Sporadic failure to open display (Plasma, X11)

Occasionally, with no obvious cause that I can see (in the middle of a session, not immediately after logging in), I stop being able to open X programs either from the applications menu or from the command line. The error message from the command line is (e.g.)

$ xev
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

xev:  unable to open display ':0'

All of the fixes that I’ve seen floating around for this error relate to remote applications, while in this case it is strictly local.

Basic system info:
Kernel

$ uname -a
Linux red-kite 6.4.6-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Jul 25 09:30:58 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Video card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X] (rev c7) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X]

The only solution I’ve found is to log out and log in again (no need to reboot).

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Added after re-logging in:
Needs Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to logout.

amdgpu module is loaded.

looks like its something you did …
create a new test user in system settings, reboot, log in with the test user and see if it has the same issue…

I really do not see how that could help.

This is a sporadic occurrence that happens only after I have been logged in for several days. The only immediately visible symptom being that when I try to start a program it doesn’t.

As it is an infrequent heisenbug (average interval greater than the typical interval between kernel upgrades), the main question is whether there is a way to restore X access without logging out?

as @brahma already suggested ! create a new user and log in as this new user. if the problem does not longer exist with the new user then something with your personal profile of the origin user failed. if the problem still exists with the new user too then something in general settings fails !
this is the first step of troubleshooting of a mysterious problem.

I’m not clear how this would be done:

1. Create a user, use “Switch user” to access when the problem manifests. My guess is it would be unlikely to be possible, since logging out needed Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

2. Create a user and have parallel sessions, and use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to access the dummy user when the problem arises and see if the other session has it too.

3. Work as the new user until the problem occurs (or doesn’t). Unfortunately not practical as this is a working machine where I need my settings to work effectively (and the problem has so far happened 2 or 3 times in as many months) and copying all of ~/.config and ~/.local would defeat the object of the exercise.

Well if you are not willing to trouble-shoot an error that happens “after several days of login” without a clean user config, how do you expect to find the cause?

It could be literally anything in your configs or applications used that mess-up stuff. :woman_shrugging:

Plus your problem seems to be related to the window manager but you didn’t provide any info about that…

inxi -zSG

Exactly, it could be almost anything.

So the only likely chance of an explanation was if it was something reasonably well-known. I was more hoping that someone might know of an X reset command that could circumvent the need to log out.

FWIW:

inxi -zSG
System:
  Kernel: 6.4.6-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.6
    Distro: Manjaro Linux
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X]
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 with: Xwayland v: 23.1.2 driver: X:
    loaded: amdgpu unloaded: modesetting,radeon dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
    resolution: 2560x1440
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.4 renderer: AMD Radeon RX 550 / 550 Series
    (polaris12 LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.52 6.4.6-1-MANJARO)

Window manager:

Version
=======
KWin version: 5.27.6
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Qt compile version: 5.15.10
XCB compile version: 1.15

Operation Mode: X11 only

Might be worth me trying cuda_memtest (which is supposed to work for AMD gpu’s as well as Nvidia).

you can delete the .Xauthority file from your home folder, if there are more than one, delete them all, and immediately reboot and see if it still happens…
also check if you have a xorg.conf in here:
find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"
or better, post the output here…

Thanks for those ideas, I’ll give removing .Xauthority a try, that rings a bell from very old problems with remote applications (late '90’s or early 2000’s).

There is no xorg.conf file to be seen.

$ find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf

(Interestingly I don’t have a touchpad)

good, there should be no xorg.conf there…
ok, so try it with the xauthority and see how it works…

I’ll do that when I’m next going to reboot (either because of an update or a recurrence of the problem).

Aside: The disappearance of xorg.conf is something of a reminder of how far we have come in the last quarter-century or so. I remember manually editing XFree86 modelines in Red Hat 4.2 to get the display area to map correctly to the CRT monitor.

I did remove .Xauthority before the next reboot.

However the problem recurred tonight. No messages at all in dmesg or in Xorg.log for at least 12 hours prior.

Did you find a solution? I have exactly the same problem. Usually it takes a few days for it to occur.

inxi -zSG                                                             
System:
  Kernel: 6.6.10-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5
    Distro: Manjaro Linux
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 545.29.06
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 545.29.06
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.10 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    gpu: nvidia,nvidia
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: kms_swrast,nvidia,swrast
    platforms: gbm,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: mesa v: 23.3.3-manjaro1.1
    note: incomplete (EGL sourced) renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 16.0.6 256 bits),
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
  API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.

That kernel is dead since September '23, I’d first install a current one and update the system.

@yt87 No I didn’t.The problem being that all the suggested diagnostic procedures were more intrusive than the problem. Your result seems to rule out Radeon driver issues.

@6x12 The original posting was in August '23, I generally use the current version except that I avoid x.y.0 versions and wait for the next micro version. The issue has been seen sporadically seen in all kernels up to the current 6.6 release.

Few more tests, no solution yet:

xauth -v
xauth:  file /tmp/xauth_kOikVE does not exist
Using authority file /tmp/xauth_kOikVE
xauth> quit
xdpyinfo 
Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0".
unset XAUTHORITY
xdpyinfo 
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":0".
xauth info  
Authority file:       /home/george/.Xauthority
File new:             no
File locked:          no
Number of entries:    5
Changes honored:      yes
Changes made:         no
Current input:        (argv):1

The file/home/george/.Xauthority was likely created during system installation (dated July last year). I have no idea where /tmp/xauth_kOikVE came from.
I still have to digest https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/shda0q/authorization_required_but_no_authorization/

After a few more tests:

I think I know what is happening.
During logging, a xauth file is created in /tmp. This is the one used for authorisation, not ~/.Xauthority. After 10 days, entries in /tmp are purged by systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service:

cat /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf  
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

# See tmpfiles.d(5) for details

# Clear tmp directories separately, to make them easier to override
q /tmp 1777 root root 10d
q /var/tmp 1777 root root 30d

and that is when X programs refuse to run.
However, something creates a file ~/.Xauthority:

ls -l ~/.Xauthority 
-rw------- 1 george staff 197 Jan 27 19:31 .Xauthority
ls -l /tmp/xauth_tFqmRW
-rw------- 1 george staff 94 Jan 27 19:43 /tmp/xauth_tFqmRW

This is my desktop. I also have a laptop with the same version of Manjaro. There, xauth shows that the file used is ~/.Xauthority, as expected. So, something is messed up on my desktop.