[Stable Update] 2020-12-30 - Kernels, KDE, Cinnamon, LibreOffice, Python 3.9, Mesa 20.3.1

Why are you advertising paid software? What is wrong with LibreOffice and Calligra?

Same here, get that message when updating the database in Pamac. I removed Catfish for now, and can proceed with updating the DB. This happened before doing the 2020-12-30 stable update on both an XFCE desktop running as a Virtualbox guest on a Mac Host, as well as a bare metal install of Manjaro XFCE. Both catfish and zeitgeist are from the official repos. Kernel is 5.9.16.1 on both systems

Why are you trying to troll?
We have a partnership with softmaker for years … it doesnt mean you have to use it or anything.
Though it has meant that we have helped improve the free version of that software for everyone.

5 Likes

I tried to install “rebuild-detector” but, even if the garr repos (italy) are flagged as synced, the installation procedure fails because the program is not there (404)… Have I to wait for further garr repos synchronization?

When I boot after updating I get a blank screen. If I boot to 5.9.1.-rt19-1 it boots normally. 5.19.16-1 and 5.10.2-2 both give me a blank screen. If I go to tty2 (CtrlAlt F2) I get a login prompt and can login and ‘startx’ seems to work normally. If I get to tty2 and then go to tty1 (CtrlAlt F1) there is no login prompt. It says something like:

/dev/sda1: clean (numbers) files (numbers) blocks (numbers)

followed by a blinkng cursor.

From tty2, dmesg doesn’t show anything unusual, at least as far as I can tell.

I have no nvidia drivers.

I have this ghost document in kde menu.ghost document

How can i remove it?

Same issue

I also had some issues with noto-fonts update downgrade fix it temporally

Hi, I updated my system, all is working good but I found 2 issues:

1 -> elisa the KDE music player every time I open the program it deletes all my songs so every time I need to make a force index files, but I think is more an KDE issue

2 -> after the update in the notification popup if it contains emoji it is rapresented as square even copy & paste of the emoji in the terminal are rapresented as squares so I think there are some conflicts with fonts or the new libraries or the newer versions have some bugs ! but I can’t figure out, before the update all worked good.

For me the second issue is very important, could someone find how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I restored my system with Timeshift to the older state, installed rebuild-detector un checked to not update only two packages noto-fonts and noto-fonts-cjk (for now they are in the ignored list), the update went smooth, even elisa is working! after rebooting the system I installed the 5.10 kernel and also the nvidia drivers (I have a hybrid graphics laptop it’s a shame i never get working the nvidia gpu), after reboot the system is working fine, so the two noto-fonts packages broked all the emoji.

I don’t know how to manage the ignored packages, I don’t wanna break my system, does anyone give me some advices? thanks in advance!

Seems like all went well on my Manjaro Cinnamon desktop, though I must admit, I was quite cautious this time. Usually, I simply allow Pamac to do its thing, and trust it to do things right. But for whatever reason, after reading about the Nvidia drivers/packages having issues, along with a new kernel, I decided to be extra careful.

I performed the update, in run-level 3, in this order:

1. Removed the Nvidia drivers via pamac remove.
  2. Ran pamac checkupdates to ensure pamac could see that there were updates available (and to verify the network connection was working).
  3. Used pamac install rebuild-detector because I did have a few AUR packages installed previously. This step downloaded ~1.2 GB, IIRC.
  4. Restarted system; again logged-in, run-level 3.
  5. Ran pamac checkupdates again, said system is up-to-date.
  6. Ran sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510 to install the latest kernel.
  7. Restarted system; again logged-in, run-level 3.
  8. Ran pamac checkupdates yet again, said system is up-to-date.
  9. Ran sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 to install proprietary Nvidia drivers. For whatever reason, nouveau has never worked right with this system, and the Nvidia X Server Settings GUI is very useful to me.
  10. I completely lost video output at this point. The ol’ three-finger salute (Ctrl+Alt+Del) was enough to restart.
  11. Booted Manjaro normally from GRUB, everything magically works!

Of course, to ensure my effort wouldn’t end in an unusable state, I created an image of my disk partitions via CloneZilla, and ran Timeshift & Deja Dup, before starting any of this. I’m only too happy to see that I won’t need to be restoring from them. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
A bit more information about the system itself, just in case others with similar hardware are struggling. It’s an HP ProDesk 400 G1 SFF (Intel H81 motherboard) with a Core i3-4130 CPU and Gigabyte-branded low-profile Nvidia GT 1030 video card. The OSes are Windows 10 Pro and Manjaro Cinnamon (20.2-201208-linux59 when installed just a week or so ago), in dual boot, on a cheap 240-GB Microcenter/Inland Pro SATA SSD. Yes, this is a salvaged computer, why do you ask? :grin:
This Manjaro installation is on the stable branch, and only had kernel 5.9 installed, prior to this latest update. Now, it only has kernel 5.10, as I removed kernel 5.9 once I was confident everything was working properly.

3 Likes

It was available in Manjaro settings manager > Kernels.

I don’t use Elisa, but I did try it last week and kept it on the system. I just checked it, and it doesn’t see the music anymore, so I guess I can confirm the same thing happened to me. Just to be clear, its not deleting the files, but forgets they are there and you have to re-index as sergiupopescu said.

1 Like

I’ve tried @philm 's fix, but I’m still unable to start SDDM. I’m not sure it’s related to the 5.10 kernel, as 5.4 isn’t working either.

bluetooth does not work with kernel 5.10. I switched to 5.4
(Atheros AR9462 )

Hello,

happy new year. I read the thread, but i am a little confused. Currently i use kernel 5.4, nVidia 440 (for GeForce GTX 1060) and GNOME. I have not execute this update yet.
What should be done to update the system and reduce the risk of problems after restart ;-)?
Switch to Nouveau-driver (or nVidia 455?), i.e. uninstall nvidia-440-driver, BEFORE executing the update? Or it is better to execute the update as usual? I would prefer the proprietary nvidia driver 455.

Thanks.

(P.S. I forgot my password to login in my manjaro account (kumat), but the email response to reset the password seems not to work. I waited one day, but i got no email.)

Update got sprung on me when installing an unrelated package, seemed fine after prodding pacman to update properly. Now running linux510 with a NVidia 1030 and KDE Plasma 5.20.4 without issue.

Summary

pacman/mhwd seemed to have some issue installing the nvidia driver updates the mhwd packages /configs weren’t updated before the kernel maintenance routines were run (probably as this wasn’t done as part of a proper update). Checked this thread, applied all the updates

sudo pacman -Syu

pre-emptively ran

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 

as I fully expected to be in text mode due to the earlier errors, restarted and everything just worked. Had to remove linux59 (again) as it was first automatically removed, and then automatically updated.

That was interesting. When I rebooted I believe that I must have been running off the on board intel graphics because I didn’t any driver installed. I then I installed the video-nvidia driver which I assume is the 455xx driver. (which is what I was running before)

Remove one of them, try again, re-install the one you removed.

:+1:

The issue might be, that your laptop uses hybrid cards. Since we simplified the way we support Nvidia from now on, it might be possible, that we don’t support your graphics anymore. Try to get to your BIOS/UEFI and try to either disable your Nvidia card or force it to be the only one. Then retry to install graphics drivers: Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro It would be good to start a new thread for your issue @SinTan1729

2 Likes

Um, if you’re on the 20 series (and I think even 10 series) there’s no reclocking support, so you’re stuck at boost clocks, also there’s no vulkan whatsoever, so it’s useless for gaming. And if you’re on the 30 series, you can’t use Nouveau at all as it’s not supported. What kind of question is this.

1 Like