SPDIF Output not working

Intel NUC8i7HVK
CPU: Intel i7-8809G 3.10GHz
RAM: 31.3GB
GPU: AMD VEGA M
Kernal: 5.8.11-1-MANJARO Plasma Minimal

I’m new to linux. I am not getting sound output using SPDIF and was wondering if anyone might know how to troubleshoot the problem. The SPDIF cable does have a red light going through and when I unplug and plug it back in there’s a notice that says “polaris 22 hdmi audio digital surround 5.1 (hdmi 5)”

Please run inxi -Fazy and pa-info and post the output of both.

inxi -Fazy #it wouldn’t let me post result because no links rule but I didn’t see what link it was referring to?

Audio:
Device-1: Intel CM238 HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:a171
Device-2: AMD Polaris 22 HDMI Audio vendor: Intel driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 1002:ab08
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.11-1-MANJARO

pa-info #results were so large that I’m not sure how to view the beginning/top again.

Run

cd
pa-info > pa-info.out
curl --upload-file pa-info.out https://aptget.xyz

and post the link that you get.

It again told me I can’t post links, I just split it below:
http://
aptget.xyz/eerNo/pa-info.out

In the system settings, you can change the default audio output device? What options do you have there?

System Settings - Audio - Devices (tab) - Playback Devices - HDMI . DisplayPort 5 (Polaris 22 HDMI Audio Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI5))
#Appears to be no way to change Playback Devices

System Settings - Audio - Advanced (tab) - Polaris 22 HDMI Audio - Profile:
Digital Stereo (HDMI 5) Output #Plays sound through HDMI
Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 5) Output #Plays sound through HDMI
Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI 5) Output #Plays sound through HDMI
Digital Stereo (HDMI 6) Output #Plays sound through the DisplayPort out ASUS monitor speakers
Off

#I tried uploading screenshot but it says, no embedded media in post…this forum is quite limiting

I have the same machine as you. Driver support for I/O is flakey. For instance, I never got HDMI audio working without crackling. Currently have a bluetooth headset for audio.