[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

The issue might be, that your laptop uses hybrid cards. Since we simplified the way we support Nvidia from now on, it might be possible, that we don’t support your graphics anymore. Try to get to your BIOS/UEFI and try to either disable your Nvidia card or force it to be the only one. Then retry to install graphics drivers: Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro It would be good to start a new thread for your issue @SinTan1729

2 Likes

Um, if you’re on the 20 series (and I think even 10 series) there’s no reclocking support, so you’re stuck at boost clocks, also there’s no vulkan whatsoever, so it’s useless for gaming. And if you’re on the 30 series, you can’t use Nouveau at all as it’s not supported. What kind of question is this.

1 Like

After I updated and reboot, I get a prompt with the following:

Warning: /lib/modules/5.10.2-2-MANJARO/modules.devname not found - ignoring
mount: /new_root: unknown filesystem type ‘ext4’.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

I have restored from a Timeshift snapshot and my system info is below:
Any ideas on how to update safely?
I have the Optimus Manager software installed and use only the Intel graphics. The NVIDIA controller is turned off on my XPS 9560.

W/ a 1060 your best bet is probably 455.

Manjaro KDE wasnt booting, after the update it seems like it failed to install nvidia drivers luckily I looked through this thread and found that I can access the terminal using ctrl+alt+f2 and then I proceeded to check if nvidia drivers were installed using pacman -Q which told me nothing was installed so I sudo pacman -S nvidia and selected nvidia kernel 5.10 and it fixed it! a little disappointed that it didnt do the update smoothly but its linux what can I expected.

I had an issue where, on an Optimus laptop running linux414 with bbswitch for nvidia-430xx, after the upgrade and switch to nvidia-455xx under the nvidia-intel-prime config, my default renderer was llvmpipe (which is a software renderer) instead of Mesa Intel(R).

I fixed it by

1. Ensuring that I only have the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime and video-modesetting configs installed in mhwd, uninstalling others
  2. Switching to linux54

You can read about the path to the fix here:

@Shawnster_P thanks for the correction :smile:

Another try to fix automatic Nvidia driver upgrades:

2 Likes

455 drivers broke switching to another TTY on 5.4 as expected.
Otherwise no issues.

The update is working properly wirh nvidia proprietary drivers MANUALLY installed. The manjaro-system update script detects an invalid mhwd version. When a driver update will be released, does the new script version normally update the drivers automatically or does it need to be manually updated?

There’s no option in my BIOS to disable either GPU. What might be another option?

I have an OLED laptop (Dell XPS 7590). I no longer have out the box brightness control with 5.10. Still works with 5.9. Presumably the patches for this haven’t made their way to Manjaro’s package of the 5.10 kernel.

idem on my laptop.

Hybrid Intel/NVidia

This is not relevant to xfce4-terminal, but to bash (which I assume you’re using). In version 5.1 of bash the setting enable-bracketed-paste is set to on by default. This feature will highlight the pasted text in the terminal.

To disable it, close your terminal, add this line in your ~/.bashrc file

bind 'set enable-bracketed-paste off'

and restart the terminal.

For more information you can see the new features of bash here or read man bash.

5 Likes

Please do not post images of terminal output, copy+paste and use proper formatting.

1 Like

I installed updates via pamac. Pamac was not showing the status of installation after downloading 1.3Gb of updates. It was like got stuck showing 1.3GB/1.3GB for long time. I closed pamac using task manager. Restarted pamac again then it showed waiting for another instance to close, then i used sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck. Once again restarted pamac and it showed your system is up-to-date. I restarted system and found no issues as far as now. I was like in a doubt whether my system got updated fully or missed something.

I fixed some more issues in manjaro-system

Also I noticed that some nvidia drivers for linux510 were missing for some reason from our repositories. That should have been fixed also. Additionally we fixed some issues with SDDM and GDM.

6 Likes

smooth update (intel laptop with integrated graphics), thx everybody who contributes for manjaro. Happy new year everybody <3 stay happy and healthy.

Read this thread before updating so I knew there was likely to be issues with Nvidia drivers beforehand . But I decided to give the update a shot for the helluva it . Ran the update from tty as always and yup rebooted in to a black screen . I took the long way around resolving the issue by booting in to a live session and restoring a snapshot with Timeshift . Rebooted , removed Nvidia 455 using hardware configuration rebooted , ran the update again from tty , no issues so another reboot and installed video -nvidia via hardware configuration followed by another reboot and tada ! Everything works as intended . System info shows nvidia 455 as the driver . Probably took me longer to type this than the whole procedure actually took .

1 Like

Hi and a Happy New Year to everyone!

It seems there’s something gone awry with the transition to Python 3.9 regarding rabbitvcs and associated packages (i.e., rabbitvcs-nemo, rabbitvcs-cli). Not only does Nemo no longer show any related menu items, but a test run of rabbitvcs in the terminal also fails with the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rabbitvcs", line 27, in <module>
    from rabbitvcs.util.helper import launch_ui_window
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/rabbitvcs/util/__init__.py", line 24, in <module>
    from rabbitvcs.util.log import Log
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/rabbitvcs/util/log.py", line 49, in <module>
    from rabbitvcs.util.settings import SettingsManager, get_home_folder
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/rabbitvcs/util/settings.py", line 36, in <module>
    import validate
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'validate'

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with Python myself, plus there don’t seem to be any log messages that could shed more light on it (~/.config/rabbitvcs/RabbitVCS.log predates the update)…

Any suggestions appreciated! THX in advance.