[Stable Update] 2021-05-19 - Kernels, Nvidia, KDE Frameworks, Plasma, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE Gear Mobile, FF, TB

I have experienced the issue described here:
/t/kde-could-not-find-theme-after-update/58598
(plugin cannot be loaded for module “org.kde.plasma.core”: Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/core/libcorebingingsplugin.so: (/usr/lib//ibKF5KIOcore.so.5 undefined symbol: _ZN4KJob14percentChangedEPS_mNS_14QPrivateSignalE))

1. At first I tried sudo pacman -Qqn | sudo pacman -S -

2. That didn’t work so I fixed the error on sddm screen by following this:
    /t/i-not-able-to-use-my-custom-theme-in-manjaro/30214/4

3. sudo pacman -S kwindowsystem kcrash knotifications kwallet kservice kglobalaccel kxmlgui ktextwidgets kio kbookmarks this reverted some packages back to the non ‘-git’ version, I thought that would be it, since I no longer saw any conflicts.

4. After reboot I was greeted with a black screen so had to get into TTY and connect to the internet like this:
    nmcli con delete <SSID> to remove previous connection
    nmcli device wifi connect <SSID> password <PASSWORD>

5. To find the rest of mismatching packages I ran:
    pacman -Q | grep -E "-git"

6. Then I ran the sync command again to revert the rest of KDE packages back to non ‘-git’ versions. This might vary depending on what package required the community versions in the first place.

sudo pacman -S xxx xxxxxx xxxx.....

1. After another reboot all works well.

Yes, of course Manjaro is a rolling release. I already knew that when I decided to daily drive it. But then the question arises; what is the point of having stable and non-stable branches? Isn’t the point to curve updates that break things badly? And even if we were to go by the number of users being affected being only 10-15%, we have to consider that at this scale we are talking about a lot of users here. I don’t expect every update to be perfect or devoid of issues nor should anyone else. But, it is perplexing that we have different branches and yet this was pushed to the stable branch rather than being held back. And yes, Windows does seem to mess up a lot with their updates, but that doesn’t mean we should follow in their footsteps. We should obviously try and be better and that’s why we have people running Linux in the first place. Once again, I really hope this devs don’t take this personally, and I do really appreciate everything that they do.

9 Likes

@XRaTiX this is sorted out and fixed today

3 Likes

Since the update I have a jumpy mouse scroll problem…
Edit: I cleaned the inside and it is much better now. The problem seem to have been started after the update though.
Edit2: The issue came back… I know, it’s hard to believe. It can still be partly hardware related, maybe? But I bought a new mouse, which doesn’t have this issue (yet).

Sorry about my late answer: My monitor is ASUS PA329 (3840x2160)

Thats somehwere between 1 and 2 out of 10 people.

No that is not okay for ‘stable’

Regarding Nvidia issues with display-port: I don’t see many of you guys complaining here at the 465.24.02 page fault - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums. So maybe do that so they might produce a fix faster …

2 Likes

I had done it System freezes after GRUB with Nvidia 460/465 and DP - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Ill do it there too

thanks

1 Like

I dont agree. Rolling release is not a passport to significantly break stable system. Many people rely on utmost system stability of Manjaro. Stability must be of a paramount importance, Manjaro is not a toy. Thanks to consider improving testing and make sure stability is not affected.

8 Likes

Manjaro is the distro that suits me best because it is rolling release AND stable. If I wanted stable, I would go Ubuntu. If I wanted rolling release, I would go Arch. If I wanted to use a different OS for games than I do for work, I would use Windows. Manjaro is the only major distro that suits me. Manjaro exists to be a stable alternative to Arch. That’s why this update hurts so much.

Edit: Manjaro is happy to delay updating to GNOME 40 for months because the default appearance has changed, but won’t delay upgrading a video card driver that is known to prevent booting, even if only for a minority of users. That’s a really messed up set of priorities.

I also wanted to say that I love Manjaro, it’ll be the distro that suits me best whatever happens here, and I appreciate the volunteers that are working on it.

14 Likes

Hello

I am trying to update an ASUS Laptop purchased from ixsoft with manjoro/kde preinstalled. To date the regular updates have been installed without any difficulties. With the latest update, the nvidia drivers have been updated to 460.80xx and the linux59 kernel has been removed.

running $ sudo pacman -Syyu outputs the following error:

Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: Installation von nvidia-utils (460.80-1) verletzt Abhängigkeit ‘nvidia-utils=460.73.01’, benötigt von linux59-nvidia

I am unable to install a newer kernel (preferably a LTS kernel) as the existing kernel is dependant on nvidia 460.73xx.

