[Stable Update] 2020-11-18 - Kernels, Plasma5, Frameworks, Thunderbird, Firefox, Mesa

My last update was on 2020-11-10.

At this time, mkinitcpio.conf was updated and a pacnew was created. The only difference was the use of “()” verses “""” for array lists. The only place encrypt appears is in an example HOOKS which is commented.

You should be able to confirm the creation of a pacnew file by looking at /var/log/pacman.log. I found it there. I also run pacman and pipe it to tee and save it in a timestamped file. I look for the following specifically:

less --pattern='(Generating|warning:|error:|New|Optional|[0-9]+/[0-9]+)'

Last I run: DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff

1 Like

I am getting below message in black screen after grub and then login screen shows up after 30 sec.

/dev/sda8: clean, XXX/YYY files, xxx/yyy blocks

sda8 is my root dir
DE : Gnome

@94afd24efe1948f87e7d,

Yes, you have to merge them manually. You can use the pacdiff tool to manage these files as it’s mentionned in my previous link.

Personaly, I’am using sudo DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff wich means that meld needs to be installed but you can also use nano, vim, …

1 Like

There was a grub.pacnew file and I used meld to manually avoid stepping on the caltrops. Accepting the whole file would have been disastrous.

The grub.pacnew in the last update is a good example. On my side, I rejected all the confilcts as I am not using the quiet splash + I have a grub theme + I am using custom kernel parameters.

So merging these files depends on your custom settings and may vary from one user to antoher.

@lah7 Try 0.19.0-2.2 which reverts this:

OpenVPN is not working for me anymore after the upgrade.

The connection attempt to the VPN service timed out. 

Dont now how to solve this. I tried downgrading to an older version but its not working as well. It shows me no older packages.
Any help appriciated.

After every update just run: DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff
It will take you through every pacnew and you can view, skip, remove. Read man page.
meld is a super nice gui diff tool. You can compare files side-by-side.

The pacnew files cannot be merged without being reviewed first. Some will get you in big trouble.

2 Likes

Solved in: Cannot boot after update, previous kernels do not load

Thank you very much! My system is working now again too. I also didn’t have a /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew. I had a grub.cfg.pacnew but this didn’t contain any critical changes (mainly some new spaces).

My system is asking for the encryption password twice now. Do you have this behavior too?

Hi Community,

I run a couple of laptops with Manjaro-Xfce on AMD hardware. Yesterday’s upgrade worked fine, but I was wondering as to why the upgrade pulled certain KDE components. I haven’t noticed that before, but then I don’t watch it all the time, hence I might missed it.

From the pacman logs:

cat /var/log/pacman.log | grep “2020-11-18” | grep -ie " k.*"
[2020-11-18T15:40:16+0000] [ALPM] upgraded kcoreaddons (5.75.0-1 -> 5.76.0-1)
[2020-11-18T15:40:16+0000] [ALPM] upgraded kauth (5.75.0-1 -> 5.76.0-1)
[2020-11-18T15:40:16+0000] [ALPM] upgraded kitemmodels (5.75.0-1 -> 5.76.0-1)
[2020-11-18T15:40:16+0000] [ALPM] upgraded kwindowsystem (5.75.0-1 -> 5.76.0-1)

Taken from this machine:

inxi
CPU: Dual Core AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 1296/1400/2600 MHz
Kernel: 5.9.8-2-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 23m Mem: 1695.8/13997.0 MiB (12.1%) Storage: 585.00 GiB (35.7% used) Procs: 242 Shell: Bash
inxi: 3.1.08

Why are those KDE components pulled into Manjaro-Xfce? I’m sure there is a reason, but I seem to miss it.

Fixed it. Had to install the last stable version from the Arch Linux Archive.
I think the problem in my case is the older vpn Server I try to connect to.

First uninstall openvpn via pacman. After this install it from the Archive in an older version:

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/o/openvpn/openvpn-2.4.9-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Install networkmanager again if necessary

sudo pacman -S networkmanager-openvpn

Restart network manager

systemctl restart networkmanager
1 Like

Hi @MaFo,

You can check dependancies with pamac or wathever you prefer.
You will notice that for example manjaro-settings-manager relies on theses dependancies.

You can also check the Manjaro Gitlab page: Projects · Applications / manjaro-settings-manager · GitLab

Try for a “better looking” Thunderbird 78 the two following addons (colored and no flat design)

Phoenity Buttons
Phoenity Icons

5 Likes

Hi @vcottineau,
Thanks for your response. I should have thought of that, but sometimes I miss the simple solutions. :wink:

I don’t but others did until they found a solution:

1 Like

I had similar problems for both linux59 and linux 58. Updating sddm by solved it for me.

grub.pacnew tries to override (disable) current Manjaro grub theme GRUB_THEME, and to modify GRUB_TIMEOUT and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

What to do about this :

:: OpenVPN now uses a netlink interface for network configuration. The systemd
   units start the process with a dedicated unprivileged user 'openvpn', with
   extra capabilities(7). The configuration should no longer drop privileges,
   so remove 'user' and 'group' directives.
   Scripts that require elevated privileges may need a workaround.