Stable Gnome Music Player

Hi. I know this is a very personal choice for a lot of people, so I’m trying to narrow it down as much as I can.

I’m using Manjaro Gnome, latest version. Love it! First time I’ve ever had not only a positive experience, but an overwhelmingly great experience! I don’t want to change. But, I’m running into a problem using Deadbeef music player.

Deadbeef is a terrific music player. I like the sound quality, it’s lightweight, and it’s very easy to customize and use. But, all of my music is on another hard drive. I don’t mind mounting the other volume for Deadbeef to access the Music folder there, but about an hour into playing; Deadbeef crashes. It doesn’t just stop playing. It Crashes.

So, I’m looking for a stable gnome music player that will be able to access from another drive, have really nice to great sound quality, and is easy to use. I don’t want a Terminal app, either.

Any thoughts out there? Thanks!

In a UNIX-like operating system, it doesn’t matter what drive the files are on, because UNIX doesn’t work with drives. It works with a uniform directory hierarchy.

What’s more likely is that there is filesystem corruption on the filesystem containing your music ─ which I’m guessing will be a Windows filesystem, and in that case, I can only advise you to disable Windows Fast Boot, because it doesn’t properly shut down your filesystems, causing the Linux kernel to interpret those filesystems as being “possibly damaged”.

Another possibility, if it is a physically different drive, is that there might be a data transfer issue, and/or that the drive with your music is on its way south.

That said, I can’t help you with a GNOME-specific music player. I’m running KDE Plasma as my desktop environment, and I use JuK as my music player. My music is also on a separate partition (but on the same SSD), albeit that this is not a Windows partition ─ I don’t do Windows. And I’ve been playing music for whole afternoons on end without any problems. That’s why I suspect either a filesystem issue or a hardware issue in your case. :thinking:

Thanks, @Aragorn. I have a one year old 500GB SSD for Manjaro and programs. I’m using a EXT4 filesystem on a separate HDD. It’s a 1TB drive, and about four months old. I’d really hate to think it’s going that fast. :slight_smile: But, that’s not to say it’s not.

I’m with you; no Windows stuff here. I don’t know why I’ve been having problems, but I’m willing to try out different players. I’m hoping someone with a somewhat similar setup might have been using something they really like.

I appreciate your ideas, though. I’ll see if I can determine the health on that HDD.

If you find a program that you need access to another drive with that you can’t access inside the program you can just put a softlink to your home directory.

For instance if you have your other drive mounted as say /mnt/storage and you had a folder that is called mymp3s on that drive that you wanted to access as if it was on your home directory you could soft link that folder either directly into your home folder or into your music folder in your home drive.

ln -s /mnt/storage/mymp3s/ ~/music/mymp3s

That would create a softlink from your other drive’s folder to your music directory on your home folder. The program should then think that it is just a folder on your home directory but any alterations to that folder really take place on your other hard drive.

You of course would need to alter that command to suit where your other hard drive is mounted and where you want to place the link.

As for media players I have never used the one you mentioned. I am currently using Audacious when I want to listen to music from files on the computer. I have also used clementine. You could just download them one at a time and try them. I personally don’t like clementine but others do. It is subjective on what you will like.

Maybe it’s not the HDD itself, but the connector. If you’re playing music from that HDD for an extended time, then maybe the temperature in that area will go up and the connector starts losing contact.

I know, it’s far-fetched, but I’ve heard about the weirdest things happening. Try and re-seat the connectors and see what gives. :wink:

That’s an interesting idea, @Lord_Phan. I might give the softlink idea a go. I was doing a little digging, and a lot of people seem to like Audacious. I’ll give it a shot and see what happens first. If I don’t have any problems, I’m going to go with Problem Solved. :smiley:

@Aragorn, that’s also an interesting idea. I’m on a laptop; and yes…anything can happen. I’ll have time to check that out on Tuesday. Thanks again!

1 Like

Have you tried launching it from the terminal, and see if error messages are output there when it crashes?

1 Like

:man_facepalming: No, @maycne.sonahoz, I haven’t. I’ll do that tomorrow. Thank you very much for reminding me of this. Have to admit; I’ve gotten spoiled. Manjaro has just simply worked that I’ve forgotten some of the basics already. :crazy_face:

Howdy!
I personaly enjoy Rhythmbox, it is just fine, in my opinion :upside_down_face:

I might have found the problem. I’m a little embarrassed, but it’s interesting none-the-less. As I’m listening to my music library, there are times I find something I don’t want to listen to…ever. So, I’ll delete a song or album through Deadbeef. Within a half hour, Deadbeef just stops with a Core Dump. I’ve gone into the library to delete what I know I want to get rid of, and then started running Deadbeef again. And, guess what? It’s not crashing. So, there’s something odd about the way Deadbeef access/deletes from songs from another hard drive. No matter; I think the problem has been solved. The interesting thing? I still think that Deadbeef sounds better than the Audacious, Rhythmbox, and Clementine. I really didn’t go any further, because I think I’ve found the problem.

I want to thank everyone, though. You’re input really did help in finding out what was going on.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.