[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

I am running KDE and haven’t noticed any sticky notes after standby. But then again, I haven’t used sticky notes.

when i write the path in dolphin/kdialog and i do an autofill with TAB, there isnt a / at the end, so i cant write the next folder instantly

one guy in reddit said, that he does not have this issue on neon. did you do this on purpose? how do i change it? it is really annoying and slows me down

So am I. I never spent much time on here before but within a day of re-joining have already run into issues. I would not like to lose this valuable resource so will be treading on eggshells, so to speak, whenever I post here, until I am fully familiar with the new rules and guidelines.

Some people have mentioned bluetooth audio issues. Was this with the 5.8 kernel? …as it still works fine for me on the 5.7 kernel, which I’m using. Doing the upgrade didn’t fetch a new 5.8 kernel in my case (upgrades usually do fetch the newer ones).

Maybe another sudo pacman -Syyu tonight wil reveal more …

I’d also like to note that the Octopi notifier was still on green before doing the above last night; it turned red only when I issued the pacman command (I always run upgrades from terminal anyway).

All good and working smooth on my KDE version on 5.7.
Thought of sticking with 57 for a while as I saw few of them reporting bluetooth and soundcard issues on kernel 5.8!

I have a dual boot unencrypted system. I updated grub after a complete system-upgrade like below!

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes 

After this, windows took precedence over grub as default boot loader. So all I did was making manjaro grub as default bootloader in bios(Go and change the boot order in BIOS and you are good to go!). That’s it I was able to boot into my newly updated system!

1 Like

Update to the new 5.8.0-2 Kernel failed, because every (dkms-) module failed to build,
which led to unusable WLAN/ LAN / Bluetooth, SD-Cardreader, etc. which rely on modules.

Reverting / Deinstalling 5.8.0 Kernel and using 5.7.XX Kernel helped.

Any solution for this?

Updated to x3 KDE machines. No issues running kernel 5.7.14-1.

1 Like

Updated my second machine, a Dell XPS 13. No problems at all, updating via the command line.

Press Esc for appears Grub on boot
go in details > select your kernel

line kernel with * will boot for next time

Apparently libreoffice-fresh is still at its 6.4.5-2 version on ArchLinux, so you should likely wait…

1 Like

yes there are known bluetooth issues with the 5.8 kernel at this time. Below is a link to another one but per that bug report there are also 14 other bluetooth issues that are queued up to be fixed with the next update of 5.8 so if you have bluetooth issues on the current 5.8 kernel you may want to use 5.7 until the nextt 5.8 update to see if they get resolved.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/67502

After the last update, firefox is also suffering. Do you have such a problem?

Hi, with this update problem with Firefox and Thunderbird KDE file selection appered. Now it not working any more. You are supposed to use GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 somewhere again?

What exactly do you mean by “suffering”? I personally haven’t experienced any issues in firefox since the new update. I’m a pretty heavy firefox users as well. It is my primary browser and I typically have 30+ tabs open at minimum at any given time and haven’t noticed anything not working correctly.

thanks for the reminder, how to select the standard kernel to boot from. :wink:

It was easier and faster for me just to deinstall it… This is not my gaming thingy to play with…

Another issue after upgrading:

The battery indicator in the KDE info area on my laptop doesn’t show up anymore, neither when runnning on battery nor when its connected (loading) the battery.

Its also not hidden under the little arrow, so it seems not working…

It’s a really weird bug, say for example I’m typing something in libre writer, I close my laptop lid and it goes to sleep, resume the session and there is a sticky note on the desktop with the last paragraph I have just typed in libre writer???

That is weird. Sounds almost as if there were a program running in the background that records what you type and writes it into a sticky note. Hope it’s not a virus or any other malicious software.
Any hibernate/suspend actions defined? Does it matter if you move the focus to a different application or even close libre writer before suspending? Does it also happen when you suspend from a menu and not by closing the lid?

You’re right, it works! Thanks!

Ah yes. Another update that changed ALSA from 6ch output to 2ch output. Fixing it in alsamixer feels almost natural already, but… is there a way to make this change permanent across updates? Mh?

…also there is also this new error thing… doesn’t seem to affect much though, sound is still 6ch:

sudo alsactl store
alsactl: get_control:256: Cannot read control '3,0,0,Playback Channel Map,0': Invalid argument