[Stable Update] 2020-08-22 - Kernels, Deepin, KDE-git, Firefox, Pamac, Nvidia 450, KDE Apps 20.08

Does anyone know why GnuCash 4.1 has been left out of the last 2 stable updates? It was released on 7/26, almost a month ago, and was just a bug-fix release in the new 4.x series. Seems like it would be an easy send through.

Is there somewhere I can check to see status / get answers on package questions like this?

Same issue for me as reported here Sound from speakers no sound from 3.5mm jack-audio

inxi -Axza

Summary
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel alternate: snd_soc_skl,snd_sof_pci bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  chip ID: 8086:a348 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.1-3-MANJARO

inxi -F | rg snd

Summary

Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS driver: snd_hda_intel

`

as i attempt to run this update it is prompting me to install mhwd-nvidia-450xx. i run a AMD system and have amdgpu running. i recently moved to AMDGPU…is mhwd-nvidia part of the default install and im just now noticing? i usually skim through what gets updated and have never seen this before… thoughts?

havent ran update yet…want to get this answered first

1 Like

Updating went smooth.

Faced some minor issues when upgrading to nvidia 450xx drivers

• Un-installation of nvidia 440xx driver was not straightforward as it required removal of package ‘linux-latest-nvidia-440xx’ using pacman
  • After uninstall (of 440), the installation of 450xx was success but it was not loaded on reboot so had to reinstall 450xx driver & then added below config to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
    Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    Rebooted again & it worked

I had no issues during the update although it did pull in an additional Nvidia driver. This is odd because I don’t have an Nvidia GPU. I’m on a Syster76 Darter Pro, which has integrated graphics only.

Still having the problem described here:

i got the same…i use AMDGPU

Because Arch just updated it to 4.1 today. It’s now in the Manjaro unstable repo and will be in the next stable update.

After the update 2020-08-22 I cannot play Urban Terror anymore. When I start the game (should start in full screen) only a black window opens with sound of game and whole desktop freezes. Then I must kill the game from console and when return back to desktop my resolution is changed (becomes much smaller) and consequently all opened windows are resized with parts off the screen. The issue is present on kernels 4.19 and 5.8 and I use XFCE DE with Nvidia-430xx-bumblebee GPU driver. I have never had before an issue with Urban Terror on Manjaro. I haven’t tested much other things after the update. SM Player and Firefox seem to work fine.

I had little issues with nvidia 450.x drivers, but there is the solution.
I want to install new nvidia 450xx, but i can't remove 440x-prime drivers

Cinnamon 5.4 update went smooth, all is good. Thanks Manjaro team for yet another smooth update.

excellent update on plasma -

kernel 5.8 appears significantly faster / snappier / don’t know how to really test this.

Off-Question: With the ongoing discussion on grub, how do i know whether my system is susceptible? Does this apply to all grub users? What are the potential consequences of not doing the upgrade? I have a luks encrypted system and would not want to reinstall given all the time it takes to tweak the configuration.

You have all the nvidia drivers installed. You can check it out by typing mhwd-nvidia in pamac GUI or in the terminal with pacman -Ss

A post was split to a new topic: Cannot start X server after updating

Yea I noticed that after my comment but forgot to go back.

I found that the problem is caused by some changes in the HDA Realtek code in the Linux kernel since version 5.7.10. These changes have also been extended to all LTS kernel versions.

At the moment there are 2 ways how to “temporarily” solve this problem:

1. Compile and install kernel 5.7.9
  2. Compile any new kernel with a small patch, which somehow, but solves this problem (the patch needs to be customized for each laptop separately)

I’m currently trying to figure out exactly what change in the code caused this problem, but it will take some time.

1 Like

I was told that exploitation of the grub issue requires local access to the machine. Is that a scenario you’re worried about?

On the other hand, chrooting into an encrypted Manjaro installation and re-installing grub was much less of a hassle than I had initially assumed. Quite the educational experience, too.

thanks for your insight florian…

the machine is a desktop in my apartment - so no direct threat unless there is a break-in i would think.

however - your comment is well-taken. is there a guide for the chrooting process?

After upgrading my Manjaro KDE installation, I got welcomed with a “Failed to start Loading AppArmor Profiles” after booting and before the login screen. The system still “works” though. As in I’m typing this message now with it. Nevermind, the package firejail was the culprit. In my case I resolved the issue by unintalling it since I didn’t use it at all. But it seems the newest version which is released at 17 August got overlooked by the maintainer of the official repositories.

Not sure if related, but Still, KSystemLog “won’t start”/“won’t show up” after identifying with kdesu (or whatever it is nowadays). So I can’t verify if AppArmor was enabled before the installation. Hurray for binary log files.

After running it from the command line, I got this:

$ /usr/bin/ksystemlog -qwindowtitle KSystemLog
/usr/bin/ksystemlog: /usr/lib/libsystemd.so.0: version `LIBSYSTEMD_246' not found (required by /usr/bin/ksystemlog)

It doesn’t seem a permission problem. I tried running it as user and as root, with the same results.

1 Like

5.7 kernel, 440x nvidia drivers, gnome. Update went smoothly with the exception of ventoy blocked the upgrade from moving forward after downloading all the updates and checking the keys the following message came up:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
ventoy: /opt/ventoy/tool/ash exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

doing a sudo pacman -Rs ventoy left that ash file along with a few other files present so the upgrade still wouldn’t continue until I manually deleted the /opt/ventoy directory. This isnt’ the first time ventoy has had issues that block the upgrade from occurring I’m guessing this is an issue with the ventoy package. Anyway once the files where manually deleted the update proceeded fine. After I rebooted I re-added ventoy to my system.

I then removed the 440xx drivers via the manjaro settings (right click 440x drivers and selected remove). I had the gui show all the information and there were no errors or issues. I then clicked install 450xx drivers and everything installed without issues. I then rebooted and the new 450xx drivers seem to be working just fine. I also installed the 5.8 kernel as well and it seems to be working fine as well.

Thanks for all the hard work the team put into making this another smooth update.