[Stable Update] 2020-11-18 - Kernels, Plasma5, Frameworks, Thunderbird, Firefox, Mesa

this update is not for arm

https://forum.manjaro.org/c/arm/stable-updates/79

1 Like

the redrawing problem still exists, when mesa version is 20.2.2-2

1 Like

Hi, after updating (Manjaro KDE) startup-notification 0.123-7 appears as an orphan.
Can it be removed?
Greetings

After the update & reboot, desktop on my desktop on primary display went black, without wallpaper image, but with functional panel and start menu. Mouse right click on primary desktop didn’t work at all. I changed resolution for primary display only to some other resolution and back to default, and everything went fine again. Wallpaper was visible and right mouse click works again.

After the update and the restart sddm failed to start, but the additional update with sddm fix helped. Although now I’m unable to change the brightness on kernel 5.9.8-2, but luckily on experimental 5.10.rc4.d1117.g0fa8ee0-1 brightness works.
I tried reinstalling drivers but it didn’t helped, same for changing value in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness. Probably something with kernel or its acpi_backlight setting, since the update to experimental helped. I haven’t been trying manually setting acpi_osi=Linux or anything like that.

1 Like

Use i915.enable_dpcd_backlight=0 as boot parameter to fix backlight problem

4 Likes

I had a minor issue with my system becoming very unresponsive on the first reboot. I think this was to do with thunderbird. No issues thereafter. :crossed_fingers:

after this update I have problem booting from luks encrypted volume. using kernel 5.9 after grub when kernel must boot it says ERROR /dev/mapper/luks… not found. I was suspecting on kernel installed kernel 5.4 from live system. But have same issue. there is no /dev/mapper directory at all. Could someone help please?

after this update I have problem booting from luks encrypted volume. using kernel 5.9 after grub when kernel must boot it says ERROR /dev/mapper/luks… not found. I was suspecting on kernel installed kernel 5.4 from live system. But have same issue. there is no /dev/mapper directory at all. Could someone help please?

Same issue here

downgrading grub to previous version 2.04-11.1 did not help

Do you have systemd hook in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

no this is all I have in

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard fsck)

should I add systemd to Hooks of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

this was indeed an issue with yay, together with yay not being able to create a config file if there already wasnt one, an update released a day ago for yay was included in this round of updates here

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for this update! You’re doing an awesome job! :slight_smile:

There were two issues I faced during the update, which I had to fix.

1. The problem with the jade-application-kit package. I couldn’t update the system as it constantly dropped an error saying that some files depending on that package already exist. So I have removed that package as it was used by the office-online app as a dependency, which I actually don’t use anymore.

2. And once again I had a problem with the system hanging on “Started CUPS scheduler” during boot. It was the same issue with the nvidia driver. I did force reinstall sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-nvidia-455xx. After that the system booted just fine. For more details, check my old post here, as I already faced that isssue before, when I was updating my system to the 5.8.6-1 kernel.

Overall everything updated with no issues and all seems to work just fine.

I just upgraded a Manjaro KDE VMware virtual machine:

update broke desktop effects (wobbly windows at least) - looks like compositor issue.
second display not working correctly (worked before update)
KDE panel and menu became transparent.

Same bugs (except transparent menu and panel) are also present after fresh installation of new VMware VM.
Kernel before update was 5.9.3

1 Like

Lightdm would fail to start
Issue gone after reinstalling nvidia video drivers

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the pulse-audio problems from the previous stable-update that various users ran into were looked at and fixed? I haven’t updated to 2020-11-04, BTW.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with lightdm not launching, I’m on nvidia-drivers 440xx.

How did you reinstall the nvidia drivers? Through pacman or mhwd?

Thanks

Edit: I went back prior to the update with timeshift, not sure when I should apply these updates as nvidia drivers don’t seem to work with kernel 5.9

Edit 2: Here’s how I fixed it

1. Ran the updates from Pamac GUI
  2. Ran sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime to uninstall 440xx drivers
  3. Ran sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-455xx-prime to install 455xx drivers
  4. Rebooted with no issues into kernel 5.9
3 Likes

Hi there!

I’m getting this error (translated from french…) during the pamac upgrade:
touch: cannot make a touch '/.config/mimeapps.list': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: line 873: /.config/mimeapps.list.new: No such file or directory

If I understand it correctly, something is trying to write a file in /.config, which obviously does not exist. :slightly_smiling_face: (or is it omitting my home folder?)
I can’t find anything about this online, and nothing wrong seems to have happened on my system, so no big deal, but if somebody happens to have a idea about what is going on…

P.S.: I’m using kernel 5.9.8-2-MANJARO on KDE Plasma 5.20.3.

Thanks!