[Stable Update] 2020-08-22 - Kernels, Deepin, KDE-git, Firefox, Pamac, Nvidia 450, KDE Apps 20.08

try to install video-modesetting first

sudo mhwd -i pci video-modesetting

then you can go for 450xx

is in announcement " Firefox released another beta-release"
it’s firefox-developer (not firefox)

No issue on KDE

You can find the sources on Archlinux github project: packages, community. We have to see on how we may reactivate syncing …

Yes, this is a small system file that provides mhwd with information about the driver. It is not the whole Nvidia driver, so no worries!

It wasn’t you it was an issue with the old forums. Read here for the announcement and link to old forums for historical lookup of issues.

The app isn’t launching and the issue is minimal?

@airmailsteam use the terminal :wink:
Or report it to the devs of kde

otherwise systemd 246 is on stable sometime and this is nvm

Yes I can use journalctl and htop; but that’s not the point here

Thank you!
Keep up the good work…

To file a bug at kde bugtracker is bad advice: this is a packaging issue - not a software bug to be fixed upstream.

I also have AMDGPU. I think it’s confusing to install nvidia… something. No problem, it’s not a big deal.

But my REAL PROBLEM is that after this bunch of updates today 2020-08-23, KDE is not working properly anymore: menubar, app launcher, doesn’t appear anymore. So if I want to do something I have to call terminal (CTL+ALT+T) and then run from it; i.e: “dolphin”, enter and it works. To shut down: “CTL+ALT+DEL” and choose shutdown.

My kernel now is 5.8.1-3. It was working fine with kernel 5.8… before the big update.
Solution: I have to start Linux selecting kernel 5.7.15-1 and it boots and starts ok. But the idea is to use new kernel 5.8 (that’s why I chose Manjaro instead of Ubuntu, to use latest kernels always).

I don’t know if the problem is kernel, one of some of the updates or a missing configuration. For now I’ll keep using kernel 5.7.15 and avoid next updates. I’ll pay attention to this post for solutions.
Anyway, I don’t notice 5.8 is faster than 5.7, so it’s fine … for now…
Thank you very much

Update on 12 Systems and 1 VM without Problems.

DK3

KDE, 5.7.15-1

Everything went smoothly! Thanks for all the hard work.

Upgraded without any problem. But however when I upgraded my kernel to 5.8 the back port for mic doesn’t work. I had to revert back to kernel 5.7 to make the back port work.

My system info:

[System]
Arch: x86_64
Kernel: 5.7.15-1-MANJARO
Desktop: KDE
Display Server: x11

[CPU]
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Model: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Physical cores: 4
Logical cores: 8

[Memory]
RAM: 31.3 GB
Swap: 0.0 GB

[Graphics]
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.57
OpenGL Core: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.57
OpenGL ES: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 450.57
Vulkan: Supported

Seems to work properly, thanks! Though, I haven’t been able to get audio working on 5.8…

If you use KOrganizer to sync with Google Calendar,the service Akonadi is unable to start because of the recent package MariaDB update.you need to downgrade to version 10.4.14-1 all 3 packages

mariadb-10.4.14-1-x86_64
mariadb-clients-10.4.14-1-x86_64
mariadb-libs-10.4.14-1-x86_64

If you have those packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ you can install them

Edit: Looks like now stable has the 10.4 version,or maybe i was confusing packages.

xps9550,linux419,KDE, update OK

The grub security flaw can also be exploited by anything having root rights, without physical access. In other words a privilege escalation vulnerability, which do happen again and again, could seriously compromise a machine.

Thank you for the clarification, @Rupert.

@philm - did I misunderstand you?