[Stable Update] 2020-11-22 - Kernels, Pamac, Gnome, Jade, OnlyOffice, Xorg-Server

I am sorry but nvidia-persistanced is not what you think it is. It will keep nothing after reboot.

quote:

A Linux daemon utility, nvidia-persistenced , addresses an undesirable side effect of the NVIDIA kernel driver behavior in certain computing environments. Whenever the NVIDIA device resources are no longer in use, the NVIDIA kernel driver will tear down the device state. Normally, this is the intended behavior of the device driver, but for some applications, the latencies incurred by repetitive device initialization can significantly impact performance.
To avoid this behavior, nvidia-persistenced provides a configuration option called “persistence mode” that can be set by NVIDIA management software, such as nvidia-smi . When persistence mode is enabled, the daemon holds the NVIDIA character device files open, preventing the NVIDIA kernel driver from tearing down device state when no other process is using the device. This utility does not actually use any device resources itself - it will simply sleep while maintaining a reference to the NVIDIA device state.

So if you have more than one Nvidia card in your system it is OK yo use it and latency is a problem.

May be it will be more useful to use nvidia-suspend.service, nvidia-resume.service, to save RAM of the card in Susepnd/Resume, but not reboot.

Thank you all envolved very much ! This was very nice and smooth update / upgrade for stable gnome! At first just accept new automatic packages from Pamac and then install new kernel 5.9.10-1 from Manjaro Settings Manager → reboot and that’s it ! :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

One of the previous updates enabled the “pop sholl extension” and gave me the behavior you describe.
Perhaps your issue is caused by that extension being enabled by the update?

1 Like

Ohhhh i see…interesting indeed.
I do have only 1 card in system, so indeed maybe i better make use of the suspend/resume services :+1:

Changed it into:

1 Like

Smooth in 2 Xfce machine (one old one new). Thanks!

I am still suffering from the issue with QT5 apps on gnome not showing dialogs. I digged deeper on the cause and the maintainer supplied a fix in commit:

How can I help to get this commit included in the next (un)stable/testing release?
qgnomeplatform is currently at version 0.6.90+3+gd5a01ea-1
2 Likes

Hello guys, all went fine kernel 5.4 xfce. :+1:

One question:
1. Where can I find a list of manjaro packages and their dependencies ?? like there is for arch

I have one orphan package software-center-web-jak(Install Software from Manjaro discover service).
Do I remove it or what ?? That’s way I want to see list of packages.

Thanks.

Thanks, it was indeed! Glad it’s not an actual bug.
Thank you a lot!

After this update(KDE, kenerl from 5.8 to 5.9.8-2), optimus manager can’t change to hybrid mode or Nvidia mode. Thought some thing wrong with Nvidia driver, what should I do? Currently I can’t change the lightness and can’t light up my second screen which may due to this problem.

1 Like

What’s the recommended course of action if the last upgrade broke the system? Upgrade and hope for the best or wait for help?

1 Like

With the amount of information you’ve given, pick “Upgrade and hope”.

1 Like

Just post this problem in this link

You just did. :wink: qgnomeplatform 0.6.90+4+gee864df-1 is pushed to all branches.

1 Like

You can safely remove it. It was added as a dependency for manjaro-hello in error initially.

1 Like

Still black screen after applying this upgrade.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/black-screen-after-stable-update-2020-11-18/

1 Like

@verminator was being sarcastic because you provided absolutely no information about your issue. Here is what you need to do in order to get help getting your system back up and running.

1. Read this link on how to provide the information needed to assist you.
  1. Create a new thread in the support category (go to categories select support, then select the area which is most applicable for your issue. If you aren’t sure then post it in support/General to start with. Make sure you provide the information discussed in the above link about “How to provide good information”

By doing the above I’m sure the community will be able to help you get back up and running and is far more likely to have your system back up and running than going the Wait and hope route.

1 Like

I asked for a general procedure, I got a general answer and that’s okay. If somebody isn’t serious, there’s no need to answer. I detailed my problem in the separate thread, like it’s supposed to be.

1 Like

No problems with the update of Manjaro KDE on my custom built desktop (Intel processor, AMD graphics).

Yet another rock solid stable update (Gnome, 5.9 kernel, nvidia 455)

Thank you to the manjaro team and all of the community that work so hard to continually bring everyone one of the most stable and up-to-date linux distribution out there!

1 Like

Cinnamon, 5.4, all good. thanks for your work!