[Stable Update] 2021-08-17 - Kernels, KDE Software, Nvidia, Firefox, Thunderbird, Mate

Same problem here on two different systems (desktop and laptop) in KDE/Plasma. Tray icon size in my vertical panel seems to have increased, padding seems to have decreased consequently. 4K and 5K screen resolution, 200% scaling. Tray icons are now bigger than the program icons.

Light dm failed to load in kernel 5.12, booting into 5.10 worked. There was an error message when updating via Pamac update. Please let me know how to retrieve it if you want it posted.

The log is kept here: /var/log/pacman.log to check. Check the forum for the error first if you need assistance ask here is good start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, smooth, thank you for the work and the time you all put in this guys.

My only problem continues to be VS Code OSS (Visual Studio Code).
I still have the error “We cannot connect to the Extensions Marketplace at this time, please try again later”, whenever I go to the extensions tab.
Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks, couldn’t identify any warning in the log. On rebooting to kernel 5.12, graphics display came back ok.

The most easy solution is to use the visual-studio-code-bin from the AUR,in case you want to use the official repository version you need to do few things

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Visual_Studio_Code#No_extensions_found

1 Like

or the AUR (en) - vscodium-bin (Binary releases of VS Code without MS branding/telemetry/licensing) from AUR

5.12 stable is end of life: kernel.org.

Most nowadays are only:
-) 5.10 LTS,
-) 5.13 stable,
-) 5.14 release candidate.
All LTS versions contains only bugfixes after the moment of higher RC version released (they are not feature-rich Linux kernels).

1 Like

@beermad : The whole thing is easier if you remove the text from the entries in this toolbar (right click on the entries), The icons themselves then have enough space without affecting the console width.

Someone over on Reddit suggested:

Add the margin separator widget in front of the system tray and set plasma style to breeze.

I haven’t tried this yet because I’ve rolled back to a previous backup, so not sure if it works. Can’t share the link to the post, but it is on r/ManjaroLinux.

This was my first thought, however, it makes no difference in the size of the icons. Scale with panel width just bunches up the icons more.

Maybe you have 200% scaling set? There was discussion about that on Testing:

Unresolved I think.

Yes, I do have 200% scaling on, I have 4k displays. I won’t be able to turn scaling down without everything looking really tiny, right. I recall that KDE is working on better HiDPI support in X11, is this related. Maybe there are some other setting at play? One that comes to mind is PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING=1.

I solved the issue by simply quitting latte dock (right click ⇒ quit) and afterwards starting it again.

Switching to another layout (keyboard layout, as configured from Gnome Tweaks) is broken after updating gnome-layout-switcher from version 0.8.17-1 to version 0.8.22-2.

It only happens on Wayland, on Xorg it works correctly.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. Should I uninstall 5.12, and install 5.13 as an option to try?

I found the issue of KDE:
“Open Terminal” by pressing Shift + F4 does not work in Dolphin.

Output of Dolphin logger:

kf.dbusaddons: Can not find 'kdeinit5' executable at /...../bin: ....

Solution:
sudo pacman -S kinit

1 Like

I have the same issue:
Open dolphin or gwenview :

kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so'"

I guess they are not compatible with kio.
We are waiting for update kio.

1 Like

Pardon the late reply. That option isn’t generated unless you set it yourself, so yes. Konsole GUI → Settings → General → Remember window size. I believe on is default, which is apparent as it worked out just fine for you :slight_smile:

1 Like