[Stable Update] 2020-11-18 - Kernels, Plasma5, Frameworks, Thunderbird, Firefox, Mesa

downgrading grub to previous version 2.04-11.1 did not help

Do you have systemd hook in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

no this is all I have in

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

should I add systemd to Hooks of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

this was indeed an issue with yay, together with yay not being able to create a config file if there already wasnt one, an update released a day ago for yay was included in this round of updates here

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for this update! You’re doing an awesome job! :slight_smile:

There were two issues I faced during the update, which I had to fix.

1. The problem with the jade-application-kit package. I couldn’t update the system as it constantly dropped an error saying that some files depending on that package already exist. So I have removed that package as it was used by the office-online app as a dependency, which I actually don’t use anymore.

2. And once again I had a problem with the system hanging on “Started CUPS scheduler” during boot. It was the same issue with the nvidia driver. I did force reinstall sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-nvidia-455xx. After that the system booted just fine. For more details, check my old post here, as I already faced that isssue before, when I was updating my system to the 5.8.6-1 kernel.

Overall everything updated with no issues and all seems to work just fine.

I just upgraded a Manjaro KDE VMware virtual machine:

update broke desktop effects (wobbly windows at least) - looks like compositor issue.
second display not working correctly (worked before update)
KDE panel and menu became transparent.

Same bugs (except transparent menu and panel) are also present after fresh installation of new VMware VM.
Kernel before update was 5.9.3

1 Like

Lightdm would fail to start
Issue gone after reinstalling nvidia video drivers

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the pulse-audio problems from the previous stable-update that various users ran into were looked at and fixed? I haven’t updated to 2020-11-04, BTW.

2 Likes

Hi there!

I’m getting this error (translated from french…) during the pamac upgrade:
touch: cannot make a touch '/.config/mimeapps.list': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: line 873: /.config/mimeapps.list.new: No such file or directory

If I understand it correctly, something is trying to write a file in /.config, which obviously does not exist. :slightly_smiling_face: (or is it omitting my home folder?)
I can’t find anything about this online, and nothing wrong seems to have happened on my system, so no big deal, but if somebody happens to have a idea about what is going on…

P.S.: I’m using kernel 5.9.8-2-MANJARO on KDE Plasma 5.20.3.

Thanks!

There seem to be a couple of invalid signatures preventing the update. Is there a way to get past this?

388/388) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                                    [#######################################################################################################] 100%

(388/388) checking package integrity [#######################################################################################################] 100%
error: libinput: signature from “Andreas Radke andyrtr@archlinux.org” is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libinput-1.16.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] Y
error: btrfs-progs: signature from “Sébastien Luttringer seblu@seblu.net” is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/btrfs-progs-5.9-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] Y
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Nevermind. Deleting the files and re-downloading them took care of it.

While I see this issue frequently posted about I never have had any issue when I use the following to perform my upgrades (the keychain gets updated every time.)

sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip
sudo pacman -Syyu

That being said here is a link to possible ways to force the keychain being updated from the old forum.

1 Like

After updating both kernel 5.9.8-2 and 5.8.18-1 refuses to post a DE GUI.
While posting no errors in either systemctl or journalctl --failed

I booted back up in 5.7.19-2 and it sent me right to gnome login…

I updated using
sudo pacman -Syu

True, it has been a while since I updated my mirrors. I should do that!

No, you shouldn’t. But the weird thing with your mkinitcpio is that you don’t have encrypt hook there… It is necessary for booting from LUKS devices:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/System_configuration#mkinitcpio

How do I switch back to Linux58 to keep CUDA?

Who told you that you need linu58 in order to keep Cuda???

Still stuck despite update of sddm.
I don’t see a system-auth.pacnew in pam.d

1 Like

Hi, brand new clean install and during an update I get 404 and 500 errors for files not downloading.

Fails the upgrade and after reboot I just get “Failed to start Load Kernel Modules”

Tips and advice. I’ll reload again, 3rd time, since it is a clean build, but would like to get the system updated.