[Stable Update] 2021-05-19 - Kernels, Nvidia, KDE Frameworks, Plasma, Systemd, LibreOffice, KDE Gear Mobile, FF, TB

• my 1060ti and others are not supported atm
  • stable

???

What do you mean? The GeForce GTX 1660 Ti is supported, I have it as well.

EDIT: You have the 1060, but it’s still supported.

Heard it’s an issue with the 1060 and the latest driver. Had to rollback the package.

Would drop an image but i cannot embed photos nor images.

I’ve tested many things:
I rolled back with timeshift, it didn’t start either - black screen, same issue.
I switched monitor from DVI to HDMI and it started working (rolled back to the state before update)
Then I tried to update and the issue was that I have kernel 5.9 which is unsupported. On the update it removes linux59-nvidia and I end up with same black screen.

I tried to change kernel before updating but it fails because it breaks nvidia drivers dependency, because new kernels require new nvidia drivers.

I have no idea so far how to fix it, but I manually updated everything except nvidia drivers.
So far so good, but I’m kinda stuck with old and unsupported 5.9 kernel.

Hello, @poplach
Have you tried to install another kernel alongside 5.9, say 5.10 ??
1st Manjaro Kernels - Manjaro → install the 5.10 kernel its LTS
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510 or use the GUI Tool. With th GUI its easier.

2nd I think you should manually install the appropriate drivers nvidia drivers that go with kernel 5.10 and your system.

3rd Boot to kernel 5.10. If everything is oki, you can remove kernel 5.9.

Good luck…

This is what I was trying to do.
The problem is if I do try install any kernel before last update - it can’t find old nvidia drivers, all mirrors result in 404 not found.
But if I try after the update, all current kernels require latest nvidia drivers and they come as a dependency of any kernel I try to install.

I was trying that via ‘Manjaro settings’ GUI, I’m not sure if I can do it manually, because it runs some hooks, rebuilds grub menu and does many other things I don’t know.

Can you open a separate thread, explain your problem again and post inxi -Fazy
So more people can see it and try to help, solve the problem.

1 Like

I guess I will post my recent experience and see it might help. I am running stable gnome for a few years, amd cpu with nvidia 1080 video card. I was running the nvidia drivers and X w/ gnome, not Wayland. Black screen forced me to install free video drivers and the only way back to my desktop was to use Wayland. I get a black screen trying to log into gnome on X.
Hopefully the next update will set things right.

You can always switch to the testing branch and see if 465.31 helps. :wink:

So I decided to live on the edge and run a blind update after having had done no maintenance for a month or so.

Turns out reading all 4 forum threads in advance wouldn’t have helped me deal with the actual issue anyway.

Namely my boot failed but NOT due to the usual.

The following note in /etc/default/grub rather downplays the issue:

# Uncomment to ensure that the root filesystem is mounted read-only so that
# systemd-fsck can run the check automatically. We use 'fsck' by default, which
# needs 'rw' as boot parameter, to avoid delay in boot-time. 'fsck' needs to be
# removed from 'mkinitcpio.conf' to make 'systemd-fsck' work.
# See also Arch-Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fsck#Boot_time_checking
GRUB_ROOT_FS_RO=true

It’s not a “delay” but rather BREAKAGE.

Long story short, I had to chroot and remove the fsck HOOK from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rebuild the images with mkinitcpio -P,

Which was uncool™.

I don’t really care that 2 subsystems try to do the same job and step on each other’s toes. This is still no reason to make a system unbootable.

Just systemd doing Systemd things…

Another update and another system breaking bug most likely caused by the nvidia drivers. So another day wasted trying to get the OS to boot up and work normally. Or I might wait for the next “stable” update and pray it works …

Thankfully Timeshift exists. Better use outdated system than not having an OS at all.

2 Likes

Nvidia 460.80 drivers update went well on my end: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 2560x1440 Dell S2721DGF monitor. Both HDMI and Display Port are okay.

1 Like

Finally got around updating and everything went fine and no immediate issues after reboot. Connected my hi-res (4K) monitor through HDMI and no issues as well.

My graphics setup seems to run fine with the latest update and nvidia drivers:

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:3e9b class-ID: 0300 
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU117GLM [Quadro T2000 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia 
  v: 460.80 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1fb8 
  class-ID: 0302 
  Device-3: Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  bus-ID: 1-12:4 chip-ID: 0c45:6723 class-ID: 0e02 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.11 compositor: gnome-shell driver: 
  loaded: modesetting,nvidia resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Quadro T2000/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.80 
  direct render: Yes 

I’m having an issue with nvidia gpu card after fresh installation of manjaro. Once I switch of my monitor and switch on again I can see only black screen and no signals. CTRL+ALT+F2 and CTRL+ALT+F1 did not help (no response at all). How to resolve this issue ?

The vast majority of this thread is about your problem with a few options you may have and links.

Promoting this nvidia driver to stable was just plain reckless. This doesn’t just effect 4k displays it impacts any display connected via display port and it causes a kernel panic. The new driver doesn’t offer anything that is necessary to versus the impact of crashing a system that uses display port which is a modern day port. Hopefully the team rolls back to a stable driver if it isn’t fixed by the next time a new update is available. The whole purpose of stable is that drivers and applications that have major issues aren’t pushed to that branch until the upstream resolves their problems.

3 Likes

You’re barking up the wrong tree. The issues lie upstream. Perhaps comment on an existing thread on the NVIDIA forums.

Rolling distributions roll forward, not backward. They’re a bit more bleeding edge than fixed release distributions you might be used to. If you want a more stable system, then the rolling release model might not be for you.

Latest update ran successful on my Intel 2600 w/ nVidia 1060 running on 240hz monitor.
Awesome!

Nope.
This driver should not have been pushed to stable:

Money quote

To prevent problems, Manjaro adds additional layers of testing to the Arch repositories. Normal packages will go through these additional layers and will only be released for users who want a stable system, when no more problems are found.

If that testing and holding back problematic packages isn’t the goal anymore, this stable branch should get a name change to reflect that.

8 Likes