[Stable Update] 2020-08-28 - Kernels, Systemd, PAM, PAMBASE, KDE-git, Deepin, Pamac, Nvidia 450.66, LibreOffice 7.0

Everything went smooth :slight_smile:
Manjaro Gnome with Pop-shell

All good with the update, still got some weird looking orphan packages though, see: Pamac GUI - linux-latest, xorg-font-* and nvidia-latest-* shown as orphans

Everything went fine here. XFCE updated via TTY.

Update borked my display settings again. (KDE) Had to reset resolution and scaling factor. I’m wondering why this is still a consistent thing with every stable update?

[EDIT] not KDE-git. KDE stable.

All else went well, as usual.

Cinnamon 5.4, all went well, no issues. thank you.

When using kOrganizer,it says akonadi cant start due a problem with Akonai,doing this fix the issue

Had this weird problem witch seems to have solved itself.
After the update and a reboot the network was not working.
Checked, cables, swithes, dhcp server, other machines on the network.
Rebooted again, the ip configuration was not being set.
One failed service using (systemctl list-units --state=failed) the wait on network service witch seems to be expected with no connection.
Recreated the wired network configuration, with static, no network connection. (machine not reachable from other machines.
Reverted to a older kernel(5.7), still same issue.
Recreated wired network again, with dhcp defaults, no network, suspect hardware failure on the motherboard. Rebooted into an old windows10 installation, network was working so no hardware problem.
Rebooted to latest stable (5.8) kernel and network works again.

Source of the problem unknown, i found the lines below in the pacman update log, but after searching a bit is does not seems to be the cause of the problem.

[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM] running ‘30-systemd-sysctl.hook’…
[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
[2020-08-28T21:12:14+0200] [ALPM] running ‘30-systemd-tmpfiles.hook’…`

There are some errors in the systemd logs (journalctl -k -p err -b -# where # is the reboot count) for the previous boots where there was no network.

aug 28 22:42:22 XX kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: rtl_rxtx_empty_cond == 0 (loop: 42, delay: 100).
aug 28 22:42:32 XX kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: rtl_rxtx_empty_cond == 0 (loop: 42, delay: 100).

These errors are not there in the last boot when the network came up.

Problem solved I hope :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Are the bluetooth issues with the 5.8 kernel resolved with this release? TIA.

Everything appears to be fine. LibreOffice did not update. I’ll attempt to check it again later this evening.

EDIT: after a little searching, I found this:

sudo pacman -S libreoffice-fresh

This installed the new version. I imagine this is my fault for having it set to Still version.

I can no longer start xrdp sessions. I am getting the following message while starting Plasma through xrdp:
Could not sync environment to dbus.

Downgrading these packages fixes the issue:

pam 1.3.1-2 -> 1.4.0-3
pambase 20190105.1-2 -> 20200721.1-2

Before upgrading I had to delete /usr/bin/dunstify and after the upgrade I couldn’t authenticate, so I boot into rescue mode and ran pacdiff to overwrite /etc/pam.d/system-login.

1 Like

No issues - smooth upgrade - thanks Manjaro! You guys rock!

I’m getting these when upgrading systemd:

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
( 1/10) Creating system user accounts...
( 2/10) Updating journal message catalog...
( 3/10) Reloading system manager configuration...
Failed to reload daemon: Connection timed out
error: command failed to execute correctly
( 4/10) Updating udev hardware database...
( 5/10) Applying kernel sysctl settings...
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/rp_filter (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/accept_source_route (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/all/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
Not setting net/ipv4/conf/default/promote_secondaries (explicit setting exists).
(10/10) Reloading system bus configuration...
Failed to reload-or-try-restart dbus.service: Connection timed out
See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus.service' for details.
error: command failed to execute correctly

The system currently seems completely broken, dbus seems borked and systemd no longer works:

# systemctl status dbus.servic
Failed to get properties: Connection timed out

# systemctl restart mariadb.service && mariadb-upgrade -u root -p
Failed to restart mariadb.service: Connection timed out
See system logs and 'systemctl status mariadb.service' for details.
# systemctl status mariadb.service
Failed to get properties: Connection timed out

Switching to a virtual console no longer works (ends up on a black prompt but no login). There were no .pacnew files in pam.d. Tried reinstalling systemd but the result was the same.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Now Networkmanager starts acting up as well. Connection became unresponsive and spotty, I found this which looks promising, I’ll read it/try if/when the my connection becomes stable:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=258073

even after this update firefox is still at 79.0.

I don’t know, are they? :thinking:

All went fine on my main machine via TYY update, GNOME, 5.4 Kernel

Keep up the good work!

Did you try with replacing it with pamac-tray-icon-plasma package?

that is strange. does xrdp still uses tally by any chance? @RBX

Hmm, this is strange. Can you use a Manjaro install media and chroot into it? Then you may downgrade pam and pambase:

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/p/pam/pam-1.3.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/p/pambase/pambase-20190105.1-2-any.pkg.tar.xz

4 Likes

In my case, akonadi stopped working - unable to start mysql properly. Got it running with

sudo apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.akonadiserver

For some reason mariadb wasn’t able to read my (user side) mysql.conf file under ~/.local/share/akonadi after the update…

Updated on Manjaro KDE. Nvidia 450 is still unusable: black screen after prolonged suspend and window artifacts in system settings. I’ve tried turning off the D3 powersaving options for the nvidia module, but it seems to make no difference.

I am returning to 440.

Before I reboot, my update is frozen on updating grub:
(15/27) Updating Grub-Bootmenu Generating grub configuration file ... Found background: /usr/share/grub/background.png Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19-x86_64 Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64-fallback.img Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.14-x86_64 Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64-fallback.img Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9-x86_64 Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64-fallback.img

Now, the ethernet keeps dis/reconnecting; no disks are mounting; Timeshift not launching.

EDIT:
I interrupted the upgrade, checked grub for errors (no errors) and then rebooted. Everything seems okay, but I’ll go back to yesterday’s system backup and try again.

EDIT 2: After applying yesterday’s backup, the upgrade is frozen in the grub section again (over 30 minutes).