Sound setup for music creation

I have been trying to get the audio set up for music creation for the past week or so but failing.

Hardware wise I have a Scarlett 2i4 Which I understand is good on Linux.

My chosen DAWs are Bitwig and Reaper (both currently still in demo mode).

I have watched some tutorial Videos and had some help from a random person. I understand that for low latency I need either Pipewire or Jack. I have Cadence installed although I dont really understand what’s going on there.

In Bitwig when configuring Audio I can only get sound on Pulse Audio. I get no options for output in Pipewire. Jack shows me output options but I get no sound from them. However the sound meter in Bitwig is showing activity.

In Reaper I get Sound in Pulse Audio and ALSA but not in Jack and I have no pipewire option in Reaper.

From my understanding Pipewire should be first preference and Jack if Pipewire inst an option.

Please help me get sound.

Did you actually install pipewire?

pamac install manjaro-pipewire

From my understanding pipewire is there by default?

But I just ran that command. It gave me 4 options

1: easyeffects: advanced equalizer and effects
2: pipewire-jack: Jack support
3: pipewire-v4l2: V4L2 interceptor
4: pipewire-x11-bell: X11 bell

I assumed I needed pipewire-jack So I selected that and I get this output.

Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:

• removing jack2 breaks dependency ‘jack2’ required by jack2-dbus
  • removing pulseaudio breaks dependency ‘pulseaudio=16.1-1’ required by pulseaudio-jack

I advised you on r/linuxaudio earlier today about how to setup JACK. I suggested that you come here if you needed further help with this mainly to get away from the dogmatic reddit users

But If you now prefer to start over using PipeWire instead of JACK it is probably better to continue the discussion back on r/linuxaudio

I have no idea. I just want low latency sound. I don’t know which is better Pipewire or Jack. So far most of the advice and tutorials have pointed to Pipewire. Personally I don’t care which so long as I can make music.

If PipeWire was default there would be no need to install additional packages pipewire-pulse and pipewire-jack to replace pulseaudio and jack2

If you only want to play music via a DAW with the lowest possible latency, Ardour developers recommend using just ALSA:
Set the Focusrite card Profile to Off in PulseAudio/PipeWire so it can be used exclusively by the DAW in ALSA.
Use onboard audio with PulseAudio/PipeWire for other audio

The main developer of Ardour is a fan of PipeWire but even he thinks it is “not quite ready for use on the pro-audio side yet” and still uses JACK and PulseAudio