[Stable Update] 2021-11-19 - Kernels, Gnome 41.1, Plasma 5.23.3, Frameworks 5.88, LxQt 1.0, Xorg-Server 21.1, Mesa

Hi,

After upgrade i have issues with the Nvidia Optimus prime-run no longer works (i have to kill the game process same as another user previously).
Case : GTX960M so still supported by the lastest drivers.

Solution : downgrade the nvidia drivers back to 470.

in my case : video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime

Solution that worked for me : downgrade the nvidia drivers back to 470.

in my case : video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: After Plasma 5.23.3 update I’m disappointed with development focus and unfixed regressions

I am having an issue with python and qt libraries. i am trying to start an enviroment of opencv for digital img processsing, until the last update I had no problems but sinse the last update opencv does not open the windows of pictures with cv2.imshow() function. when i excecute the script in the terminal it tells my something is happening with the qt backends. the error is given in both wayland an X!!

the error log is.

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
QObject::moveToThread: Current thread (0x559198cf49e0) is not the object's thread (0x5591990a49b0).
Cannot move to target thread (0x559198cf49e0)

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/cv2/qt/plugins" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: xcb, eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx.

segmentation fault (core dumped) 

othe thing to note is: before the update de package python-opencv and opencv in “Extra” repository was working, after the update the package does not work anymore and had to install opencv with pip. i think maybe it has something to see with the problem.

any sugestions?

I am using Manjaro-gnome in both wayland and X11 sesions for testing in both visual studio code and Spyder.

Updating caused plasma to appear to hang on the splash screen. I used alt+tab after some time and found that my autostart applications like steam, spotify, and discord had all launched, but the rest of my DE (panels, wallpaper, etc.) were missing. Just black screens behind the applications. Using the hotkey for krunner opened it correctly and allowed me to open konsole. Opening ksystemlog from there I can see numerous errors whenever I try to kstart5 plasmashell

Summary

11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-background: GetAppState called: no parameters
11/20/21 7:02 AM	onedriver	time="2021-11-20T07:02:32" level=debug msg="Fetching deltas from server." func="000023:fs.(*Cache).DeltaLoop()" file="delta.go:21"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	onedriver	time="2021-11-20T07:02:32" level=info msg="Fetched 0 deltas." func="000023:fs.(*Cache).DeltaLoop()" file="delta.go:44"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	onedriver	time="2021-11-20T07:02:32" level=debug msg="Serializing cache metadata to disk." func="000023:fs.(*Cache).SerializeAll()" file="cache.go:525"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration: Adding output:
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     manufacturer:  "unknown"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     model:  "DP-2-unknown"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     resolution:  QSize(1920, 1080)
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration: Adding output:
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     manufacturer:  "unknown"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     model:  "DP-1-unknown"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     resolution:  QSize(2560, 1440)
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     model:  "DVI-D-1-unknown"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     resolution:  QSize(1920, 1080)
11/20/21 7:02 AM	systemd	app-plasmashell-bb9c12c927094b31a88a860249c3fda0.scope: Couldn't move process 6972 to requested cgroup '/user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/app.slice/app-plasmashell-bb9c12c927094b31a88a860249c3fda0.scope' (directly or via the system bus): Input/output error
11/20/21 7:02 AM	systemd	app-plasmashell-bb9c12c927094b31a88a860249c3fda0.scope: Failed to add PIDs to scope's control group: Permission denied
11/20/21 7:02 AM	systemd	app-plasmashell-bb9c12c927094b31a88a860249c3fda0.scope: Failed with result 'resources'.
11/20/21 7:02 AM	systemd	Failed to start plasmashell.
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     model:  "DP-2-unknown"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     model:  "DP-1-unknown"
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     resolution:  QSize(2560, 1440)
11/20/21 7:02 AM	xdg-desktop-portal-kde	xdp-kde-wayland-integration:     model:  "DVI-D-1-unknown"

1 Like

After reading through the thread you linked I think I have a guess at what happened

• The update ran as expected up to the point it reached the kernel update
  • At this point, it succeeded in moving the kernel to .old but failed to install the new version of the kernel
  • The update process locked up at this point, and upon rebooting, there was no longer any kernel to boot with

I managed to install a kernel using the manjaro live CD and chroot but I think the install is still good and scuffed. I can reach the command line but the graphical environment fails to load, and frankly trying to diagnose X problems is a bit over my head. I tried starting the desktop environment using startxfce4 but it just fails after about a minute. I could get the exact error but not at the moment.

