[Stable Update] 2021-11-19 - Kernels, Gnome 41.1, Plasma 5.23.3, Frameworks 5.88, LxQt 1.0, Xorg-Server 21.1, Mesa

Meanwhile, AMD radeon cards get opensource drivers that even surpass the closed source actual vendor driver variant performance* and lifetime of the product (software wise, why should you be forced to retire something that still works? …)
*(give and take, but it is quite competetive!)

Just saying :slight_smile: This update for me went without a hitch for my amd mb, cpu and gpu. There is the known intermittent usb freeze that also has a future fix that is being worked on, but nothing “reinstall is next step” kind of issues…

Hopefully nvidia takes note of users that wish to extend the lifetime of a system/computer and actually goes ahead and gives the open source community the knowhow to add decent support for “old” gpus. Kepler is not that old to be warranted a retirement.

I must admit I didn’t remove LightDM first, that might have been it.

As I shared above however I’ve managed to get my system working by no longer using my second monitor in a ‘portrait’ position. Not using xrandr to modify my second monitor means I can now login (or at least on the i3 account) - using both LightDM and SDDM. Admittedly having the monitor in landscape mode is not my preference - but it will suffice until this bug (presumably in Xorg?) is fixed.

I could try and uninstall LightDM and reinstall SDDM to see if I could get my monitor back in portrait mode. However I’ve got more pressing priorities at the moment, so am just going to run with it as is. Appreciate your help.

Don’t know, somehow I got a feeling that this might be the worst update I experienced under Manjaro. First I thought I only have some issues with tray icons but now I have discovered that grub is not showing up at all. I have three kernels installed and since the update manjaro only boots the latest installed one without grub showing up to select kernels :-/

1 Like

I’m seeing gnome-shell segfaults that completely kill off my whole session and anything I was running :frowning:. Looks like it’s in libmutter but not seeing anything more useful in the backstrace since there’s no debug symbols :frowning:

1 Like

To be fair this is not really true, they dropped it from the New Feature Branch 495, but it is still supported on the Production Branch 470.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/

The “issue” with Nvidia driver in Manjaro is that the “current” driver is the latest, so you just have to not use the “latest” driver, but the 470 branch driver.

My take on it is that it is a non issue and Manjaro handled that properly, they kept the 470 branch for those who don’t have the latest generation Nvidia video card. The thing is you have to replace the driver by the one supporting your card, that’s all, and here is the problem, most people never read the announcement and report the update broke their system… which is not true. They didn’t switch to the proper driver when the information is given to them in the first posts of announcement, with the appropriate command to issue.

6 Likes

This xorg server update complains about older nvidia driver abi compatibility, unloads the module, and refuses to start. No desktop display at all. driver is 460.73.01. Can bypass driver compatibility check by passing “IgnoreABI” serverflag to xorg then you get a working desktop again.
Else you are forced to use older xorg versions, or update to newer nvidia driver.
-Squeezy

470xx drivers should work. Version you’re running is outdated.

1 Like

Not to mention it is not provided by Manjaro since VERY long time (and it was 465 so… yeah there’s that too)

Also as usual, the problem and solution, please people stop not reading them before reporting issues…, exactly what I talked about in the post right before this one…

I think it’s happening either as part of suspend or the resume after.

You can press Shift while booting to show the grub menu

1 Like

Having trouble with this bug, which kills the whole workflow.
(can not add links here…)
Issue #4751 and #4764 on gnome-shell on gitlab(dot)gnome(dot)org

Please update this on manjaro, as soon the mentioned bug is fixed

Hi @41a, and welcome!

Please see [HowTo] post screenshots and links - Contributions / Tutorials - Manjaro Linux Forum and edit your post(s) accordingly.

What is the ISO’s default kernel, will the official 21.2 use Linux 5.15?

Yes, 5.15 because it will be the latest LTS Kernel

1 Like

thank you. Was this an intentional change?

Ah, didn’t know that was necessary. It works now. Perfect update. Thanks :slight_smile:

My grub menu always shows because I dual boot with windows. I believe the default behaviour is the grub menu is always hidden if you only have one OS installed, this can be changed though:

in /etc/default/grub change:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

to

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

then:

sudo update-grub

See GNU GRUB Manual 2.06: Simple configuration for more information

After upgrading my Logitech MX Master didn’t worked anymore. According to this reddit post this is due to changes in bluez. Therefore the mouse cannot connect to the computer. Possible solution could be to downgrade bluez.

From reddit post: pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/b/bluez/bluez-5.56-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

1 Like

Hello there,
After last Upgrade I expiriance in gnome desktop problems with my task bar. Icons seems to be duplicated and hidden, what the taskbar expands with black symbols. You can see here: At the black part of the bar, I can click and the icons will react, but I cant see them:

I already tried to delete ~/.config/dconf/user .
That reset my desktop but the error appears again. If I start a new session, reboot, logout etc everything is normal. But some time it happens again.
That is since the upgrade.

Any Ideas?

Thank you very much.

All sorted now, thanks for the assistance.

2 Likes