[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

I had something similar on the early 5.7 series. My fix was to move to testing branch and to 5.8, now 5.8.1 on testing. Not sure if it was just the kernel, but that solved the issue. Your milage may vary though…

1 Like

Just did the update on Gnome, 5.7 kernel, nvidia 440 drivers. Everything is working great (aside from the known issues with NVENC mentioned in posts above).

1 Like

Good morning. I installed conky-manager2 from the AUR but it doesn’t work for me.

You still have to convert your conky’s.

1 Like

The update requested me to remove nvidia-xrun. Now when I want to install the package, it wants me to change the kernel to a newer version. I am on 4.9 because the higher version caused random freezes from time to time.

There is a nice thread for Conky conversion going here, mentioned above by @Lunix:

1 Like

While the update itself went completely fine, switching to linux58 introduced a rather strange issue relating audio. I have an onboard Realtek ALC1220 sound card and there’s an amp hooked up to the front speaker analog output. Now, if I turn on my computer with the amp being turned off, all of my analog outputs are gone from the audio mixer in KDE and there’s nothing else to choose from the drop down menu but the unused digital output. Reverting back to linux57 or turning on the amp during boot and running “pulseaudio --kill” upon logging into KDE seems to temporarily resolve the issue. The strangest part is that even if the analog output doesn’t show up and none of the applications are able to produce any sound (Firefox, SMPlayer, etc.), my trusty old pal deadbeef is acting as if nothing happened and plays any music I throw at it as it’s using its own ALSA output plugin.

Upgrade went ok.
KDE, i5-4670, cpu gfx, kernel 5.4

I noticed one problem, though. When I open the context menu in Dolphin on a media file, e.g. an mp3 file, and select MediaInfo, the MediaInfo application opens as expected, but it does not display any information. If I drag and drop the mp3 file into the opened window, it will display the expected information. Can someone else confirm this? Is it a Manjaro or a KDE problem?

Hmm, I closed Dolphin, started it and tried it again and now it’s working. Weird. :confused:
I’ll check again after my next reboot. (I had rebooted several times after the upgrade. Anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Where is PKGBUILD of Xorg-Server 1.20.8-4?
I cannot find it on gitlab.manjaro.org (eg. Projects · Packages / Extra / Xorg Packages v1.20 / xorg-server · GitLab)

Is an Arch package

But they have even older version Xorg-Server 1.20.8-2

Openbox user here ! Update was fine, except for the Conkies. But this was resolved easily with the above solution. At the occasion, i have switched from LTS kernel to the new 5.8 :sweat_smile:

I am running KDE and haven’t noticed any sticky notes after standby. But then again, I haven’t used sticky notes.

when i write the path in dolphin/kdialog and i do an autofill with TAB, there isnt a / at the end, so i cant write the next folder instantly

one guy in reddit said, that he does not have this issue on neon. did you do this on purpose? how do i change it? it is really annoying and slows me down

So am I. I never spent much time on here before but within a day of re-joining have already run into issues. I would not like to lose this valuable resource so will be treading on eggshells, so to speak, whenever I post here, until I am fully familiar with the new rules and guidelines.

Some people have mentioned bluetooth audio issues. Was this with the 5.8 kernel? …as it still works fine for me on the 5.7 kernel, which I’m using. Doing the upgrade didn’t fetch a new 5.8 kernel in my case (upgrades usually do fetch the newer ones).

Maybe another sudo pacman -Syyu tonight wil reveal more …

I’d also like to note that the Octopi notifier was still on green before doing the above last night; it turned red only when I issued the pacman command (I always run upgrades from terminal anyway).

All good and working smooth on my KDE version on 5.7.
Thought of sticking with 57 for a while as I saw few of them reporting bluetooth and soundcard issues on kernel 5.8!

I have a dual boot unencrypted system. I updated grub after a complete system-upgrade like below!

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes 

After this, windows took precedence over grub as default boot loader. So all I did was making manjaro grub as default bootloader in bios(Go and change the boot order in BIOS and you are good to go!). That’s it I was able to boot into my newly updated system!

1 Like

Update to the new 5.8.0-2 Kernel failed, because every (dkms-) module failed to build,
which led to unusable WLAN/ LAN / Bluetooth, SD-Cardreader, etc. which rely on modules.

Reverting / Deinstalling 5.8.0 Kernel and using 5.7.XX Kernel helped.

Any solution for this?

Updated to x3 KDE machines. No issues running kernel 5.7.14-1.

1 Like

Updated my second machine, a Dell XPS 13. No problems at all, updating via the command line.