I don’t think I’m experiencing the exact problem that was linked there. I think what tipped me off that it was something I did was the following post [root tip] Update Manjaro the smart way

I could be wrong though. Unfortunately I think the smoking gun is long gone now. I tried to dd my disk for later inspection before getting into it but I guess it failed? It’s just one of those days I guess. Can’t say I didn’t make mistakes here. I guess it’s a cautionary tale, now.

I restarted and verified this is persistent. I am on plasmawayland using this latest update’s nvidia proprietary drivers on a 1080ti. It seems this update has weird nvidia things as usual.

Kernel: 5.10
Server: Xorg
DE: XFCE

After the update, the reboot process got stuck at the “Loading Manjaro 249.6-3” screen, the DE never loaded. After a cold reboot, same issue.
Then I loaded the 5.4 kernel, and it correctly loaded into the DE.
After checking that everything works on 5.4, I shut down the machine and restarted it, this time with 5.10 again.
And voila, it works perfectly fine!

Ah, the fun of having almost-bleeding-edge updates :laughing:

2 Likes

when I uninstall opencv with pip and isntall the respective package from repositories this is the error ir shows

ImportError: libfmt.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i have the solution. just install fmt from the software store or use sudo pamac install fmt

I figured out my issue with Dolphin not displaying “Removable Devices”… apparently it was treating the entire section/place as “Hidden”. The fix has 2 parts:

1. Right-click the left-pane (in a blank area) and check “Show Hidden Places” from the context menu… this restored the “Removable Devices” grouping (and its device list) so we can see it and make the next change
    Screenshot_20211120_102306
  2. Right-click the now visible “Removable Devices” section heading and uncheck “Hide Section ‘Removable Devices’”
    Screenshot_20211120_110054

Desired behaviour restored!

3 Likes

Confirmed. I could not make the change permanent after closing and re-opening Dolphin.

Try this instead:

• Open Dolphin
  • Right-click the side bar and check “Show Hidden Places”
  • Right-click the USB drive itself
  • Uncheck “Hide”
  • Close and re-open Dolphin

Does this solve it for you?

2 Likes

yes! I figured the second part out and updated my post (apparently we were cross-posting :slight_smile: ). what I found was slightly different… unhiding the section itself… now all USB sticks pop in like they should (and used to)

1 Like

I am using a laptop with an old Nvidia card

01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev ff)

Using bumblebee with Nvidia driver: linux510-nvidia-390xx (390.144-28)

Error shown with glxgears:

$ optirun glxgears
[   61.187032] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.

[   61.187083] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

The solution for me was to edit /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia and add the device BusID (from lspci) and a ServerFlags section with the Option “IgnoreABI” “1”. 30-nvidia-ignoreabi.conf inside /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ does not work for me.

Here is my /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia file:

##
## Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection
##

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
    Identifier  "Device1"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "NoLogo" "true"
    Option "UseEDID" "false"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "IgnoreABI" "1"
EndSection

optirun glxgears works for me now.

2 Likes

Having a graphical error after updating yesterday. Certain icons such as my microphone in the tray when it’s active, forward and back buttons in Dolphin, and some others have changed in colour to a blackish-grey.

DE is KDE Plasma.

Manjaro Gnome on Wayland.
Update went fine. However when I changed the Kernel from 5.13 to 5.15, rebooted, but the login won’t go through. Basically enter login password, press Enter, it looked as if Desktop going to load however the login screen would re-appear again.
Rebooted into Gnome Classic - worked fine.
Rebooted - changed to Gnome - worked fine finally.
Thanks for all the hard work - been using Manjaro Gnome on my daily driver laptop for sometime.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Welcome and introduce yourself - 2021

The update totally broke my display manager -I was able to get into a TTY, but none of the proposed solutions I found did anything at all. I’m now reinstalling -cross your fingers.
On my laptop, it went smooth as silk, though.
Reinstall seems to have worked.

Hello! I seem to be having trouble connecting a controller via Bluetooth since the update. The System Settings show that Bluetooth is disabled and cannot be enabled, but systemctl status bluetooth shows that bluetooth is enabled and running. I’ve looked around but can’t seem to find a solution, any ideas? Thank you!

Edit: Switching to Kernel 5.14.18-1 fixes the Bluetooth problem, I still haven’t found a solution for 5.15.2-2. This does seem to be a bug of some kind related to the kernel but I can’t seem to figure out what specifically

That’s the systemd udev log.
I don’t know what exactly made it appear in this update, but you can hide it by either adding

udev_log=3

to /etc/udev/udev.conf

or by adding

rd.udev.log-priority=3

to your kernel boot parameters.

I had to go in " settings / Keyboard / View and Customize Shortcuts / System and set my shortcut again for “lock screen”. However, it was already set to the same keyboard shortcut as before. It’s now working fine.