[Stable Update] 2021-05-19 - Kernels, Nvidia, KDE Frameworks, Plasma, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE Gear Mobile, FF, TB

Yes, that’s OK and possible as long as you don’t want to update or install anything else until then. Obviously we should update, though…

I haven’t updated in a while because there was always something that people mentioned that wasn’t working and I somehow rely on. Just make sure that you take all precautions (backup, timeshift) and you will use pamac -Syyu on the command line instead of pacman for bigger stuff.

1 Like

You guys usually do a pretty solid job of pushing out new updates and I am very grateful for the work you do. Its amazing, really. But I do have to say that adding a driver that has known issues to the stable branch is not a good idea. Nouveau is not really an option given its state. Holding off on adding that driver to the stable branch would’ve been a better decision. Those who want the cutting edge could have always switched to the non-stable branches. I hope you don’t take this as “hate” or an attack on you but rather criticism aimed to improve manjaro as a hole. Thank You.

12 Likes

Two nvidia cards: RTX 3080 & GeForce 1030. Two monitors: 49" Samsung 5120x1440 (DP) and 19" HP 1440x900 (HDMI). Absolutely no problems with any connection of monitors to the video outputs.

I understand you. But consider the survey of this update: 10-15% of users who updated have problems. Can we therefore say that with 85% of people without problems, this update is stable enough? I think yes.
Manjaro is a rolling realease and there’s not much time to wait for everything to be perfect. If you are looking for more perfect stability, it is better to focus on a Debian distro, for example.
Windows is the most used OS in the world, installed on critical machines, yet its updates are often a nightmare.
Criticizing is absolutely legitimate, but before criticizing it should be recognized that every OS has weaknesses. The smartest thing to do is to choose the distro that suits us best. In my opinion, for example, using Manjaro, a rolling realease, to play games, is wrong. It is not Manjaro that is wrong but it is the user’s choice that is wrong.

That is just your interpretation.
Facts are: 10-15% of people who voted in this poll have/had problems.

Hard to tell.

The point is that it was already known that this version is causing trouble for quite some users.
So why pushing it through to stable instead of waiting until it’s fixed.

I mean that’s the whole point of having the three branches. To identify breaking changes in testing/unstable and NOT push them to stable until the issues are resolved. :man_shrugging:

Personally I don’t care since I’m not an NVidia user nor on stable branch. I can understand the criticism though.

6 Likes

Discord stopped working… and asks for manual intervention? offers direct download?

Or we can say: many of us that have do this update, not having had problems, didn’t voted at all.
Usually, those who have no problems do not feel the need to come to the forum and vote. Imho. :wink:

Yes, you are right. But if the problem is not easy and quick to solve, what do we do? A rolling release can’t wait, that’s the point. I insist on saying that rolling release could runs into these kinds of problems and this is a weak point, unfortunately.

Manjaro always delays update from Discord,so in the meantime Download Discord from Arch
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/discord/download/

then double click to that file to install them,or if you prefer the terminal

sudo pacman -U discord-0.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Not need to worry about the package being from Arch,it will be the same as Manjaro’s later

2 Likes

@gan
Sorry, is your statement logical?

Find here Releases, Stable, Stable Staging, Testing, Unstable Section… without function?
Better shrink to only one Forum Announcement branch:

“Risky - Rolling - Can´t wait”. :rofl:

2 Likes

The same problem as yours, please tell me how to fix it. :sob:
should I remove linux59-nvidia???

You should definitly switch to a supported kernel as linux59 is long EOL.

1 Like

Yeah, but I already installed 5.10. Want to know if I can remove linux59-nvidia because I typed pactree linux59-nvidia and found a lot of packages involved.

Sure, always remove kernels you’re not using, especially if they’ve gone EOL.

Btw: I don’t speak that language shown in the screenshot, this is an english forum.

edit: And please do not post terminal output as screenshots. Use copy+paste and proper post formatting (</> button) for that.

2 Likes

thank you :rofl: I see

1 Like

A lot of people complaining about stability and the nvidia stuff.

I see the same in the Gnome 40 thread and some other threads (Pamac new look for example).

I think that a lot of people seem to forget that things like these exist mainly out of goodwill and effort of individuals.

Maybe we should adjust our communication accordingly.

I too am holding off on this update because I might be affected and asked about it higher up in this thread. But there is a distinct difference between asking a question and, maybe, adding some constructive feedback or just blurting out opinions on how bad the devs are.

As is always the case with open source projects. If you think you can do better, open a merge request and contribute. Otherwise, don’t take the effort put into these projects for granted.

(Sorry for the potential off topic but it had to be said imho)

6 Likes

I just update my Manjaro KDE (5.10 LTS) and i have no issue with 2080Ti on my Dell S2417DG (1440p@144Hz) with DP1.3 (or possible 1.4 can’t remember) cable.

I was very worried i could run into issues and backup my drive with timeshift and collected some Infos about there was no need, Manjaro still rulez and i love how beautiful KDE looks :slight_smile:

Edit: I’m experience Sound issue with my Creative AE-5 Soundcard, the Center Box from my 5.1 Soundsystem no longer working, there must be some new issues with Alsamixer related to my Soundcard because it was working in the past.

clearly there are’nt enough ppl using nvidia cards in the testing branch, and of the ppl who were, there werent as many ppl experiencing issues. so till there arent as many testers be prepared to get messy updates making it to the stable branch. i’ve seen enough ppl here whining about not having latest drivers when some were delayed too. you are not entitled for absolute stability while playing it safe, that is hypocrisy

2 Likes