[Stable Update] 2020-11-22 - Kernels, Pamac, Gnome, Jade, OnlyOffice, Xorg-Server

With the amount of information you’ve given, pick “Upgrade and hope”.

1 Like

Just post this problem in this link

You just did. :wink: qgnomeplatform 0.6.90+4+gee864df-1 is pushed to all branches.

1 Like

You can safely remove it. It was added as a dependency for manjaro-hello in error initially.

1 Like

Still black screen after applying this upgrade.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/black-screen-after-stable-update-2020-11-18/

1 Like

@verminator was being sarcastic because you provided absolutely no information about your issue. Here is what you need to do in order to get help getting your system back up and running.

1. Read this link on how to provide the information needed to assist you.
  1. Create a new thread in the support category (go to categories select support, then select the area which is most applicable for your issue. If you aren’t sure then post it in support/General to start with. Make sure you provide the information discussed in the above link about “How to provide good information”

By doing the above I’m sure the community will be able to help you get back up and running and is far more likely to have your system back up and running than going the Wait and hope route.

1 Like

I asked for a general procedure, I got a general answer and that’s okay. If somebody isn’t serious, there’s no need to answer. I detailed my problem in the separate thread, like it’s supposed to be.

1 Like

No problems with the update of Manjaro KDE on my custom built desktop (Intel processor, AMD graphics).

Yet another rock solid stable update (Gnome, 5.9 kernel, nvidia 455)

Thank you to the manjaro team and all of the community that work so hard to continually bring everyone one of the most stable and up-to-date linux distribution out there!

1 Like

Cinnamon, 5.4, all good. thanks for your work!

I am having an issue where the login manager takes an increasable time to load, if I wait it will load but it takes way to long to be comfortable with!

Just to confirm that kernel 5.9 + nvidia-390xx works fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Backlight problem (can’t control the brightness) is still present with the 5.9.10 kernel. The ‘i915.enable_dpcd_backlight=0’ option is still necessary to avoid this problem.

1 Like

It also happened to me, but I fixed it as follows on my Ideapad laptop:

• Edit the file /etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf
  • Inside under Section "Device", I added Option "Backlight" "ideapad"

Thank you for your efforts!

Hello, after I updated last night, I cannot boot anymore.
After I entered grub screen and choose the default manjaro entry it went blank. Just blank, no output or anything. For note, I disable silent boot.
But I was able to boot using initramfs-fallback (Kernel: 5.9.10-1) option.

I have nvidia laptop, I am still using video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440x-prime does it have something to do with that? I am a little afraid to change it to 550x. Is it a must?

this is output for mkinitcpio

sudo mkinitcpio -P                                                                                                                                              Sel 24 Nov 2020 05:21:11 
[sudo] password for ifrit: 
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux57.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.7-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.7-x86_64.img
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.7.19-2-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux57.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.7-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.7-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.7.19-2-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux58.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.8-x86_64.img
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.8.18-1-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux58.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.8-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/5.8.18-1-MANJARO' is not a valid kernel module directory
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux59.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.9-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.9.10-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [resume]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux59.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.9-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 5.9.10-1-MANJARO
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [resume]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful

Hey Anthony. I have been having issues as well. After this latest update I played around a bit, trying to figure out why none of the posted solutions was working.

Logged in blind and hit alt-F3 to TTY:

mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-440xx

removed the 440 driver which wasn’t being updated somehow.

mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-455xx

finally installed 455 and it all works with the 5.8 kernel. I haven’t tried to see whether it works with 5.9 yet.

Yet another thing to try. Best of luck!

1 Like

Hi there.

You need to provide more information regarding your issue. Does it boot up at all? You need to provide more useful insight, which increases the chances of you receiving some help. Also, are you on the stable branch? What desktop do you use? What symptoms is your machine showing? Do you have more than one LTS kernel installed? If not, you need to do that, once your system is fixed.

I would suggest you look in the newbie section for answers first, based on the symptoms. If you don’t find a suitable answer, then post.

All the best.

Ruziel :slight_smile:
PS - Okay, I see on your profile you are a KDE user on Stable branch. I hope you find a solution soon. Go well.

1 Like

Howdy!

Prior to latest update, I have noticed a major decrease in performance with Xwayland and Xorg apps.

Gnome theming is also broken under Xorg, but I mostly use Wayland, so that is not much of an issue.

For the performance decrease, it impacts both my Workstation and my laptops, including my ASUS Vivobook ( AMD A-12 [quad-core @ 2.9GHz], Radeon R7, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD [5400RPM]).

It is indeed a Xorg specific issue, but it does not urge, or is it important. Rolled back Xorg and everything works fine.

Otherwise, everything seems to be working!

I’m experiencing a similar decrease in performance. Rebooting helps on my side.

1 Like