[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

Green With Envy tray icon still bugged (like pacman) on KDE. emoji selector still broken.
Everything else works fine so far.

no problems on XFCE

update replaced riot-desktop + riot-web with element-desktop + element-web
all working as before with new name

and replaced non-session-manager with new-session-manager

old conky configuration files are probably not supported any more
see this page in wiki for how to convert conky.conf to new syntax
Configurations · brndnmtthws/conky Wiki · GitHub

conky/convert.lua at master · brndnmtthws/conky · GitHub

2 Likes

So just to confirm, I use OBS for recording videos using NVENC, will updating break this?

And if so is the solution to upgrade the nVidia drivers to 450?

Everything went fine apart from cuda, as it couldn’t update and kept throwing some errors related to pgp signature error.

Thanks for posting this!
Conky is now working for me.

1 Like

It broke mine.

Nvenc on OBS says my drivers are not up to date.

@philm I assume that if I re-installed grub following the instructions after the 2020-7-19 Stable update to fix the Boot-Hole issue that it is not necessary to re-install again now?

If so, could you please update the guidance in the Security Updates post? Thank you!

Does updating to the 450 driver fix it?

Haven’t tested it yet.

Two machines updated, no apparent casualties. Good job folks.

My installation is on a GPT partition which requires an 8MB bios-grub partition. How do I re-install grub on this setup?
Thanks,

Good news is that my AMD based Toshiba netbook will now boot with the updated 5.7 kernel, however the bad news is that it will not boot with the new 5.8 kernel.

Rebooted into a grub prompt on my iMac 12,1. I finally hit the alt (option) key at the right moment when booting to get into the EFI boot selector to make sure it was booting from the correct partition.

Booted fine after that.

Everything seems fine, except for the pamac indicator. I don’t have time at the moment to go through the linked thread, so will try to deal with it in the future. Otherwise, all’s well!

Well, shit, it broke mine as well.

I came back to stable from the testing branch in order to not go to the beta NVIDIA drivers, because of some issues I was having. Guess I’m screwed then.

• The CONKY PROBLEM -
    Timeshifted back and re-updated minus conky and still conky refuses to run manually and all conky’s are disabled in conky manager.
    From the info above cant follow what to do with convert.lua as the conky’s I use don’t have a .conf. Gotham, etc. And there is no bin dir in ~/.local either.

KDE, 5.7.14-1

Everything went smoothly! Thanks for all the hard work.

Yes, the new 450 driver works.
One way to install it for now is to use dkms and this repo: GitHub - Frogging-Family/nvidia-all: Nvidia driver 450 to 396 series AIO installer

Don’t forget to remove the 440 driver with mhwd first

1 Like

Yeah, some of the emoticons turned monochrome. I’m certain they were working before the update.

Fixed it following the instructions provided here: