this might be the worst update I experienced under Manjaro. First I thought I only have some issues with tray icons but now I have discovered that grub is not showing up at all. I have three kernels installed and since the update manjaro only boots the latest installed one without grub showing up to select kernels :-/

1 Like

I’m seeing gnome-shell segfaults that completely kill off my whole session and anything I was running :frowning:. Looks like it’s in libmutter but not seeing anything more useful in the backstrace since there’s no debug symbols :frowning:

1 Like

To be fair this is not really true, they dropped it from the New Feature Branch 495, but it is still supported on the Production Branch 470.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/

The “issue” with Nvidia driver in Manjaro is that the “current” driver is the latest, so you just have to not use the “latest” driver, but the 470 branch driver.

My take on it is that it is a non issue and Manjaro handled that properly, they kept the 470 branch for those who don’t have the latest generation Nvidia video card. The thing is you have to replace the driver by the one supporting your card, that’s all, and here is the problem, most people never read the announcement and report the update broke their system… which is not true. They didn’t switch to the proper driver when the information is given to them in the first posts of announcement, with the appropriate command to issue.

6 Likes

This xorg server update complains about older nvidia driver abi compatibility, unloads the module, and refuses to start. No desktop display at all. driver is 460.73.01. Can bypass driver compatibility check by passing “IgnoreABI” serverflag to xorg then you get a working desktop again.
Else you are forced to use older xorg versions, or update to newer nvidia driver.
-Squeezy

470xx drivers should work. Version you’re running is outdated.

1 Like

Not to mention it is not provided by Manjaro since VERY long time (and it was 465 so… yeah there’s that too)

Also as usual, the problem and solution, please people stop not reading them before reporting issues…, exactly what I talked about in the post right before this one…

I think it’s happening either as part of suspend or the resume after.

You can press Shift while booting to show the grub menu

1 Like