[Stable Update] 2021-09-04 - Kernels, Wine, Deepin, KDE Gear, Maui-Kit, Plasma

5 posts were split to a new topic: How to opt into the steam Client Beta

A post was merged into an existing topic: How how should I interpret these KDE5 warnings

This bug (outdated udev rules that disables important features from nvidia cards: audio over hdmi, USB xHCI Host Controller and USB Type-C UCSI devices) is still present (or at least my file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-mhwd-prime-powermanagement.rules has not been updated).
If this is supposed to work only on new installations (but i think that the two usb devices are still not enabled in the last mhwd-db version) then we probably need to add an entry on the “Known issues and solutions” wiki that explain which lines comment/delete from /etc/udev/rules.d/90-mhwd-prime-powermanagement.rules, otherwise everyone who hasn’t a fresh installation from the new iso will keep this bug forever (or add a script in a new update that patches the current installations)

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Kvantum themes will set but change slightly after closing Kvantum manager

Last stable update (2021-08-27) broke xbacklight, as I noted in that update’s topic. This update did not fix it.

This pertains to a Lenovo ThinkPad running Manjaro KDE under 5.13.13-1 and now 5.14.0-0. By “broke”, I mean that I am no longer able to adjust the backlight using e.g. xbacklight -dec 5 , whether executed as root or an unprivileged user. However, writing directly to the appropriate interface in /sys/class/backlight/ seems to work, even when unprivileged (the latter being due to the udev rule that I use).

For now my hacky workaround is to add a function to my .bashrc that does the write for me:

# Interim replacement for xbacklight
bklt() { echo "$1" > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness ; }

Edit: Formatting

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: How should I opt into the steam Client Beta?

This update broke icon handling in obmenu-generator.

obmenu-generator -i
Can't locate object method "init" via package "Gtk3" at /bin/obmenu-generator line 386.
sub get_icon_path {
    my ($name) = @_;

state $gtk = do {

require Digest::MD5;

($CONFIG{gtk_version} == 3)
          ? do {
            eval "use Gtk3";
            'Gtk3'->init;
            'Gtk3';
          }
          : do {
            require Gtk2;
            'Gtk2'->init;
            'Gtk2';
          };
    };

Edit:
https://github.com/trizen/obmenu-generator/issues/41

Seems it’s now using gtk3 by default. Installing ‘perl-gtk3’ fixes it.

1 Like

Not sure what information is needed to add, please let me know.
While trying to run a VM with Display Spice set to “Virtio” with “3d acceleration” enabled, I am getting below error:

Error starting domain: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2021-09-05T11:29:39.328865Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device virtio-vga-gl,id=video0,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1: opengl is not available

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 65, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 101, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py", line 1329, in startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1353, in create
    raise libvirtError('virDomainCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2021-09-05T11:29:39.328865Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device virtio-vga-gl,id=video0,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1: opengl is not available

Workaround: I am using QXL or disable 3d acceleration in virtio and works fine.

Edit: Steam also opens but displays a black window, both in the main but in the promotions also. This is reported elsewhere to such as reddit. Looks like something is wrong with OpenGL

A post was split to a new topic: KMail and KOrganiser issue after last update

qemu 6.1 with machine type pc-q35-6.1 breaks my mac os vm, hang at boot.
qemu 6.1 with machine type pc-q35-6.0 is ok.

It’s not related to changes in qemu DSDT, currently investigating.

gnome-shell-extension-nightthemeswitcher version 52-1 is only intended for GNOME 41. It doesn’t work on GNOME 40. Please remove version 52-1 from the repository until Manjaro GNOME moves to GNOME 41.

The update again wasn’t seen by the package manager GUI. Had to to a pacman -Syyu in order for it to find the new packages. After updating, everything is working fine.

It’s been replaced with 51-2.

1 Like

Changing steam to small mode will help navigate your library for now. View > small mode.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Weather icons changed with last update

2 posts were split to a new topic: Kdelibs issue since last update

First update, since the nvidia 470 drivers came out, where I had to walk through the steps to enable Wayland again. /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules was the culprit.

For anyone else looking for the steps after this update:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Fresh install: 50% Boot success rate

Can someone please have a look at the issue with xorg-server 1.20.13-3?

These Debian upstream packages are no good.

" Use intel ddx only on pre-gen4 hw, newer ones will fall back to modesetting"

What and why? I have gen8 hardware nd now falls back to modesetting. With modesetting I have screentearing and all the bad stuff.

Besides of that: this is a breaking change for many users. The modesetting driver uses different screen-display names. eDP1 becomes eDP-1 and so on. Breaks my whole xrandr seat setup, my i3 config, my lightdm config and so many other places where these identifiers are used.

I know there is a discussion going on. Big distributions drop xf86-video-intel because that driver sees to be unmaintained and in bad state of quality.

3 Likes

Switching to linux kernel 5.14.0-0 broke my graphics completely: it became a kaleidoscope. Couldn’t see anything, just colourful lines everywhere on my Dell XPS 9575 2-in-1. Had to switch back to 5.13.13.

How do I turn on logging when booting with this faulty kernel? To whom do I send it?

1 Like