Speedtest-cli and website produce completely different results

Hello!

I noticed that speedtest-cli-2.1.3-2 and speedtest.net produce completely different results. I tried rebooting the router, computer and replugging the wifi adapter, but the results are equally bad in the cli version

Cli results:

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Turkcell Superonline (**********)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by TheZone Ltd. (Svishtov) [415.21 km]: 87.722 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 2.16 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 2.40 Mbit/s

Website results: https://www.speedtest.net/result/13427539895

It canā€™t be a coincidence, I tried several times at different times

Also I tried ā€œno-installā€ version of cli:

$ curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -                                                                                                                                                                      
Testing from Turkcell Superonline (**********)...
Hosted by TheZone Ltd. (Svishtov) [415.21 km]: 98.661 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 1.90 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 2.24 Mbit/s

The only thing that matters is the real world performance of your connection.

But if you want to know where the differences between the test methods come from:
I donā€™t know.

Perhaps your providerā€™s DNS is slow to respond - which could really slow down (real world) things.

Try using a different DNS if you feel the connection is slow when it should not be ā€¦

1 Like

Over the years, Iā€™ve seen speedtest-cli do this even on my wired desktop.

Iā€™ve been using the cli version of Fast.com.

After install, I moved the launcher to a hidden folder (.fast), then created an alias:

alias st=ā€˜/home/keith/.fast/fastā€™

Out of curiosity, try with the --secure flag:

speedtest --secure

And make sure you do not use the --single flag.

EDIT: I also noticed you used a different remote server for the command-line speedtest, compared to the website. Make sure to use the same remote servers.

1 Like

I moved to cloudflare DNS and nothing changed

$ speedtest --secure                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Testing from Turkcell Superonline (*****)...
Hosted by iNES Group SRL (Bucharest) [444.76 km]: 152.542 ms
Download: 2.13 Mbit/s
Upload: 3.05 Mbit/s

I couldnā€™t run server found by website, it says that id invalid idk why
So I used cli and switched to selected by cli server on website

$ speedtest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Testing from Turkcell Superonline (*****)...
Hosted by 4Cloud Teknoloji (Istanbul) [1.86 km]: 75.308 ms
Download: 2.21 Mbit/s
Upload: 2.86 Mbit/s

Website result

As you can see, servers is same but results are still very different

I wil check it out but looks like there are no upload speed

True. Download speed only.

The only reason to have such high upload bandwidth is to seed torrents of bootleg piratā€“, erm, TOTALLY LEGAL LINUX ISOS.

:no_mouth:

@winnie

1 Like

I only torrent Linux ISOs and public domain books.

i-only-seed-linux-isos

1 Like

Letā€™s keep it real.
I mentioned real world data for a reason.

Is there an actual complaint?
And what is it?

as far as I have read and understood this topic so far:
something appears to be faster
or slower
depending on the tool used to gauge the speed.

Are there actual implications of that difference?

A thread about speetest-cli lying when the website is telling the truth. Other tools, such as downloading a large file via wget, indicate that the speed is much faster that speedtest-cli tells

Mkay.
ā€¦ someone here said that the server used to run the test was different between the two methods ā€¦
which might invalidate the whole comparison :wink:

How do you know which one is ā€œtelling the truthā€ ā„¢?
ā€¦ real world ā€¦ perhaps? :wink:

Good grief folks. Speed tests are dependent on a lot of things. Itā€™s possible the CLI version ends up using a different server than the website.

speedtest-cli doesnā€™t appear to be in active development. However, thereā€™s an official Ookla Speedtest CLI application available in the AUR as speedtest:

In a broader sense, if one disagrees with another, it does not mean either of them are lying. In this case, programs only do what they were programmed to do.

Please look at entire thread.

I have used the SAME servers for test. And I tried to use ā€œno-installā€ latest official speedtest-cli. In past, speedtest-cli was working fine but now there are that strange results

I am using a metaphor. To put it more correctly, the results of the site are much closer to reality. speedtest-cli absolutely always gives results several times worse and I was not able to confirm their authenticity, since all applications download much faster

We see a very strange situation: speedtest-cli, using the X server says ā€œ3 Mbpsā€, and the website, using the server X, says ā€œ25 Mbpsā€. And trying to download some file shows that the website is more right

When calculating the speed of a connection - thereā€™s a lot of factors.

It is very difficult to identical results as any bandwidth test will be influenced by

• the actual route - which may change between tests - e.g. ISP load balance or endpoint load balance.
  • any given activity on the system
  • any given activity on the local network
  • the method used to calculate the bandwidth
  • is the test executed from a wifi ap
  • is the test executed through a local router
  • is the test executed connecting directly to the ISP (without local routing)

This is just the scenarios I could pull from memory - thereā€™s likely more.

Even if you are using a browser based test - the browser may influence the test - e.g.browser plugins/add-on.

I have noted the differences with speedtest-cli as well - but it is nothing to worry about - it likely due to differences in calculations and you should not put too much trust into them.

In fact when using ookla from the web browser - the calculations is always showing a better speed than my subscription allows for - which makes me think the algorithm for the ookla web test is too generous - but I have no way of knowing for sure.

I wouldnā€™t go as far as saying lies more like inaccurate which likely describes the results better.

You would likely get more accurate result by timing your download using time and curl then calculate the transfer by hand.

You could then upload the same file to a server under your control again using time and any upload method supported by your server.

Remember the speed testing business is about money - about attracting a lot of testers to get baselines and sell the results - they also show ads on their web - so your data is being collected and the service is not because of your pretty blue eyes - itā€™s the data you provide them.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.