The existing kernel cannot be removed as it is the running kernel.

What to do?

I ended up going to Linux 5.4 LTS Kernel and am running the latest nVidia 4.80 drivers. Before I had run into issues cause I was on the 5.9 kernel.

Anyone also experience some weird glitches on Firefox?

I just noticed, that CUDA is broken with this update. Error:
ptxas application ptx input, line 9; fatal : Unsupported .version 7.3; current version is '7.2'
Installed components:
community/cuda 11.3.0-1 [installed]
local/linux54-nvidia 460.80-1 (linux54-extramodules)

cuda 11.3 is only supported with nvidia 465+
https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-toolkit-release-notes/index.html#cuda-major-component-versions

“Wired” as opposed to “wireless”?

weird in case of strange oops :smiley:

hm, vim extension needs latest code (vscode on official arch linux repo) to can be installed

Good grief, man. wired wierd :point_right: weird :point_left:

4 Likes

Problem solved using octopi:

Selected linux59 and linux59-nvidia for deletion, selected linux510 and linux510-nvidia for installation and selected nvidia-utils for update. Transaction then runs with no errors.

After rebooting laptop, full system update runs as normal.

I had exactly same issue, updated with warning that nvidia dependancy breaks, after reboot black screen.
Now Im doing timeshift restore from tty (glad it works), but it takes so much time to restore, frequently throwing rsync errors Input/output (probably the reason is my old hdd), but it has no progress bar and no sign of how much is already restored and how much still have to be done. I’ve been running timeshift for 20+ minutes now and have no idea how much more it will be restoring all the data.

But I believe the issue was completely same - nvidia drivers, since I have nvidia 960 which has two display ports. So black screen from stable version - is not something good :frowning:
Hope such things won’t be put in stable updates anymore.

1 Like

Again my multiseat-setup was broken after this update. I do use nvidia-cards, but with noveau driver. 2 seats (each with 4k-resolution) :face_with_thermometer:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log                                                                                                                                                      [1]
[     7.268] 
X.Org X Server 1.20.11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[     7.268] Build Operating System: Linux Manjaro Linux
[     7.268] Current Operating System: Linux manjaro18 5.12.2-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 7 17:53:15 UTC 2021 x86_64
[     7.268] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-5.12-x86_64 root=UUID=3487ba3d-1cba-4cdc-a043-c420ebca2aca rw rootflags=subvol=@ bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash modprobe.blacklist=ccp udev.log_priority=3 audit=0 sysrq_always_enabled=1
[     7.268] Build Date: 13 April 2021  04:11:08PM
[     7.268]  
[     7.269] Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
[     7.269] 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
[     7.269] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[     7.269] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 30 18:46:30 2021
[     7.269] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[     7.269] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[     7.269] (EE) No ServerLayout section called "seat0"
[     7.269] (EE) Unable to determine the screen layout
[     7.269] (EE) Error parsing the config file
[     7.269] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[     7.269] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[     7.269] (EE) 
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
[     7.269] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[     7.269] (EE) 
[     7.269] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
  • Lightdm refused to start
  • because x11 did not start
  • because seat0 was unknown (EE) No ServerLayout section called "seat0"
  • because there is a valid ServerLayout “layout” in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf and in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf

This prevents the seat management from loginctl to work properly. If there is no conf-File at all, seat-management will work out of the box. if there is any conf-File with an Section “ServerLayout” named “layout” this will not work any more, butt expect to have also a conf file with seat0 and seat1 (but i don´t have any)

After editing these files and adding a # in front of every line, seat management does work again :roll_eyes:

#Section "ServerLayout"
#    Identifier "layout"
#    Option "AllowNVIDIAGPUScreens"
#EndSection
#
#Section "OutputClass"
#    Identifier "AMDgpu"
#    MatchDriver "amdgpu"
#    Driver "amdgpu"
#EndSection
#
#Section "OutputClass"
#    Identifier "nvidia"
#    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
#    Driver "nvidia"
#    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
#    ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg"
#    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
#EndSection

this is the second time. At first i did rename these files. But that did not prevent that they reapear with the next update :woozy_face:

this had also happend 2 weeks ago

2 Likes